Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G.D.P. (Grade Point Average), question?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I'm in first year of a four year degree. I've heard somewhere that the marks you get in first year don't count towards your G.D.P. Is this true?

Also (G.D.P. is new to me), where would a first class honours degree lie in terms of G.D.P., is it a 4.0 or a 1.0?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    I'm in first year of a four year degree. I've heard somewhere that the marks you get in first year don't count towards your G.D.P. Is this true?

Also (G.D.P. is new to me), where would a first class honours degree lie in terms of G.D.P., is it a 4.0 or a 1.0?

Thanks! :D

Firstly its a G.P.A. ;)

A 1st is 3.68 and above
    A 2.1 is 3.08 - 3.67
    A 2.2 is 2.48 - 3.07
    A Pass is 2.00 0 2.47

Your first year results wont count towards your degree. It will most likely be 3rd and 4th year, but it depends on the degree. What are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Firstly its a G.P.A. ;)

A 1st is 3.68 and above
    A 2.1 is 3.08 - 3.67
    A 2.2 is 2.48 - 3.07
    A Pass is 2.00 0 2.47

Your first year results wont count towards your degree. It will most likely be 3rd and 4th year, but it depends on the degree. What are you doing?

Lol yeah, gpa, (got confused with gross domestic product)

I'm studying Physics with Astronomy and Space Science.

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Lol yeah, gpa, (got confused with gross domestic product)

I'm studying Physics with Astronomy and Space Science.

Gross Domestic Product, I like it :)

I presume that's part of science? It'll be your last two years that count towards your degree so. Not sure if it 50/50, 40/60 or 30/70... maybe someone else her will be able to tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Gross Domestic Product, I like it :)

I presume that's part of science? It'll be your last two years that count towards your degree so. Not sure if it 50/50, 40/60 or 30/70... maybe someone else her will be able to tell you that.

It's not the omibus science route, it's a denoiminated science route and I think it could be 70 physics and 30 astronomy and space science, many because over the four years there is a heck of a lot more physics modules then there are astronomy and space science modules.

Well your final grade will be spilt over 3rd and 4th year. Not sure what the weighting will be, your lecturers or programs office should be able to tell you if you want to know, but there's a long time to go before you have to start worrying about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

There is this amazing thing that UCD has which is called a website and on it there is all kinds of information for people to look at when they are unsure or confused..... strangely enough, it's a hell of a lot more accurate than advice from strangers in different degree programmes.

http://www.ucd.ie/science/current_students/downloads/2009-2010/UCD_Science_Student_Handbook_2009_2010.pdf

It appears that you're in luck and that your final degree is based on Stage 4 results only. See page 132.

Might be useful to download the file in case of other questions.

From a random stranger in a different degree programme :D

Well there ya go :)

Advertisement