Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Upgrade CPU or GPU first?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Alright, basically like lots of others, I've got a few less sheckels to spend so I wanted to get some advice on which part to upgrade.

Running a Core2 6600 2.4Ghz, 4 GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce 9500GT but for a lot of newish games (specifically E:TW and DoW2, so not brand spanking new) it's very sluggish and bitty.

I'd rather upgrade one of the CPU or GPU to the best I can afford rather than upgrade both of them incrementally.

I'd consider overclocking but tbh, with my luck I'd kill the lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I reckon GPU. The Q6600 isnt all that obsolete yet, also the money you might spend on say an intel Q9xxx processor could get you a i5-750 which would give a much better performance increase. I suppose though a socket change would also mean more money for a new board, ram etc. Basically the price to performance ratio would would definitely be with a new GPU considering your setup right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I was considering a major upgrade recently, cpu,mobo,ram etc but decided against it as, i dont really have the money and i dont really need to.
    Just a new gpu and case for me :D

In your case I would defo go for the gpu first as the 9500 gt is somewhat lacking.
    what resolution do you use btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Definitely a GPU upgrade would provide a big performance increase.

The 9500gt is quite a slow budget card. What PSU do you have? how many watts..

I would recommend an ATI 4770, can be got for about 90 euros.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4770_PCS/30.html

It will be at least twice as fast as your current card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

what kind of resolution is the monitor are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

agree with the GPU bit. 4770 will be grand if you're not gaming at HD resolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

21" monitor at 1680x1050

Thanks for the advice lads, looks like we have a consensus!

PSU, lemme see...

Right, Thermaltake Power Station 520w Purepower ATX 12v 2.0 ... Not sure which is the relevant bit... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CPU is grand. It's the card that's killing you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'd actually recommend a higher end card for your 1050 screen!

It's a very good card and at it's current price here http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206
    quite unbeaable for the value. The reason why i can recommend this is cause your psu looks to be pretty capable.

It should do you for a long time.

It would be nice if you could tell us what games you'd actually be playing on this too

Well, like I said in the OP, right now it's Empire Total War and Dawn of War 2. Tbh I don't buy brand-brand new games anymore, got stung too many times! (Spore, E:TW...) I always wait a bit to see if there as good as the hype. :)

I won't have any major problems switching from Nvidia to ATI will I, provided I strip all the drivers etc first?

Nevore wrote: »
    Well, like I said in the OP, right now it's Empire Total War and Dawn of War 2. Tbh I don't buy brand-brand new games anymore, got stung too many times! (Spore, E:TW...) I always wait a bit to see if there as good as the hype. :)

I won't have any major problems switching from Nvidia to ATI will I, provided I strip all the drivers etc first?

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ this is supposed to be good!
    You shouldn't have a problem

Well i'd still recommend the 4870 that i linked to earlier, it's just such good value at that price!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Wow, not a bad PSU..

You could get a 4870, perhaps even a 4890.. check pixmania.ie, they might have the vapor-x versions of either card for very cutdown prices.

And as always, when changing from Nvidia to ATI or vice versa, do it properly, even download a driver removing program if you have to.

The 4870 should run most new games very smooth on that res, there's actually plenty of life left in the PC considering you should be able to OC the cpu at some stage too

jonny72 wrote: »
    You could get a 4870, perhaps even a 4890.. check pixmania.ie, they might have the vapor-x versions of either card for very cutdown prices.

If i were the op i'd go with the 4870 IMO the 4890 is not worth the €40+ (including delivery)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206 €115 delivered

I think the PSU came with the case? I didn't build it myself so I'm not sure. The case is an Armour Jr and that's Thermaltake too...

Err, another maybe stupid question. I know the slots are standard, but I'm not seeing any dimensions of the cards themselves in the links. Is that something I need to worry about? I've a couple of the standard expansion slots used, sound card and a card of extra usbs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

CPU is fine If that's the Q6600 you have in there you're set for a good long while, just overclock it eventually once its starting to hold you back ;)

First, make sure the slot underneath the PCIex16 slot (which is usually the first slot) is free. Almost all modern gaming cards have a double-width cooler.

Second, check to see if the length of the cards is under 240mm. Longer cards can still be fitted in the Armor Jr. but you'd have to dump the HDD cage to fit them in. Even a card exactly that size could clash with something in the HDD cage because of the PCIe power cable sticking out the end :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Check this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175914

It's the same card as Effluo suggested, but it's the 1GB sister. She's a more experienced ride than her younger sister, and she costs only 20 bucks or so extra to take her home. It's worth the extra bucks, especially since the likes of GTA IV prefer 1GB cards, and will lock you into running medium texture detail at 512MB. Even with other games coming out in the future, the 1GB card will last you longer in respect to being able to handle them with a higher FPS, so you'll see the extra 20 bucks pay you back with interest in the next few years.

You're running a Quad Core, and pretty soon most games will utilize more cores (GTA IV makes use of four cores, if available), and the Q6600 might not be brand new, but it's still a ball breaker! Your 9500GT was never a high end card, but the 4870 was ATI's flagship card until the 4890 came out a little while ago, and until the 5xxx series spawned. This time last year, the 4870 was a gamer's delight, and not much has changed since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

GPU

I've upgraded CPU from Q6600 to E8600 to Q9650 and tbh there hasn't been massive differences except in benchmarks and a few FPS here and there in some games.

I would basically buy the best gpu you can afford.

Solitaire wrote: »
    CPU is fine If that's the Q6600 you have in there you're set for a good long while, just overclock it eventually once its starting to hold you back ;)
    Q6600... I'm trying to figure that out.

Right, eh, no. According to http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php when I ran it, the processor is a E6600.

Is this really important, tbh before I was just reading off the Control Panel -> System -> General tab entry.

Is all the above invalidated, as in, should I be upgrading the CPU now? *confused*

Thanks for the patience guys...

Q6600... I'm trying to figure that out.

Right, eh, no. According to http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php when I ran it, the processor is a E6600.

Is this really important, tbh before I was just reading off the Control Panel -> System -> General tab entry.

Is all the above invalidated, as in, should I be upgrading the CPU now? *confused*

Thanks for the patience guys...
    Ah, the E6600 is only a Core 2 Duo, whereas the Q6600 is a Core 2 Quad. Still, it changes nothing. A GPU upgrade would still benefit you more right now.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Ah, the E6600 is only a Core 2 Duo, whereas the Q6600 is a Core 2 Quad. Still, it changes nothing. A GPU upgrade would still benefit you more right now.
    If there's that much of a difference from one letter, you'd think they'd mention it in System!

Oh, and +1 for the "this is the card you want to take to bed" analogy! ;)

If there's that much of a difference from one letter, you'd think they'd mention it in System!
    Strange. Mine does, using Windows 7. Pretty sure it did when using XP. It certainly did with Vista, too.

Exxxx are desktop Core 2 Duos.
    Qxxxx are desktop Core 2 Quads.

• Advertisement

Nope, definitely not. Verbatim: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @2.40Ghz then the RAM. I went looking in Hardware to see and that's what made me think it wasn't quad, because only two processors were listed in the Device Manager. Oh, that and my G15 says it is aswell!

Nope, definitely not. Verbatim: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @2.40Ghz then the RAM. I went looking in Hardware to see and that's what made me think it wasn't quad, because only two processors were listed in the Device Manager. Oh, that and my G15 says it is aswell!
    It's not exactly a new CPU, but it'll still pack a punch. I have an E8400 3.0GHz. I'd say stick with getting a new GPU, the best you can afford. You can always upgrade the CPU later. The games you mentioned should be fine once you get a better graphics card.

Right-o.

Thanks again all, much appreciated. Ye have the patience of Saints!

Right-o.

Thanks again all, much appreciated. Ye have the patience of Saints!
    Let us know how you got on. :)

I'd say stick with getting a new GPU, the best you can afford.

Don't buy the best gpu you can afford plz! Because it prob won't be the best one for you!

So many people make that mistake and waste all their loo laa

At your res get the 4870 512mb that i linked to earlier, it's great value.

Also don't worry about you cpu, there are so few games out there that make any use of a cpu that's over 2.4ghz and never mind games that need a quad!
    You can literally count them on one hand!

Effluo wrote: »
    Don't buy the best gpu you can afford plz! Because it prob won't be the best one for you!

So many people make that mistake and waste all their loo laa

At your res get the 4870 512mb that i linked to earlier, it's great value.

Also don't worry about you cpu, there are so few games out there that make any use of a cpu that's over 2.4ghz and never mind games that need a quad!
    You can literally count them on one hand!
    I assumed he wouldn't have been able to afford something ridiculously high-end. I think the card you linked was fine, but the 1GB version I linked to is a worthwhile step up for only 20 bucks. As I said, it will pay itself back in a few years.

As I said, it will pay itself back in a few years.

meh
    I would have to disagree

On the tougher to play games at the ops res the difference between the 512mb version and the 1gb is a matter of 1-2 frames. Granted the 1gb does seem to give a bigger(relative) boost at 1080 and above but the op doesn't need that.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_4870_1gb_review/page10.asp

linkage

meh
    I would have to disagree

On the tougher to play games at the ops res the difference between the 512mb version and the 1gb is a matter of 1-2 frames. Granted the 1gb does seem to give a bigger(relative) boost at 1080 and above but the op doesn't need that.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_4870_1gb_review/page10.asp

linkage
    Which is why I said in a few years. For the extra 20 bucks, instead of buying a new card then, as the OP's other hardware increases, and the demand comes for more power and higher resolutions, the 1GB card is a longer lasting solution.

The one mistake I've made, and several other people I know have made, is buying something that seems OK today, but needs to be replaced a year down the line to meet with newer demands. Such as, you buy a 300 euro PC from Dell so you can type a few essays for college and use Skype, etc. Around 6 months later you start to think about gaming, and buying a graphics card. You open up the case only to find that there's no PCI-E slot. Dell would have skimmed down on their low-end PC's and that's why they can be purchased quite cheaply. So, what to do? Looks like a new PC is in order, and a lot more money is spent in getting that new PC, instead of buying a €600 machine that has expansion slots at the beginning.

Now, I know it's not the same thing. And if I was suggesting that the OP go off and buy a 5870 or wait for the 300 series GPU's from Nvidia to come out, costing maybe €400-€500, that would be bad advice to give to a light PC gamer. But €20-€25 is nothing, and the 1GB card would be worth it down the line, in my opinion.

However, I think it's now time for Nevore to read our two arguments and make his own decision. :)

That's pretty silly.

Crysis is a good example of what we can expect from games to come.
    The 4870 512mb does just as well in that game as the 1gb card.

Anyone who thinks that if they buy a gpu today for €130 that it'll play games for "years" needs to get their history book out.

The 5870 will prob just about be ok in a couple of years time! The 4870 will be balls...

The 4870 is now a budget card, but still a good option

The 1gb is not a longer lasting solution, they are the same card at lower resolutions.

Look again at the results for Cyrsis plz

***This is a response to your unedited post, which was just the first line

• Advertisement

That's pretty silly.

Crysis is a good example of what we can expect from games to come.
    The 4870 512mb does just as well in that game as the 1gb card.

Anyone who thinks that if they buy a gpu today for €130 that it'll play games for "years" needs to get their history book out.

The 5870 will prob just about be ok in a couple of years time! The 4870 will be balls...

The 4870 is now a budget card, but still a good option

The 1gb is not a longer lasting solution, they are the same card at lower resolutions.

Look again at the results for Cyrsis plz

***This is a response to your unedited post, which was just the first line
    I disagree, but I'm not going to argue with you. I don't take benchmarks from of online reviews too literally.

Let's leave it with Nevore.

Advertisement