Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater confusion

• 03-11-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Hi, noticed over the past few days the hot water in the evenings was not as hot as it used to be. So, had a look at the wires going into the elements in the hot press. I would take a photo of the arrangement, only it is a bit confined in there so will have to describe it instead.The brown wire that's coming from the timer and main switch is going onto a terminal on the heater, and another black wire going onto another terminal. The neutral wire is going into the thermostat and from there into two more terminals that are bridged together. I have put a phase tester on both the black and brown terminals on the heater and then flipped the bath/sink switch, but the supply is there either way. I thought when you flip that switch that the power was supposed to change between both terminals.The power seems to be at both terminals no matter what the position of the switch. I have drained all the warm water to see if the water will get hot later. Any ideas folks, James.

P.s on the cover over the elements it says 2/2.5kw so assuming dual elements:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if the stat is 'open' they'll both show live regardless of bath/sink position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Oh so you are saying that the thermostat could be gone!

if it's opening at low temperature.a neutral problem will show similar symptoms.
    stat will be live one side only if it's open

Well it is only live at the side that is connected to the probe thats in the tank. Dont know why the neutral side is connected to the stat though:confused:

it's a common stat .for a single immersion it would go on live side of load

• Advertisement

Oh right, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Why do you have a picture of a car on this thread?

Solair wrote: »
    Why do you have a picture of a car on this thread?

Thats my signature, its on all my threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

I'm havin a slightly different problem. same immersion I think but doesnt seem to heat the water much. Both sink and bath terminals have 230 no matter which way the switch is. Stat is showing closed and has 230 at both sides. I havnt changed an immersion in about 5 years but should still know this

I'm havin a slightly different problem. same immersion I think but doesnt seem to heat the water much. Both sink and bath terminals have 230 no matter which way the switch is. Stat is showing closed and has 230 at both sides. I havnt changed an immersion in about 5 years but should still know this

Well with my one there was power at the probe end of the thermos but not at the other end, but suppose there wouldn't be because its the neutral wire.There was power at both live wires with mine aswell . Got a new one today and its a slightly bigger wattage with a safety cut-out that my old one has'nt, so going to fit and I hope thats the problem.

• Advertisement

I had some nightmare of a day:mad:. Tried putting in the new heater in the tank and shut off the water and drained the header tank, then realized didn't need to do this just shut off valve from header to bottom of immersion tank. Then to my horror I found that the water level was still high so when I removed the heater the water overflowed:mad::mad:. Turned off every valve I could see and still no joy. In the end had to get a funnel and a container to take the over flow. The drain at the bottom of immersion tank would not allow water to drain out. Then when I eventually got the heater off found out that the new one was too loooonngg by about a foot. Out again and in with the old one and it leaked a bit. I could not have known the length of the old one cause I had no spanner for it at the time, so into town Monday first thing. Let that be a lesson to any one doing this bloody job :mad::mad::mad:.

Does anyone know how I could free off the drain valve at the bottom of the immersion tank, seems to be stuck. I have tried blowing through a pipe connected to the outlet, and sucking through it but there is no water coming. I have also tried tapping the valve with a hammer and still no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

This is why I let plumbers change immersions.

ya,not worth the hassle if there's a leak.

I don't know why I bloody started this bloody job.:mad: Brought back the old heater anyway and went to another shop to get the proper one this time the right size. Removed the old one had to use the funnel again (drain valve still stuck). Anyway to cut a long story short, put back the new one with plumbers tape and the sealing washer, and it leaked :mad::mad:. Gave it another little tighten, and it seems to be leak free:D. Then wired every thing back up and when I tested for power at the terminals, there was power at both terminals AGAIN!!. But, when I turned up the thermostat, it clicked and there was only power at one of the terminals BINGO!! AlLELUIA!!. So the lesson to be learned is, if the power is at both terminals the thermos is off and when it clicks in power will only be at one of them ie bath/sink, Maybe it was the thermostat on the old one was gone all along. Oh well know next time :rolleyes:;)

P.S Sorry to be so long winded:o

Advertisement