Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case & Gfx upgrade Opinions

Options
  • 03-11-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Hey all, looking to replace my current case and gpu with something a little newer.
    Looking to replace the 8800gt as playing stuff like f3 and borderlands etc at 1900x1200 it does struggle. From what I've read the 5850 seems to be the card to go for.

As for the case, my relationship with the antec 900 is at an end. :p
    Looking for something that has cable management,tooless if possible,room for 4+ hdds and some space to fiddle around in.
    Been adding and removing drives on a regular basis recently and its a right pain having to unscrew everything and the lack of space doesn't help either.
    I was considering getting a 1200 but it also seems to suffers from the same squashed design as the 900 :/

The coolermaster haf 922 seems to be quite popular around here (unlike the 900 ;)) was thinking about it or maybe this http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=33

My specs atm are:
    e6600 / tuniq tower
    p5n32e
    8800gt
    4gb corsair XMS2
    3 samsung f1's
    1 wd caviar
    corsair vx550w
    creative Xtrememusic
    Dvd drive
    antec 900.
    Dell e248wfp

Have around €300, can stretch it a bit if needed. Cheers all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

The HaF 922 is a very nice case to work with, lots of room inside and good cable management options. The 5850 is also a very nice card with an exception punch for its price. Ati/AMD have also done a press release stating new drivers will further improve the performance of the 5XXX cards later in the month too !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

The HaF 922 is a very nice case to work with, lots of room inside and good cable management options. The 5850 is also a very nice card with an exception punch for its price. Ati/AMD have also done a press release stating new drivers will further improve the performance of the 5XXX cards later in the month too !

+1 to those.the HAF is great,to give you an idea of how big it is,heres a pic of it making my IFX-14 and 4890 small (and the 4890 is a 10'' card IIRC)

4065938434_047671522b_b.jpg

That Fractal case looks clean as a whistle though,cant comment on it because I've never seen it before,how much is it ?

EDIT : Just read about that case,seems like an Antec P183,quite a bit smaller than the 922 though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Cheers for the replies guys, and the pic deano ;D
    Deano12345 wrote: »
    That Fractal case looks clean as a whistle though,cant comment on it becasue I've never seen it before,how much is it ?

cheapest i found so far was from overclockers for £85 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=7&subid=1556

Burgo wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys, and the pic deano ;D

cheapest i found so far was from overclockers for £85 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=7&subid=1556

Seems like a good case,although it would be smaller than the A900 your replacing :P

Seems like a good case,although it would be smaller than the A900 your replacing :P

antec 900 20.6(w) x 46.8(h) x 49.3(l)
    define r2 20.7(w) x 44(h) x 52.1(l)

in a way it is ;)

• Advertisement

antec 900 20.6(w) x 46.8(h) x 49.3(l)
    define r2 20.7(w) x 44(h) x 52.1(l)

in a way it is ;)

Hmm those Antec P183's aren't as small as I thought.If you need to know anything mor about eh 922,just let me know

Yeah i was wondering does the front 200mm fan come with a dust filter? some reviews say it does and others say that it doesnt, bit confusing.

Yeah i was wondering does the front 200mm fan come with a dust filter? some reviews say it does and others say that it doesnt, bit confusing.

No it doesn't.Maybe other countries got a different model

Heres a guide to make your own though,if you need a filter

http://www.overclock.net/6332377-post703.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cosmos 1000 or the 'type s' if you never ever ever plan on moving the pc.

ever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hmm those Antec P183's aren't as small as I thought.If you need to know anything mor about eh 922,just let me know

they have two layers of metal and some foam sandwiched between them, so they lose a bit of space to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

WOW

Never realised how mega the Haf 922 actually is inside...

nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Dust filters? Bah, waste of money. I use a Pair of tights streached over the fan :P

Effluo wrote: »
    WOW

Never realised how mega the Haf 922 actually is inside...

nice

It's huge alright (and thats what SHE said !) ( sorry,bad joke :o:p)

Yep its a monster of a mid tower for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Hey all, looking to replace my current case and gpu with something a little newer.
    Looking to replace the 8800gt as playing stuff like f3 and borderlands etc at 1900x1200 it does struggle. From what I've read the 5850 seems to be the card to go for.

As for the case, my relationship with the antec 900 is at an end. :p
    Looking for something that has cable management,tooless if possible,room for 4+ hdds and some space to fiddle around in.
    Been adding and removing drives on a regular basis recently and its a right pain having to unscrew everything and the lack of space doesn't help either.
    I was considering getting a 1200 but it also seems to suffers from the same squashed design as the 900 :/

Have around €300, can stretch it a bit if needed. Cheers all.

Ok I never thought id recommend a Thermaltake..........
    but the Thermaltake Element G. Its got 7 3.5" hdd bays and 2 SSD bays.

It has gotten very positive reviews, apparently excellent cooling, lots of room to work. Also it looks quite nice (subjective of course). You can turn the lights off, has an all black interior, good cable management, im tempted myself. :)

THERMALTAKE_ELEMENTG.jpgTHERMALTAKE_ELEMENTG3.jpg

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Ok I never thought id recommend a Thermaltake..........
    but the Thermaltake Element G. Its got 7 3.5" hdd bays and 2 SSD bays.

It has gotten very positive reviews, apparently excellent cooling, lots of room to work. Also it looks quite nice (subjective of course). You can turn the lights off, has an all black interior, good cable management, im tempted myself. :)

THERMALTAKE_ELEMENTG.jpgTHERMALTAKE_ELEMENTG3.jpg

Only thing I can knock on that case by checking out the specs of the fans,they aren't the best

Thermaltake quality is skill sketchy for me though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Only thing I can knock on that case by checking out the specs of the fans,they aren't the best

Lack of front drive bays suck as well :(

Im waiting on the next gen HAF which I hope will be black inside and out and have better dust filters and maybe USB 3.0 sockets :)

Venom wrote: »

Im waiting on the next gen HAF which I hope will be black inside and out and have better dust filters and maybe USB 3.0 sockets :)

Black interior would make the HAF's too close to the Storm Sniper (or the Scout.Not sure which one ),the 922 is indentical to it on the inside so I doubt they would improve the HAF without removing the Scout/Sniper from the line up

Black interior would make the HAF's too close to the Storm Sniper (or the Scout.Not sure which one ),the 922 is indentical to it on the inside so I doubt they would improve the HAF without removing the Scout/Sniper from the line up

Yeah but the HAF series is so far ahead in sales and reviews they would be mad not to.

The scout has an all black inside.

And it is the Smexy :D

It's the Storm Sniper the HAF922 is identical to. The only difference is the Sniper comes with a better front panel (fan controller + 2 extra USB ports) and some more dust filters I believe. I've seen it mentioned in some places the fans are better too, but looking at the pics to my eyes they are the same models.

Storm Scout is a different beast though, mainly in that it has much less room.
    Leman_Russ wrote: »
    The scout has an all black inside.

And it is the Smexy :D

Too each his own. To me the handles on the scout remind me of a hunchback.

• Advertisement

Yep i know the name is really off putting :D. Hehe. Personally i never take too much note of fan specs, id rather read a review, all the reviews i have seen have this have rated the airflow highly :D.
    Although ill probably never buy it, just so tempted by the design and the green fans, ahem.

Im not being snarky here but what in the name of god do people need a lot of front drive bays for, i never understand that. For me id use 2 max (fan controller and a dvd-rw) at a longshot 3 if i ever decided to get a bluray drive for instance. A curiosity for me.

Ach my english, im murdering the language!

Yep i know the name is really off putting :D. Hehe. Personally i never take too much note of fan specs, id rather read a review, all the reviews i have seen have this have rated the airflow highly :D.
    Although ill probably never buy it, just so tempted by the design and the green fans, ahem.

Im not being snarky here but what in the name of god do people need a lot of front drive bays for, i never understand that. For me id use 2 max (fan controller and a dvd-rw) at a longshot 3 if i ever decided to get a bluray drive for instance. A curiosity for me.

Ach my english, im murdering the language!

Fan controllers, DVD-RWs, Card reader, floppy drives, Blue Ray drive, sound card controls etc.

3 is just way to low imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Fan controllers, DVD-RWs, Card reader, floppy drives, Blue Ray drive, sound card controls etc.

3 is 2 too many for most people.

And that's a fact!

I'm with Effluo here, the most I'd ever use is 3 (optical drive, fan controller, sound card sh*te). At the moment I'm using 1 out of a total of 6 available of my HAF.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm with Effluo here, the most I'd ever use is 3 (optical drive, fan controller, sound card sh*te). At the moment I'm using 1 out of a total of 6 available of my HAF.
    At the moment I'm using 0. On the rare occasion I need a dvd drive I use the external one I bought for my netbook. All it uses is one usb port.

Floppy? Also thought sound cards kind of went the way of the casette in recent times for general users. I can see the lack of 3.5" being annoying all right if people want a card reader installed or for fan controllers, the larger ones can look a little messy.

Floppy? Also thought sound cards kind of went the way of the casette in recent times for general users. I can see the lack of 3.5" being annoying all right if people want a card reader installed or for fan controllers, the larger ones can look a little messy.

High end sound cards are very much still around

High end sound cards are very much still around

Yeah, but users of high end sound cards are becoming the rarity. I'd a sound card in me old PC, but I don't really need it in my current one because the integrated does pretty much everything I ask of it. The only reason I could justify getting one is if I started recording proper, but the current set up is grand for demos.

I had a sound card once, because the Onboard sound on my mobo assploded :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement