Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manual Handling

• 03-11-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Quick one for all services,

Do any of the emergency services teach a manual handling course specific to their occupation or do they teach a generic one (FETAC module).

Given that each job has various tasks and lifting hazards, I imagined that there should be a variety of courses being taught but I am led to believe that some fire services at least are teaching a generic course. Would this be adequate.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of voluntary orgs but all input would be welcome as voluntaries normally follow frontline.
    Have any of the voluntaries devised their own training module.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Manual Handling is pretty much a pre-requisite for any job that may involve lifting or moving things. I would be very surprised if the ES did not do at least a basic manual handling course.

I'd say it would be safe to assume all of the voluntaries also have their own basic courses. The order of malta definitely has one, which is combined with patient handling. Certificates are awarded etc. What is different in the FETAC one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Red Cross have a full day manual handling course, which includes strether/chair/pt moving.

ASAIK it was adapted form the NATC course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Elessar wrote: »
    Manual Handling is pretty much a pre-requisite for any job that may involve lifting or moving things. I would be very surprised if the ES did not do at least a basic manual handling course.

I'd say it would be safe to assume all of the voluntaries also have their own basic courses. The order of malta definitely has one, which is combined with patient handling. Certificates are awarded etc. What is different in the FETAC one?

FETAC module is industry standard. It covers basics of kinetics, ergonomics, anatomy etc with some practical exercises lifting a small empty box. Useful but not entirely relevant, doesnt look at patient handling, lifts using multiple persons, large or heavy items, unstable ground etc.

It does just enough to cover most employers, but anything relevant to ES would be determined too heavy, requiring mechanical aids etc.

I've seen the old NATC course, didnt seem very industry specific, I presume that patient handling may have been a separate module or something at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Elessar wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if the ES did not do at least a basic manual handling course.
    Well....surprise.jpg...surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

wexfjord wrote: »
    I've seen the old NATC course, didnt seem very industry specific, I presume that patient handling may have been a separate module or something at the time.

NASC (Not NATC!!!) run Manual handling with patient lifting.

All PHECC practitioner courses include Manual handling/patient lifting.

@Elessar - As deadwood said.....suprise. AGS dont do any manual handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Back in the day NGA,

And why would AGS get the a manual handling course, sure they do no work, I'll get my coat.

Wex I might have a copy of the course handout if you want a sylibus

maglite wrote: »
    Back in the day NGA,

And why would AGS get the a manual handling course, sure they do no work, I'll get my coat.

Wex I might have a copy of the course handout if you want a sylibus

Much obliged.

NASC (Not NATC!!!) run Manual handling with patient lifting.

All PHECC practitioner courses include Manual handling/patient lifting.

@Elessar - As deadwood said.....suprise. AGS dont do any manual handling.

Right enough it wasnt NATC but NATS, its was a course from several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

We did a manual handling course in Phase 1

pvt.joker wrote: »

Are you serious???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

''Right lads, remember!.. if you can't lift her, don't shift her''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Are you serious???

yeah, this was last October/November though.

Pilot programme or standard now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Standard now; How to lift empty boxes etc;

Palmer grip iirc, bend knees and all that

gerire wrote: »
    Standard now; How to lift empty boxes etc;

Palmer grip iirc, bend knees and all that

Sounds like the one I did. Any job specific elements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Wow! As far back as that, eh?:D

deadwood wrote: »
    Wow! As far back as that, eh?:D

Didnt have it in my time dw......so since they didnt have cars in your time in Templemore.....I wouldnt have though you did it either!!:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Fire service manual handling course follows the same theory as most other manual handling courses - the spine is the spine, same principles of lifting etc. The practical exercises are done in fire kit with pieces of equipment such as portable pumps, suction hoses, cutting gear etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

civdef wrote: »
    The practical exercises are done in fire kit with pieces of equipment such as portable pumps, suction hoses, cutting gear etc.

Not in my brigade they aint. Bog standard lifting boxes along with theory. Found it to be a complete bullsh** course.
    A management cover the arse course done for the sake of saying its done

Paulzx wrote: »
    Not in my brigade they aint. Bog standard lifting boxes along with theory. Found it to be a complete bullsh** course.
    A management cover the arse course done for the sake of saying its done

Thats how it seems to be done in several counties. Basic course is for office and warehouse workers, it needs to be elaborated upon for ES. As per civdef's post, practical needs to be done in fire kit lifting relevant equipment including ladders, confined spaces, unstable ground.

I've seen many variations on fire service lifts that would not meet manual handling criteria but are still taught, and to be fair I'm sure a FF would use whatever means necessary to preserve human life regardless of manual handling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Paulzx, there's no reason I can think of that the Manual handling instructors couldn't incorporate job specific elements into the training. Are the instructors in house or external?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

The previous posters who bestow the use of fire gear and fire equipment are correct. As per the Health and Safety Authority

'Manual handling training needs to be specific to the
    tasks involved'

This document can be found at

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Retail/Gen_Apps_Manual_Handling.pdf

And we know how much the HSA love the Fire Service !!

I see there is to be national regulation of manual handling training/instructors by HSA/FETAC. Due to kick in by this autumn but its looking more like 2012.

I've looked a bit more into the current legislation and while it may be a requirent for an employee etc to have manual handling training, there is no national register of trainers, no national standard, no curriculum etc. This is due to change but is another indication as to the farcical way this country is run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RandyOrtan

Hi,
    There are wide variety of manual handling tasks. So, it is difficult to set down a specific training course. This training can reduce the risk of occupational injury while carrying out manual handling tasks in the workplace.

thanks,

<mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yeah manual handling is mandatory in Phase One. Think it is part of the first aid course. Ours was mainly focussed on how to lift a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

recent fire recruitment in wexford county for one station had 20 odd applicants and only 2 had people with a recent manual handling qualification. AFAIK, dated within the last 2 years. it has become a requirement on an application now along with mandatory full b-licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

wreckless wrote: »
    recent fire recruitment in wexford county for one station had 20 odd applicants and only 2 had people with a recent manual handling qualification. AFAIK, dated within the last 2 years. it has become a requirement on an application now along with mandatory full b-licence.
    better keep an eye on ebay for old fire engines and ambulances so, soon the requirements will involve do you have your own ES vehicle biggrin.gif

Advertisement