Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options
  • 03-11-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Ok, well I've been posting on here for a few months and found it a great support for my training for DCM (first marathon) and it's really encouraging to read how everyone else is getting on. So now that I've a few new goals I figure a log might be a good idea.

I've always run a little bit, off and on, but never more than 5 miles and decided to train properly in January of this year in preparation for the Berlin half in April. My sister's suggestion. She never wanted to run again after it whereas I was totally hooked! I'm pretty slow but I'm improving all the time and I am totally mad about running. What I have learned this year is humility and that you can only compete against yourself, I like that.
    This year I've run:
    Ballycotton 10 mile: 96.30
    Berlin Half Marathon: 2.16.22
    Burren Half Marathon: 2.30 (ish) difficult one to run but such a laugh!
    Cappamore 10km: 56.39
    Adidas Dublin Half Marathon: 2.04
    Claregalway 10km: 55.59
    Dublin Marathon: 5.06.55 - this was a total disaster for me. I had planned to do 4.30 or 4.40 and followed Hal Higdon Intermediate 1. Training went pretty well, I had a few problems with glutes and got some physio which sorted it out. But my long runs were mostly great. Unfortunately things went horribly wrong on the day, I got some serious tummy problems from mile 3, then really bad nausea, became almost delirious, had to walk a lot and well, let's just say, it was awful. I almost quit at mile 15 because I felt so bad but I managed to reach the finish line. I think it was down to the gels I used early on, I had used them several times in training with no problems but they didn't seem to agree with me on the day and made me feel really ill. Plus there were a few other issues but lots of lessons learned.

So, I've signed up for the Connemara full and Edinburgh. I'm also thinking of doing the Puck Warriors 10k on the 28th in Kerry. I'm taking it easy at the moment, running and cross-training. In a couple of weeks I'll pick it up. I want to do more speedwork this time around, will be focusing on hill training also, as well as strength training and I wouldn't mind getting some swimming in, as I'm not a great swimmer and would like to improve. So, lots of lovely goals.

Today:
    5M run in the wind and rain. The temperature is really getting cooler. Furthest distance since the marathon. Lovely run, felt strong.
    9.35/mi
    Upper body strength training plus core work

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck with the log. I'll be in Connemara and Edinburgh too, post race alcohol for all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with the training bluesky. Im still not back running after DCM, it took a lot more out of me than I expected. I need to plan another race like you have, I bet it make you much more focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Thanks RQ and Bally8.

Post race alcohol sounds great RacoonQueen:D

Bally8, yes, I think it's nice to have a goal rather than just training, helps to get me out there. But, there's no rush getting going again, if you don't feel fully recovered, take the time. There's no rush ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Blueskye wrote: »
    Thanks RQ and Bally8.

Post race alcohol sounds great RacoonQueen:D

Bally8, yes, I think it's nice to have a goal rather than just training, helps to get me out there. But, there's no rush getting going again, if you don't feel fully recovered, take the time. There's no rush ;)

I'll see you in peacockes hotel post race then, first one there buys the beers. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

I've signed up for Connemara as well. Drinks all round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Think I'll sign up for Connemara too. Should be fun :)

Cool, we can all meet up after so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Girls boards night out ... beware :D:D

Best of luck in 2010 Blueskye and best of luck with your goals

Had planned to get out yesterday but ran out of time and just felt jaded by the end of the day so unplanned rest. No harm at the moment.

Today:
    5.53M
    run in the rain (again)although there were a few bursts of sunshine which was nice. Running tights were dug out of the cupboard for the first time in many months. Feels great to be out on the roads again. Loving it.
    9.51/mi
    Upper body strength work and abs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good luck with the log Bluesky - see you in connemara
    Would be interested to see what plan you intend to follow (if any) after the Puck Warriors race?
    I'm doing the Waterford Half on 12th Dec, and need to find something to follow after that for Connemara, will let you know what I dig up if you want? Waiting for Advanced Marathoning to wing it's way to me so may find some bolt of inspiration there
    Connemara will be my first marathon

(sorry for crashing the girly party btw :))

• Advertisement

Thanks Dusty. Looking forward to meeting lots of faces at connemara (boys also welcome :D).

I'm considering using P&D's up to 55mpw programme from Advanced Marathoning. I started off with it for my first marathon but it was too much too soon so I changed down to HH. But definitely considering giving it another go. It's a great read, really useful stuff in there. But I'm reading around at the moment and haven't completely decided yet. Will keep you posted. Thanks would be great to hear what you decide to use also.

3.96M tempo run (sort of): 36.28 mins
    10 min warm up: 9.33/mi, 142 bpm
    10 mins faster pace (mainly uphill): 8.47/mi, 164 bpm
    20 mins cool down: 9.13/mi, 163 bpm (obviously didn't really cool down then!)
    9.18/mi: 161 bpm

A mixture of sunshine, rain, and seriously blustery wind.

07/11/09
    7.22 miles: 1.10.38
    9.47/mi
    160 bpm

08/11/09
    nada

09/11/09
    planned a swim but didn't get there

10/110/09
    ok feeling guilty after yesterday's laziness.
    4M
    9.19/mi
    161bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Good luck with the training and the log Blueskye.

I'm also on the Connemarathon bandwagon after a disappointing DCM. Have you a target time yet or will you see how it goes with the training first?

Thanks RedB.
    I've no idea how I'll get on in connemara, too soon to tell, as long as it's better than DCM it'll be an improvement!! Which wouldn't be hard. Looking forward to getting into some proper training again though.

What plan are you following?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I'm planning on following a 15 wk plan from Run Republic that I got here http://www.runrepublic.ie/training/marathon.htm. I don't have any strong reason for chosing it rather than others apart from the 15 weeks allows me to start straight after Xmas (w/c 28/12) and hits Connemara spot on plus its got a 22miler in it which I think I'd need to do. I struggled to get a 20miler done for Dublin due to undertraining. I got round Dublin in 4:50 and am hoping to do Connemara under 4:15 :D. God loves an optimist! I hope he/she also likes a crazy optimist as I plan on following the sub 4 plan rather than the sub 4:30 one :rolleyes:.

Following the bones of a 10k plan until Xmas so hopefully down to the track this evening for a speed session.

Best of luck with it.

Ok, well Wednesday and Thursday were a write-off. Sore throat, tired, and just not in the humour to run AT ALL. Which isn't really like me but I'm still on a go slow since the marathon so I won't get too upset about it. But come next month I need to be a bit more disciplined.

13th November
    4.06miles - 37.11
    9.10/mi
    167 bpm
    Supposed to be an easy run but felt like I was going too fast up hills, getting out of breath and then walking for 30-40 seconds. Anyway, at least I got out there. Tomorrow will be better hopefully.

Tempo run
    4.62 miles - 45.49
    10 min easy
    12 mins tempo (should have been 15)
    23 mins easy

9.36miles
    9.56/mi

Lovely long easy run, longest since DCM. Started off in daylight, then got dark. Nice few hills towards the end. I'd been avoiding hills for about 3 months before DCM so time to start loving them again. Christmas lights up in town. Lovely lovely run.

• Advertisement

Should have done 5miles yesterday but am in the process of moving and spent most of the day lugging belongings up and down stairs and in and out of cars. Will make it up on Friday hopefully.

5M run today. Talk about blustery. Wasn't in the humour at all, sinuses acting up majorly, probably due to unearthing lots of dust yesterday. Garmin not charged so just ran a regular route without watch. Felt sluggish but got it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Well done on the 1000 miles!!

19th Nov
    I'm following HH's post marathon training guide and today he recommended 1 mile warm up followed by 3 miles at 5k pace, with 3-5 mins walking inbetween each mile, followed by 1 mile warm down. Weather lovely and dry despite flooding around the country. Now, I don't really know what my 5k time is, my last 10k was 56.30 on a hilly route so I just decided to go hell for leather for the faster miles. Of course, I went off too fast on the first mile (8.18/mi) and nearly died. My legs were like jelly for the second fast mile, only did 0.8mile and the third mile I did about 0.92mile I think. Both of those were closer to 9.10/mi pace.
    5.35miles
    154 bpm which is misleading really but I couldn't work out my hrm for each mile as I had it set to mile autolap as was walking for part of each mile. But it was a tough session for me and gave me a real wake up to just how unfit I am.

20th Nov
    5M easy. I could feel yesterday in my legs alright but it was a lovely lunchtime run in the sun!!! Sinuses still acting up, felt wheezy for the first 3 miles but still enjoyable.
    5.07miles
    09.57/mi
    154 bpm

21st Nov
    10.25 miles
    154 bpm
    10.04/mi
    Felt like I was running backwards for the last 3 miles, the wind was so strong!!! But felt great to be out in the elements. Longest run post DCM.

40 min tempo run scheduled. Despite little sleep and a slight hangover when I got up, I did plan to get out and run this afternoon, but fell asleep on the sofa and lost all desire to get out in that weather when I woke up. Ugh, not good.

I bet we are paying form the nice weather we had in sept and half of oct now.

It's friggin hard to get out in this weather.

In other news lazyness related i got a slanket.

It's a wolly blanket ... with ... wait for it ... SLEEVES. It rocks.:D

ULstudent wrote: »
    In other news lazyness related i got a slanket.

It's a wolly blanket ... with ... wait for it ... SLEEVES. It rocks.:D
    I want one of those!!!

I want one of those!!!

It can be yours for 4 million dollars ... or a hot chocolate

ULstudent wrote: »
    or a hot chocolate

hot_chocolate.jpg

There?

*apologises to Blueskye for messing up this log*

• Advertisement