Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear about Edinburgh, it must be so frustrating. Great idea to head over anyway. Enjoy the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Was planning a few more runs after Monday's success then got a stomach bug on Tuesday which was not pleasant and knocked me out for a few days. The joy of working with the public, I seem to pick up all manner of bugs going around. Anyway, got back on the horse today:
    5.21 miles (supposed to stick to 4 but was enjoying myself)
    strength training
    physio exercises
    stretching plus foam roller.
    Have had 3 physio sessions now and my knee is much much better but my fitness has taken a bashing. Still it feels great to be back out there. And hoping to get a bit of consistency back now. Would love to be doing Connemara tomorrow as planned but I'm nowhere near ready for it. Best of luck to all, I'll be thinking of ye. Lots of sunscreen!!!

An ambitious 6miles planned for today. Well the knee had other ideas. Managed 3.5miles then had to walk most of the way back with a few spurts of running inbetween.
    3.96 miles
    core work
    physio exercises and lots of foam rolling (ouch!)
    stretching++

Monday 12th April
    Joined the gym (finally!!) did some cardio (I hate those bloody crosstrainers), weights and physio exercises.

Tuesday 13th April
    Fitness test in the gym and program design. Jaysus I have zero upper body strength :eek: But I guess you have to start somewhere. Focusing on strength training, upper and lower body while I keep up the running. Long overdue.

Wednesday 14th April
    Really busy, should be preparing for a presentation at work but dying to get out for a run. 5 fantastic fabulous miles, felt great, no pain at all. Nothing beats the buzz of running outside.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller
    Physio session in the morning

Physio was really happy with my knee on Thursday, he thought it had improved a lot which is great. Recommended increasing distance but not running two days in a row for now so happy with that. No running Thursday evening due to serious sinus issues and sleeping from 6pm to 6am!!!! :eek: And Friday was a washout too.

I've cancelled Edinburgh trip altogether, saving the funds for a much bigger trip I'm taking in June - Mexico, Guatemala and Belize :D. Soo excited. I'd prefer to head over to Edinburgh when I'm actually running the flippin race, it'll be too depressing otherwise.

Saturday 17th April
    6 flat miles. Fantastic, and zero pain. Last two were 8.40/min miles so very happy with that given I've lost a lot of fitness. I've 9 weeks to get the fitness back, then I'm off backpacking for a month and I'll bring the runners but not sure how much I'll get done, then I'll return mid July to focus on training for DCM, plus a few of the Adidas series and maybe Cork to Cobh. Cannot wait to get back to full fitness. Have a strength program for the gym too so going to give that a go too as it's well needed. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Sunday 18th April
    Not really supposed to run two consecutive days in a row at the moment but I couldn't help myself, just had to try and see what would happen. Managed 3.5miles but the knee started to act up a bit so I called it a day. Nice to get out even if for a brief run.
    Physio exercises and foam roller. IT bands much better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you back in action Blueskye:)

Planned a run yesterday but was asleep before 9pm, felt like a zombie all day with sinus pain. Love this sunshine but my sinuses definitely don't.

Wednesday 21st
    5 miles no pain. Just ran, not thinking about pace/speed at all at the moment.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

Not a good week for running. I've been like a zombie after work and sleeping way too much. It's a combo of sinus issues and work being really busy, I'm just shattered when I get home.

8 miles This is my longest run since my knee started acting up, in fact, last time I ran 8 miles was early March :eek: I won't lie, it wasn't easy, my fitness has gone to pot and I did feel a twinge from about 3.5miles but it didn't develop into anything. But glad to be seeing some progress. Icing it here now. I won't run tomorrow I'll go to the gym and go for a run again Tues and see how it is. Have another physio session on Thursday.

Gym session, 15 mins on the treadmill, knee felt fine, bit of rowing and then mostly strength training.

• Advertisement

4 miles
    Whole body stiff from yesterday's gym session, presumably that'll ease once I'm a bit more used to it.
    Core work
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

Thursday 29th April
    7 miles. Distance seems to be ok on the knee now, it's the fitness that needs a workout!! We'll get there. Great to be out running a decent distance midweek.

Had planned to go to the gym after work yesterday (Friday) but was absolutely shattered.

51.5miles in April 2010

Saturday 1st May
    Gym session this morning -
    2km run to warm up
    3 sets of 15 on each exercise:
    seated row pec fly
    lat pulldown chest press
    leg press shoulder press
    gravitron abductor x2
    ab machine inverted rows
    squats lunges

physio work
    core work
    stretching

5 mile run this evening. Legs felt a bit tired after this morning's work but at least I got out. Knee felt absolutely fine.

Sunday 2nd May
    6miles Knee felt grand until about 5 miles and then I could feel something, not pain but a dull feeling in my knee. 6 was enough anyway, I was tired afterwards. It's going to take a while to get the fitness back but great to be able to run two days in a row with no pain. Saying that, I was jealous of everyone running in Limerick today. Would have loved it.
    Iced the knee afterwards
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

Monday 3rd May
    Gym session
    Hoped to get a short run in too afterwards but felt the knee go after a 1km warm up on the treadmill so decided to leave it for today.

No time to run yesterday as working late and had to get my vaccinations for my holiers :)

Wednesday 5th May
    4.34 miles 9.33/mi
    stretches

Friday 7th May
    Nice easy 5miles watching the sun set over some green hills. Fab. Apart from the 4 flies in the mouth and one in the eye!!
    Few small hills to test out the knee. Hmm, not sure it's completely mended but it's much improved.
    Stretching

Saturday 9th May
    2 hours of surfing, well trying to surf. Brilliant fun and some fun cross training!! Fantastic day to be at the coast.

Sunday 10th May
    10miles in the glorious sunshine around the backroads of Limerick. Lovely to be out of Cork for the weekend and what a day for a run. Found the hills tough enough on the breathing but otherwise the knee held out. Icing it here now. Felt a twinge at 9miles but not pain. Longest run in quite a while. Feels great to be running again.

Monday 10th May
    1.5miles on the treadmill followed by strength session in the gym.

No running at all this week, just wasn't in the humour. Working late and then once I got home was no in humour to head out. Lazy lazy.
    2 hours surfing yesterday. Waves pretty ****e compared to last week but I managed to surf a few waves which is progress.

Sunday 16th May
    10mile run today. Same route as last Sunday. Hills seemed easier. Both knees a bit iffy toward the end of the route. Icing them here now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to see you're getting back now. You aiming for Dublin now instead of Edinburgh? I'm still mulling over a fun run around Roscommon in July.

Yep have cancelled Edinburgh. I'd never manage it. Have registered for DCM so once I'm back from hols in July I'll start focusing on training. Hmm could be tempted to do the half in Roscommon.

Monday 17th May
    5 miles. Arms aching from the surfing Saturday. Knees in good shape.
    Foam roller
    physio exercises

Wednesday 19th May
    7.5miles. Had planned to do 5 but was enjoying it so took a bit of a detour. Wow, warm out there this evening.
    Physio exercises
    Stretching

Thursday 20th May
    Really wanted to go for a run in that sunshine this evening but I also needed to get to the gym and do some work there so 1.5 hour strength session in the gym. Will run tomorrow.

Friday 21st May
    3.3miles this morning. Planned to do 5 but bit of a twinge in my knee so didn't want to ask for trouble, this is more mileage than I've done in a week in ages. Hoping to do 13 on Sunday.
    Stretching
    Foam roller

Had planned to do 13 on Sunday...but between getting up late, dreading the heat and general procrastination it didn't get done.

Monday 24th May
    5 miler planned but what a lovely evening decided to stay out longer. Only headed out at 9pm and the roads were lovely and quiet and it was fairly cool. 7 really enjoyable miles and two happy knees. One of those runs that makes you very grateful to have two working legs and to have decided that you'd like to take up running few years back. A total pleasure.
    Physio exercises
    Stretching

Tuesday 25th May
    6.3miles with Hunnymonster and Colblimp, pretty slow pace and some walking towards the end. Neverthless, brilliant to meet Amadeus and HM and the rest of the fantastic crew and a privilege to run with HM on her awesome achievement.

Thursday 27th May
    5miles. Didn't head out until 9.45 this evening but it was still light. Lovely out there.

• Advertisement

Friday 28h May
    Just over 12 miles in that heat!!! Longest run since injured. Felt grand except bit of a twinge in the knee toward the end. Had planned to do 13 but felt sensible to stop at 12. Might need to visit the physio again, although I'm way better I don't think it's 100% and it may start to act up as the mileage increases.

Followed by cocktails and Sex and the City II.

Advertisement