Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Upgrade CPU or GPU first?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

DECEiFER wrote: »
    The one mistake I've made, and several other people I know have made, is buying something that seems OK today, but needs to be replaced a year down the line to meet with newer demands. Such as, you buy a 300 euro PC from Dell so you can type a few essays for college and use Skype, etc. Around 6 months later you start to think about gaming, and buying a graphics card. You open up the case only to find that there's no PCI-E slot. Dell would have skimmed down on their low-end PC's and that's why they can be purchased quite cheaply. So, what to do? Looks like a new PC is in order, and a lot more money is spent in getting that new PC, instead of buying a €600 machine that has expansion slots at the beginning.

That's a terrible example, I can see where you're coming from, but you got it wrong. You bought a bottom of the range Dell and skype and other such was all it was ever meant to do. The reason that you had to buy a second pc was the fact that you did not anticipate the need for you to play games.

This is of no relevence to the op and is certainly nothing to do with what kind of components to put in his build.

The main thing is when buying a gpu and you don't have a stupid amount of money and nothing else to do with that money, then you buy what will serve you now.

the golden rule which we must all follow
    THERE IS NO FUTUREPROOFING WHEN IT COMES TO GPU'S (unless you wanna buy two 5870's) ;)

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I don't take benchmarks from of online reviews too literally.

omg
    :confused:

"I am a free spirit", "Facts mean nothing to me"

lol

Seriously though... Where do you get your info from then?

lols

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Effluo wrote: »
    That's a terrible example, I can see where you're coming from, but you got it wrong. You bought a bottom of the range Dell and skype and other such was all it was ever meant to do. The reason that you had to buy a second pc was the fact that you did not anticipate the need for you to play games.

This is of no relevence to the op and is certainly nothing to do with what kind of components to put in his build.

The main thing is when buying a gpu and you don't have a stupid amount of money and nothing else to do with that money, then you buy what will serve you now.

the golden rule which we must all follow
    THERE IS NO FUTUREPROOFING WHEN IT COMES TO GPU'S (unless you wanna buy two 5870's)
    I said it was an example of principle only (in so many words). Also, I would never own a Dell. Well, I owned one once, back in 1992. :P

As I said, it's down to Nevore now. He'll read both of our pitches and decide for himself. :)

omg
    :confused:

"I am a free spirit", "Facts mean nothing to me"

lol

Seriously though... Where do you get your info from then?

lols
    What I mean is that benchmarks are taken in certain conditions, in a certain test machine. Real-life and user-to-user experiences will differ, as will the machine each user will use the card in. Use them as a guideline, just don't take them TOO literally. Jesus, man, you're really looking for an argument, aren't you? :)

I'm not looking for an argument.

But if we don't use benchmarks for our reasoning then it's all gonna be guess work then.
    I do understand where you're coming from on it and you're right user to user will be different!

But i'd take a benchmark over a "hunch". No offence, but Benchmarks are all we have and if you don't feel like considering them then you won't get much patience on this forum.

It's evidence to our argument, We could go on forever but it's the benchmarks that count. It's proof

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for an argument.

But if we don't use benchmarks for our reasoning then it's all gonna be guess work then.
    I do understand where you're coming from on it and you're right user to user will be different!

But i'd take a benchmark over a "hunch". No offence, but Benchmarks are all we have and if you don't feel like considering them then you won't get much patience on this forum.

It's evidence to our argument, We could go on forever but it's the benchmarks that count. It's proof
    I use them all the time. Whenever I'm looking for a new piece of hardware or a new PC, I scour the new looking for as many reviews and benches as possible. I do use them as guidelines, and it is the best we have to go on outside of experiencing the performance for yourself, but that's not ideal and you'd have to buy before you try.

Don't worry, I think it's crossed wires, and you took what I said the wrong way. I should have explained myself better.

Advertisement