Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Well, an absolutely ****ty week, I've been in a really bad mood, tired, sinuses at me badly, coming home after work and straight into bed. No motivation to get out and run at all. Crappy crappy.
    15miles scheduled today. Drove out to carrigaline and ran to crosshaven and then on to myrtleville beach. Stunning out there. Hill from crosshaven up was a bitch but well needed. But called it a day at 10.25miles, just had enough. Zero motivation to keep going.
    10.25 miles
    160bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sorry to hear your going through a motivationless path. It seems like every year between winter and spring that this occurs for most people.

WHat it sounds like you need is to wrap up in your duvet with something nice and slap on a dvd and relax. Well, that's what im doing because i feel all icky.

Mind yourself. You will be back in form before you know it.

7miles. Beautiful sunny morning but windy!!! Felt tough, slight twinge in the left knee probably from hopping on and off the pavements. Not an ideal route.

Jan 2010: 116.23miles
    Feb 2010: 79.6 miles
    YTD: 195.83 miles
    Let's hope March fares better than February in terms of getting runs in.

Feeling much better today. I've reduced the weekly mileage I was aiming for, far too ambitious for where I am at so that's reduced the psychological pressure. Plus feeling better physically today, no breathlessness and legs feeling strong. Plus heart rate looking a bit more normal.

Plus it's lovely to see the long evenings starting, makes a nice change to run in the daylight on a weekday.
    5 enjoyable miles: 44.01. Yay!

8.11miles
    151 bpm
    Nice easy pace. Loving the stretch in the evenings. Thank crunchie tomorrow is Friday :)

• Advertisement

Saturday 6th March
    Nice easy 8miler. New trainers with more support which were a bit strange to run in so took it easy. Fairly flat route.

Sunday 7th March
    Planned to do 18miles today. Took a similar route to last Sunday but decided just to take my time and not worry about pace at all. I felt like a different person, loads of energy, felt strong, no breathlessness on the hills unlike last Sunday. I really enjoyed the run but...there's always a bloody but! My left knee started to twinge around 3 miles, stretching seemed to sort it but it came back every few miles. At about 13 miles it just wouldn't go away so I stopped although I really wanted to keep going. Stunning day, out by the sea, surfers the lot. Sports massage booked for Tues so if that doesn't sort it I'll head to the physio.
    13.27miles

34.38 miles this week

Monday 8th March
    Knee felt ok during the day so decided to head out and try an easy 5miles. Knee seized up at 1.86miles to had to walk back. Wow it's cold out there when you're not running. Sports massage tomorrow evening.
    1.86miles

Wednesday 10th March
    8miles.
    Knee much better with the day's rest yesterday and the sports massage. Started to niggle at 6miles, coincidentally when I started running downhill. The guy who did my sports massage yesterday said the running downhill can have that effect. Would make sense seeing as I'm doing a lot more hill running since the new year with the move to Cork. New runners more comfortable tonight.

Thursday 11th March
    5 easy miles planned. Only managed 4. Knee giving me problems again. It's definitely the new runners, ok they're giving me more support but my legs are seriously tight. I can really feel it up from my arch on my right leg to my knee is tight and I'm landing funny on my left foot hence the knee pain. Flippin flat feet.
    4miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey people , Any tips for me for running?

Ive started training last month in attempt to be able to run the pre dublin marathon races . ( and if i do live through them ill think about the full marathon in Oct.) But without even thinking about that yet i wanna get some things sorted first to help my training go well.

At the moment im followin the 21 week training programme from the Dublin Marathon website. Was wonderin if u guys think thats a good one to follow .

Also im lookin to get a PROPER pair of running shoes , anyone know any shops.
    Any other tips or guidelines much appreciated people.
    :)

You might want to post that in the main forum? Or else no-one will see it!!

Saturday 13th March
    8 miles planned. Decided to try on some grass to see if that helped. Nope, didn't manage 2 miles before my knee started to make itself known. Going to have to bite the bullet and see a physio next week. Not a happy bunny.
    1.77miles

Sunday 14th March
    Decided to head out and just test out the knee. Felt absolutely fine for the first 2 miles and then the niggles started in the knee. I ran another mile and could do no more.
    3miles

Tuesday 16th March
    4 miles (knee ok but started to act up around the 4th mile.

Wednesday 17th March
    4 miles, similar to yesterday.

Thursday 18th March
    At physio this morning - I have patella tendonitis and ITB problems so lots of stretches, foam roller, strengthening exercises and need to do a bit of swimming or cycling/rowing to keep up the fitness. Not a member of a gym but will probably join one tomorrow. Going to give Connemara a miss I think and just concentrate on getting this sorted properly and hopefully Edinburgh will still be a goer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sorry to hear that Blueskye. But best to get the knee sorted before attempting a big race again.
    What is it with all the injuries at the minute?!

Saturday 20th March
    4 mile run, as recommended by physio. Knee ok til about 3.5miles
    Strength work
    Core work
    Physio stretches

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Not you too! Is ANYONE going to make it to the start line in Connemara??

:rolleyes: I know. To be honest I'm ok about it. Apart from the injury, moving house, trying to settle into a new job, trying to find decent running routes etc. has meant I haven't been doing as much training as I'd like to the past few months. There'll be more races and it's a chance for me to sort out a decent stretching habit, get some strength training in (which I haven't done for months) and maybe even some cross training. All of which I should have been doing the past few months.

Ok, so maybe not as chipper about the whole situation today. Tried to run 4 miles and barely made it to 2 without my knee screaming out in agony. Then had to walk back, managed to run a little bit but mainly walked.
    Lots of ITB work with the rolling pin. Ouch!
    Core work and stretching.
    2.49miles.

Paid a visit to two gyms in the area to get a sense. Undecided as yet. In past experience, when I join gyms I rarely go. But if this knee/ITB business keeps up I guess I'll need to try to stay fit with other means. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ITB problems are a right bitch, anytime I stop going to the gym for a while and get into running well again my knee plays up again because I've stopped doing my strengthening work.

Sorry to hear you're out of Connemara, hopefully I'll still see you in Edinburgh. We'd best both make it there at least. :)

I don't feel very positive about Edinburgh at the moment but fingers crossed. I'm heading over there either way but it'll be crap if I can't run.

I'm not postitive about Edinburgh either. Sure we can suffer together if we're both fecked for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Blueskye, between my achilles, your knee and RQs toe - we should all set up a club or something!!

I find heavy squats and lunges great for ITB probs also.

We're all crocks:D!
    I did some squats and lunges yesterday alright but the lunges were way too painful on my knee. I'll ask the physio about them on Thurs when I see him next.

Exhausted this week, had a virus of some description so rescheduled the physio for next week.
    3.2miles this morning. Knee started hurting so didn't want to do anymore as worried it'll effect my stride as I'm probably compensating by running differently.
    Foam roller (ouch ouch ouch, bloody hurts!)
    Physio exercises.
    Defo can't see Edinburgh happening. Considering taking the next few months off running altogether, just focusing on fitness and strength training and getting this knee sorted and maybe come back for DCM. Jesus Edinburgh will be depressing if I'm not running. There'll definitely be tears :(.

Had a better physio session this week. He thinks it's not too serious and should start to improve in the next few weeks. He did say that Edinburgh is out though, I couldn't see it myself given all the training I've missed and how I can only run short distances at the moment. But at least I'm on the mend.

4miles today and no pain during or afterwards. Major progress!! Speed was horrendous but that wasn't the point. Flat grassy surface.
    Strength training
    Stretching
    Physio exercises plus foam roller

I was in the same situation last year only I got injured much, much closer to the race, given the three marathons I've just had, trust me, I feel your pain. Are you still going to Edinburgh? Hope you're making a holiday out of it anyways.

Yep still heading over, may as well as I've the days booked off work and the flights paid for.

• Advertisement

Good woman. It is a great city really. Go to the Edinburgh Dungeon, just off Princes Street, it's a good laugh. I expect you to be at the finish line with a nice bottle of coors in your hand waiting for me now. :pac:

I really need to book a hotel actually. :rolleyes:

Advertisement