Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2, you listening?

• 03-11-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Just a quicky: 5 years ago I ported from you to Vodafone. At the time it was a work decision. I used to have a good o2 signal where I live. Now, I'm 'fighting' with Vodafone, and I was damn sure I'm porting back to o2 once my Voda credit is used up, but today I realise that in the last 5 years your signal here actually got worse! I'm in Mayo, so little surprises me, but you'd think as infrastructure improves you'd get some sort of improvement?!?!?!

As a matter of fact: it actually got noticeably worse even since last xmas. are you leaving mayo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tell them you'd like to offer your garden as a location for a new mast. Problem Solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Tell them you'd like to offer your garden as a location for a new mast. Problem Solved!

True! You caught me being a hypocrite/consumer!
    Query withdrawn!
    Health before 3g!

.... Actually...
    a P.S.: I'm OK with a poor signal...(wasn't kidding above), but how come the O2 signal seems to be getting worse? Or are phones getting worse in that regard? (I mentioned last xmas, cause I was using an iPhone that hardly got any signal at all, while my e71 with that O2 sim was doing 'okay'... Now, I'm getting between 1 bar and nothing...hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

I'm in Westport.

I'll never(in the next 2 years) go back to O2, they are the most expensive now. And the service is the same as the rest.

Meteor, well i've just never liked there service. But a Phone like the Hero could change that. Maybe I underestimate them. Its been a while since i've been with them.

Vodafone, well when i'm not with them they have the best signal. When i'm with them they don't?!

Currently with Three, the best I feel. But guess what i'm not sticking with them. 2 years and no improvements. My signal has degraded.

So overall, nobody must live in MAYO. Why? Because they all say 98% coverage for the population of Éire. But i'm usually stuck with all average, 1 great or no signal at all.

So when choosing i go:

1. Price

2. Phone

3. Package

4. Signal

Woops I left out Tesco, well I don't view them as an option.
    And Digiweb's service 088 never surfaced.

4 years with O2 (Inc Digiweb)
    3 years with Vodafone (Inc Eircell)
    2 years with Meteor
    2 years with Three

(Covering Galway and Mayo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mustn't forget, Mayo is the county of objectors and protesters at the slightest infrastructural change / improvement.

No wonder the networks have cut their losses and just not bothered to update their bases in the county, do people actually realise how little is emitted from a mobile phone base station in comparison to a mobile phone with a weak signal having to up the power output to connect to the "safe" (read not in my backyard) base station miles away.

/rant

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies,,,

@Calebmcd,
    You got a point; the 98% coverage sounds great, but the 2% seems strategically placed - pinpointing the exact locations I'm most frequently trying to use my phone in :lol: !

Still...
    As to the 'Mayo the protest county' - sure, phonemasts are unpopular; but Rossport aside: Really? The ESB is running amok here! No one seems to care much. They constantly 'upgrade', which mostly means daylong outages because they replace one blo*dy post somewhere in nowhereskinaffe... Or they do a job they actually announce to last 2 weeks which then lasts 4 months...

Anyhoo, back to my question.
    In the 4 1/2 years I've been with Vodafone their signal did improve - surely they deal with the same 'mayo mentality' of 'protesters and objectors'... Even 3, in my experience, did get a bit better.
    It's o2 and Meteor whose signal seems to get worse where I live.

But I guess it's a bit pointless to speculate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

3 are a virtual provider out that way, have no network of their own IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

3 are a virtual provider out that way, have no network of their own IIRC

3 do have their own 3g network. They use vodafone in areas where they dont have their own 3g coverage. In westport their coverage map shows 3g is available.

Advertisement