Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

5 miles Tried to take it handy today. Could feel my knee after the first mile or so. It's not painful but it's not right. Kindof a dull feeling.
    Physio exercises, stretching, ice

6 miles Hot out there this evening and my sinuses are crap. Didn't really enjoy the run as too hot and bothered but it's done.
    Foam roller
    Stretching

Took a few hours off work this morning, it's way too sunny to be working!! 5.7miles but it is seriously hot out there. Respect to Jo to have run in that heat, it nearly killed me and I didn't even run 6 miles. And to think I was considering MDS!!!
    Stretching
    Physio exercises
    Ice

Gym session after work

5miles along some of the Cork marathon route. Breathing not the best in the morning and my knee was a bit stiff but otherwise grand.

14 miles in the afternoon's blistering heat. Knee felt great, a little stiff but no pain. Yipee! Stopped and stretched at 9 miles which seemed to loosen it out. Did a 6mile loop so water stop at 6 miles, at 12 miles had a coconut water and normal water and then finished it off at 14. Probably could have done another mile or two but happy with that.
    Stretching in the garden, core work

• Advertisement

5 easy miles in the wind and rain. Talk about different weather to yesterday's sauna. It was lovely and cool.

No running since Monday. Serious sinus issues, felt like a zombie all week, just about made it to work but straight to bed every evening. Rotten. Lovely 6.2miles this morning and would have loved to have carried on but have a load of things to do today. Really hope I can get some running in on holidays but not sure about how safe it will be...

5 hungover miles Bit of a twinge in the knee.
    Physio exercises
    Ice

I delayed my run all evening then when I finally got out I didn't want to finish! Work that one out :confused:
    5.5miles Feeling a bit more like myself tonight, not such a battle and was able to pick up the pace towards the end. Hopefully the fitness is returning.

It's almost a month since my last post. I've been in Central America :cool:. I did bring my trainers and went for a couple of short runs early in the trip and got some interest from the locals!! But for several reasons I didn't run anymore: the humidity was 95%, we had a really hectic schedule, 10 hour bus trips, leaving at 6am and there often just wasn't time to fit any running in, plus I was ill for 7 days in the middle of the trip so that didn't help and some of the places we were were just not suitable or safe. I had an amazing time though :) and did lots of snorkelling, caving and hiking in the jungle. I'm totally jet lagged today after 24 hours travel but will see how the legs are tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Ok, started HH's intermediate marathon plan for DCM today. Not sure how I'll get on with a serious dent in my fitness and some concern about the previous knee injury but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.

3 miles (did Tuesday's run today). Hmm the jetlag didn't help, felt really hot (it was lunchtime) and my fitness is shot but I got out there which is the main thing.

Poor effort this week. Basically died after Monday's 3 miles, managed to get to work but that was about it all week. Fell asleep after work every evening, ended up awake at 2am...3am...4am...5am...then a bit too much to drink Friday night meant Saturday was a washout...Anyway, hoping I'm back to normal now.

10 miles this afternoon (should have been 13 but didn't want to push my luck). Wasn't sure how I'd get on since I haven't done a long run for ages but it was grand and my knee was fine. Talk about a grey drizzly day, guess those holidays are long behind me now :( but at least it wasn't too warm out.

No excuses next week.

Gym session
    Upper body and legs strength training
    Core work
    Stretching

Feeling like myself today, i.e. awake!

3 miles as per HH.
    Core work, physio exercises for legs, stretching, foam roller

Mileage update for the year to date:

January 116.3
    February 79.6
    March 70.71
    April 50.99
    May 92.68
    June 56.50
    July 16
    Total 482.78

7miles. Stiff as a board from the gym on Monday, my ass and thighs felt like lead plus hr pretty high. Hopefully the fitness will improve in a few weeks. If not, I'm going to think about Florence rather than DCM. Give myself another month's training.
    Core exercises
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller
    Stretching

3 miles Legs finally feeling a bit looser.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller
    Stretching

Going surfing tomorrow so did tomorrow's 7 miles tonight. Legs felt great, breathing great, hr way lower than all my other runs this week and speed faster despite less effort. Leg did get a bit stiff around 4 miles but did some stretching and no problems after that. Wore my 2150's which I have been encouraged to wear by my physio and a reputable shoe store but which I haven't really liked and have kept for the gym and the odd 3 miler but they felt great tonight. Love runs like that :D
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

13 miles Had planned to do 14 but found it so warm and humid...had zero urge to run once I started, it just wasn't happening today. Plenty of walk breaks. Not enough water. Anyway, it's done. Bring on the new week.
    33 miles this week
    1 strength training session
    1 surf session

3 easy miles tonight. Bloody humid even though I didn't get out til after 9pm.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

• Advertisement

No running last night. Stomach didn't feel great.
    Did last night's 7 miles tonight. Legs felt great, breathing did not. Garmin acting mad so had to turn it off but turned it on at halfway and it seemed to be fine. Roasting hot, was a sweaty mess by the end of it. I love the fine weather but I will be happy when it's a bit cooler for running.
    Bit stiff just above my arches, not sure if that is shin splints. Will get a sports massage soon I think.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller
    Stretching

7 miles planned for this morning. Woke up with a stomach ache which progressed into a nasty case of vomiting, nausea, seriously bad stomach pain and well, I won't elaborate any further. Ended up at the doc at 5.30pm when I finally realised it wasn't improving. Got a shot and only started to feel normal about an hour ago. So no running for me :mad:. Can just about stand up. Was also supposed to be at a comedy gig tonight. Pain in the ass! This is the 4th bout of gastritis-type stuff I've had in 7 months, so going to have to get myself checked out...maybe picked up a bug in somewhere dodgy and I've a few countries to choose from...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

hope you're ok. I picked something up in Bolivia a few years ago, complicated by a stomach ulcer. I've had trouble on and off since. Doc gave me nexium. They're really good. They suppress the acid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear that blueskye, sounds similar to what I was suffering from back in February and have been suffering from on and off ever since. My doc is at his wits end trying to figure out what it is, I'm lucky that I've never been much of a vomiter which is the only thing that kept me strong back then I think. Hope you recover soon, lots of water and fluids and lots of sleep and TLC from whoever is willing to give it. :)

Had planned to try to run yesterday but the meds made me really drowsy and I slept the afternoon away. Probably no harm after the trauma of the previous day.

8 miles this morning. Felt great to be out although bloody humid still.
    Physio exercises
    Core work
    Foam roller. Have upgraded to "The Grid" and it's fab. The bog standard one I have been using is starting to get squished in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Just wondering what you think of 'the grid'?

Just wondering what you think of 'the grid'?

So far I like it. It's sturdier than my old foam roller and the grooves/ridges make for a deeper massage.

4 miles at 6am this morning. I NEVER manage to get up before work, despite setting my alarm and hoping I'll finally be able to drag myself up. So happy about that.
    Physio session before work. Good news, nothing serious. Some massage, ultrasound, few needles. Can keep training away. Although he did give me a hard time for not doing any interval training...hmm, maybe next week.
    Gym session after work - strength training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you're back in action again Blueskye. What races have you lined up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Started my Half Journey today with a 2 mile run!

Advertisement