Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

littlebug wrote: »
    Good to see you're back in action again Blueskye. What races have you lined up?

Thanks Littlebug. I'm doing the 10miler in Dublin on the 21st and the HM in Sept...hoping to do DCM in October but have also registered for the Florence marathon in November just in case...how about yourself, what's next for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You'll have a heavy training schedule then so!
    I have Streets of Galway 8k this saturday, then the Galway City Half marathon on 29th August and if that all goes well and I stay injury free I plan to sign up for DCM (eek!)

You'll have a heavy training schedule then so!
    I have Streets of Galway 8k this saturday, then the Galway City Half marathon on 29th August and if that all goes well and I stay injury free I plan to sign up for DCM (eek!)

Cool :) DCM is such a great race...all going well let's hope we're both injury free on Oct 25th...

8 miles along the Marina, beautiful evening with the sun setting and the water on one side. Finished it off with 6 x 160m strides.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

Wow, the logs are busy. Took a rest day yesterday as lsr planned for today. Busy this weekend so took a half day to make sure I got my long run done today. 16 miles planned. Was a bit nervous about this as I really struggled with the 13 two weeks ago. Aimed for 10.30/mi pace and had an absolutely brilliant run. Felt really comfortable. Dropped off water so drank every 4 miles, had a gel at 7 and 11 miles. Knee felt a bit swollen towards the end but no pain and icing it here now. Ended up running 16.5 very comfortable miles. Most at 10.15/mi pace with the last mile at 9.47/mi. Feeling much more confident now. Just have to keep up the foam roller, physio exercises, icing, strength training and consistent running and I'll be ok I think.
    16.5 miles

• Advertisement

Blueskye wrote: »
    Just have to keep up the foam roller, physio exercises, icing, strength training and consistent running and I'll be ok I think.
    16.5 miles

:p Funny how a hobby can turn into a full time job!

:p Funny how a hobby can turn into a full time job!

I know! I'm enjoying it all, which is the main thing and managing to balance my social life which is v. important. TBH I'm terrified I'll get injured before DCM and not be able to run. Obviously missing Connemara and Edinburgh has had an effect. But if it means I'm being more careful, well that's no harm.

4 easy miles this morning.
    Foam roller and physio exercises after
    40.5miles this week. Highest mileage in ages :)

Felt rotten Monday and Tuesday and still feel ****e today (sinuses do not like this sunny weather) so missed the gym and 4 miles yesterday (will make them up later in the week). Pushed on tonight with 8 miles. Note to self, do NOT wear new sportsbra on an 8 mile run. Not the most supportive. That, coupled with post nasal drip, sore throat and a head like a zombie, it wasn't the most comfortable run but it's done. Managed to pick up the pace tonight, for the 6 miles in the middle. Found myself trying to take over any runners I saw. Decent session.
    Physio stretches
    Foam roller

4 miles
    Foam roller
    Core work
    At physio this morning. Some massage and acupuncture and got the all clear. Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great news!

• Advertisement

Tomorrow's 8 miles tonight. Enjoyed the first 6 and then just got bored. Luckily wasn't near home or I would have just stopped. Anyway, it's done. Everyone in Cork seemed to be in good humour tonight, lots of cars beeping their horns and waving (maybe I look like someone?) and a man living round the corner joked was I training for 2010 :eek: Anyway, he said keep up the good work :) Nice.

Ice (slight niggle on the infamous knee) Physio actually told me I should be having ice baths after the long runs...not sure if I can put myself through the torture...

17 miles planned for today. But it was never meant to be....a hilly route and the heat killed me. Stomach started acting up around 4 miles and didn't really improve - cramps mainly. Sweat was pumping out of me... Ended up running 9.83 miles and I'd say I walked another 4 miles. The few beers last night probably didn't help either...:rolleyes: I SHOULD have gone out earlier this morning, hitting the roads in the midday heat not the cleverest idea. But hey, tomorrow is another day.

Bad luck today... it was really hot. I was starting to feel the effects when I was just finishing up before 11 so how you got through that many miles I don't know. As you say... just one of those days!

4 miles circa 9.10/mi
    Foam roller - can really feel that I haven't done this in a few days. Had a bit of knee pain the past couple of days. No pain running tonight though.

Feeling like crap this week, really tired despite sleeping lots. Sinuses still giving me trouble too.
    9 miles not very motivated but got it done. Skipping the 10mile race Saturday, just can't face the journey up and down after the week. Too much going on. But will do the HM next month.
    Physio exercises
    Stretching

Well after deciding not to run the race, too tired, not feeling ready to race etc. I changed my mind and got the train up at 5.35 this morn from Limerick :eek: It wasn't so bad, managed to sleep some of the way.

Met RQ, RK, OI, Xebec, Racheljev, Robinph and Menoscemo for the first time, so that was cool.

Hung back at the start, as I had absolutely no idea how I was going to get on today pace-wise. Took it easy at first and then got fairly comfortable for a few miles. But the heat killed me. Not enough water at the first station (I was pouring my own water into a cup and a girl stole it out of my hand!!) and was parched by the second water station. At 7 miles the race finished for me, my legs just stopped working. They really wouldn't move!! So 2 very slow miles, some walk breaks and managed to pick it up a bit for the last mile. I left the garmin on autolap which was stupid but it was fairly accurate with the miles:

1.36.38, not a pb, in fact I got almost the same time (1.36.31) at Ballycotton 2009 - my only other 10mile race. So I guess it means I haven't gotten any worse but also haven't improved. But that would make sense given I've been out with injury since March and spent June/July away travelling. So hopefully with more consistent training I'll get that speed up. Great to be back out there again.

10 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play, it was tough today wasn't it? The heat nearly killed me as well, never run in that before. Great to meet you today, are you doing the half?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Nice to meet you today. The first water station was a bit chaotic in what was otherwise a well organised race. Congrats on a great run particularly considering everything you mentioned. Twas a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

so cool to meet you!!! you could have stayed with us more. you would have been surprised with your endurance in the sun.

racheljev wrote: »
    Fair play, it was tough today wasn't it? The heat nearly killed me as well, never run in that before. Great to meet you today, are you doing the half?

Great to meet you too. Yep I'll be up again for the half.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    so cool to meet you!!! you could have stayed with us more. you would have been surprised with your endurance in the sun.

Cool to meet you too :)You're so positive menoscemo!! Endurance? Don't think I have too much of that at the moment!!

4.6 hungover miles Quite a session last night in Limerick and wasn't even sure if I'd make it out today. Breathing pretty bad but it was a hilly route, which I need given my performance yesterday.
    Foam roller
    Physio stretches

Busy this evening and all day tomorrow so swapped today and tomorrow's runs to fit the long one in this afternoon 9 miles. Wow it's hot out there. Sinuses still at me so not feeling 100%. Still lovely to be out running rather than working :)

Will do 4 tomorrow and 4 Thursday and then it's 19 on Saturday...

4 miles this morning. Legs felt tired for the first two miles but loosened up after that.

Skipped 4 miler yesterday, fell asleep after work. Wrecked this week.

Supposed to do 19 today and 9 tomorrow. Just couldn't psych myself up for the 19 so did the 9 instead. Head totally stuffed up from sinuses, coughing up all sorts of lovely gunk. Slight twinge in knee.
    9 miles
    Foam roller

19.35miles at a sloooow pace - circa 10.30 - 10.45/mi
    Knee felt a bit stiff towards the end but nothing serious. 2 gels and water every 4/5 miles. Perfect weather for running - cloudy and drizzly at times.

First ice bath - not as bad as I thought it would be but probably need more ice (had 2 bags plus cold water). Once you don't move you get used to the cold. Will do that again.

41.35miles this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Bluesky, I wouldnt worry about running slower than usual, its the covering the distance that counts at this stage (10.30 min miles is actually fast for me:eek:). I found the ice baths great last year, a real help in recovery.

well done Blue skye. another lsr done and dusted.
    I'm the same as Bally8 when I hear someone say slow @10.30 I think "pfft they don't know slow":p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

nice one on todays run

• Advertisement

10 miles tonight with 4 (kindof) speedy miles in the middle. Felt absolutely fantastic out there tonight. Breathing good, legs felt good, slight twinge at mile two but nothing after that. Haven't had a run like that in ages.

Haven't been to gym in 4 weeks so really need to give myself a kick up the ass in that regard. Have also let core work slip. Just feel zonked after work and don't feel like doing anything but once I get going I'm fine. Need to HTFU!!!

Physio exercises tonight
    Stretching

Listened to marathontalk podcast with that barefoot runner dude (Ted?). Interesting and makes a change, I usually listen to music but enjoyed it.

Advertisement