Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea - Match thread

• 03-11-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

Atletico_Madrid_logo.jpg V chelsea_crest.png
    TEAM NEWS

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is available again for their Champions League clash at Atletico Madrid.

The Ivory Coast star returns after his three-match European ban and is a likely starter with forward Salomon Kalou carrying a slight knock.

The Blues have some injury doubts as they aim to preserve their 100% record.

Ashley Cole (ankle), Yury Zhirkov (knee), John Mikel Obi (knee) and Jose Bosingwa (knee) are all facing late fitness tests before the Spanish trip.

3-1 to the blues :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

100% record will be preserved, no problem. Should be a decent game.

3-0 or 4-1 to Chelsea. Drogba will be on scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

all logic says a 2-goal victory for chelsea at least.

if atletico can click like they can though, and it hasn't happened too often this season, it will be both tough and very entertaining.

i'll go 3-1 chelsea. (drogba with 2 and ballack)

In fantasy football terms would it be better to have drogba or Lamps tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

think we should get a 2-0 result, would be a nice set up for the weekend game.anybody know what channel is showing tonights game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Atletico are without doubt the worst of the good teams in world football right now. Cake walk, you'll win at least 2-0, I'll go with 4-1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I reckon we will win 7-1. EZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any team news and possible formation ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Headshot wrote: »
    any team news and possible formation ?

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 4-3-2-1 formation:

1 Petr Cech
    35 Juliano Belletti
    33 Alex
    26 John Terry (c)
    3 Ashley Cole
    8 Frank Lampard
    5 Michael Essien
    15 Florent Malouda
    21 Salomon Kalou
    10 Joe Cole
    11 Didier Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

1-3 win for chelsea me thinks, hopefully a win should assure us going through to knockout stage, i think j.cole drogba and essien (he is due a goal) to score tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

1 - 1 draw my guess, hoping for a 2 or 3 nil win though. Why have Sky inflicted David Platt on us? Couldn't they have paid for someone good and/or with some even vague link to Chelsea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

any streams lads??

sorry have one!!

-> http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch5.html

0-0 at HT... Not playing too badly, but defo not playing well enough. Can still see Chelsea scoring one or two all the same. Drogba, Kalou and Lamps have been all close enough.

2-1 to CSKA against the Mancs as an aside!!!!!... I love it!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Need to get on the ball more and hold it up, pick out a few passes , one goal for us and I reckon its game over , the heads will drop and there will be nothing from the crowd, could end up another 4-0 (If we get the first within the 1st 10 mins of the second half)

that was coming we've not been good enough, i can't see us scoring either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stunning goal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Anelka and Deco on, Kalou and J. Cole off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Belleti needs to take himself off - he's a disgrace tonight and doesnt look bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Good return for Drogba to Champions League action.

whoop , we dont really deserve to be on level terms but i'll take it, blow it up now please ref, as it stands we qualify and we have no injuries i'd take that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Shocking passing display , I was just about to type then I think Ashley Cole puts through a stunning pass and Drogba with some beautiful feet takes it on to score.

2-2 brilliant free kick ,Augero

• Advertisement

jesus where'd this game come from, 2-2 not really deserved, A.Madrid defo didn't deserve to lose, 2 stunning goals! i can't understand why Drogba didnt just hit the freekick at the end it took 2 touchs first then he hit it, was never going to work!

on another note, UTD drew from 3-1 down, one was a deflected goal i think, i thought they were going to win it in the 6th min of injury time as usuall :rolleyes: but thankfuly they didn't, set up nicely for sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

We didnt play well at all but Drogba is on fire. He is going to run riot on Sunday. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Poor enough performance I thought myself. But we still didn't lose which is always good. Fair play to Drogba.

Poor performance from Chelsea. But as pure a case of cometh the hour, cometh the man as you'll ever see from both Drogba and Aguero.

Loved Drogba's second goal, stunning pass from Ashley, quite lucky to get the rebound, but a cracker all the same. Great return to Champions League action for our Ivorian hero!!!:D

2-2 and basically guaranteed qualification to knockout stages as group winners... Not bad.

Also, Sunday is set up lovely now as United drew 3-3 with CSKA.

i <3 aguero.

special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SlickRic wrote: »
    i <3 aguero.

special player.

He really is. I wonder where he will end up once he leaves Madrid. Have a feeling that he may be running out in a Barca shirt next season.

Enjoyed what I saw of the game though. Chelsea showing once again that even when they play below their normal standard that they are still hard to beat.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have a feeling that he may be running out in a Barca shirt next season.

can you imagine?

henry leaves, aguero goes in.

xavi and iniesta behind aguero, messi and ibra.

that just plain ridiculous.

can you imagine?

henry leaves, aguero goes in.

xavi and iniesta behind aguero, messi and ibra.

that just plain ridiculous.
    We'd beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

CHD wrote: »
    We'd beat them

press X to score, R1 for precision shot

• Advertisement

We'd beat them

awesome.

like last time. ;)

awesome.

like last time. ;)
    Don't get me started on that, who wouldn't win when they can foul in there own box and not giveaway penalties and have a ref support them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

CHD you make me lol,
    you might beat them if you played them and if they had Aguero,
    but most likely Chelsea and any other team would be played off the park, saying anything else with confidence is strange. you couldn't beat Aguero on his own tonight let alone, Messi, Ibra, Xavi and Iniesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

chelsea can beat anyone when there on form, there a big blue machine

nuxxx wrote: »
    chelsea can beat anyone when there on form, there a big blue machine

agreed.

but so can barca.

mayordenis wrote: »
    CHD you make me lol,
    you might beat them if you played them and if they had Aguero,
    but most likely Chelsea and any other team would be played off the park, saying anything else with confidence is strange. you couldn't beat Aguero on his own tonight let alone, Messi, Ibra, Xavi and Iniesta.
    Its always good to laugh. You make me laugh too. Its good we have this.

Chelsea could beat that team and saying they would be played off the park is ridiculous. I think you have forgotten what confidence is, as yours has been destroyed supporting Liverpool lately :), oh no i didn't. Yes i did. Anyway enough of that, Barca didn't play us off the park when playing at their best last year. We did our jobs and they got really lucky.

Anyway this isn't about that game. Keep laughing, tis good for ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Its always good to laugh. You make me laugh too. Its good we have this.

Chelsea could beat that team and saying they would be played off the park is ridiculous. I think you have forgotten what confidence is, as yours has been destroyed supporting Liverpool lately :), oh no i didn't. Yes i did. Anyway enough of that, Barca didn't play us off the park when playing at their best last year. We did our jobs and they got really lucky.

Anyway this isn't about that game. Keep laughing, tis good for ya ;)

Can't really argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I'm sure you realise Aguero was playing in the match we beat them 4-0. Different things can happen in every game

Advertisement