Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer keeps destroying RAM?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

I got my PC over 2 years ago. Got it from OCUK, overclocked cpu & RAM

After 1 month the RAM, went faulty (blue screens etc). I got it replaced after a week, but inside that week I didnt want to be without the computer so I bought some RAM local, it was the same timings, voltage etc, but i reduced the OC'd speed from 1000 to 800mhz (The natural speed of the RAM)
    This RAM resulted in immediate blue screens and memtest said it was fecked. I recieved my replaced RAM and it worked perfectly again.

Last week i decieded to upgrade the RAM and purchased some more, but it had different timings. I removed the old RAM, changed the settings in the BIOS and placed the new RAM inside. The computer resulted in a blue screen and again memtest confirmed the RAM was fecked.

So, is it common that a PC will just keep screwing up RAM?
    Where Could I have fecked up?

Id like to know because Ill have the replaced RAM by next week and Id kinda like it to work..

I should menton that i do take precautions when removing the RAM. I grab the radiator to earth myself and I repeat the step for each individual RAM I touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You have to touch an unpainted metal surface that is earthed BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

You have to touch an unpainted metal surface that is earthed BTW

Ah Bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH it is rare that a static discharge would occur and fry RAM and with the frequency this is happeneing I suspect you have an issue with the PSU or the case.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Sounds like its you that is frying the ram rather then the computer to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Unless the OP is touching the surface of the RAM, how could static fry it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I should mention that ive replaced RAM a number of times in different comps and never had issues, its just my own comp that im having these problems.

I dont touch the top of the ram thats inserted into the MB, the ram is encased in aluminium so I hold it by the case. Or if there is no case I hold it by each end and use by thumb on top to place pressure when inserting.

I have no problem with anyone saying that it must be me causing the fault, but please point out how I could be doing this. Though I was unaware that a painted radiator would make earthing impossible.
    I suspect you have an issue with the PSU or the case.

In short, If it was the case/PS, im guessing the only work around is a new PS/case

Advertisement