Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

5 miles recovery. Really enjoyed running again tonight. Not feeling as much as an effort as it did a few weeks ago. I guess it's 7 weeks of consistent training. Realised last month was my highest mileage this year too so happy about that. Hope to keep it up now.
    Slight stiffness in left knee so going to ice it now.
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

Listening to the ultra marathon episode on marathon talk. Loving these podcasts.

10 miles in the afternoon sun. It is so warm out there. Radiohead to keep me company.
    Stretching
    Foam roller

20 miles (3.29.10)
    Quicker than last week's 19.3 miler. Felt fine most of the way, gel at 8 and 14 miles. Sat down at 15.5 miles, in no rush to get up again...but I did get up. Got some pain in my left ankle from about 16 miles on. At one stage thought I may have to hobble back to the car but stretched it and it improved again. But once I stopped running it started to hurt again. Will see how it is tomorrow.
    Ice bath, defo colder than last week - 3 bags of ice this time and filled it with water from the kitchen tap which is way colder than the water that comes out of the bath tap. Wow, felt it. Otherwise grand. But I can't see myself going any faster on marathon day. Which means it'll definitely take me 4.30 hours at least I'd say. Fingers crossed my ankle is ok tomorrow.

45 miles this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done on the run AND the ice bath! :)

Hobbling around this evening. Now that I think about it, I remember going over oen my ankle yesterday, coming down a hill on my run. It didn't hurt so thought nothing of it, but that may be the cause of the pain today. Going to ice it again this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hope it's ok Blueskye. Hopefully just a post lsr niggle and it'll be ok tomorrow.

So spent Monday morning hobbling around work, made an appt with physio for Thurs (earliest he could see me) and took evening off as a rest day. Today my foot was sortof irritating rather than sore and at times I had no pain at all so decided to give it a chance and go for the scheduled 5 miles after work (and cancelled physio appt).

At 0.5 miles started getting jolting pains on the sole of my foot, so turned around for home, figured no point aggravating it. While walking back, I decided to try running again and all felt well, no pain at all so I decided to go with it and kept running til 4 miles. All fine and then foot started to hurt again. Nice 1 mile walk home. V. annoying. Shouldn't have cancelled physio, will ring again tomorrow and see if I can re-schedule. Something is definitely wrong with my foot. Going to head to gym after work tomorrow and do some strength training instead.

4.11 miles

Physio this lunchtime. I love that guy! I had all sort of notions about plantar fascia and no marathon this year, but thankfully it seems to be nothing serious. He thinks I hurt it when I went over my ankle on Saturday, maybe hit a nerve. So some massage and ultrasound. All clear to run. Still a bit tender so will do this evening's run tomorrow morning. It's a low mileage week so should get Saturday and Sunday's run's in and hopefully be back to normal next week. So nice to have a chat with someone about my training, apart from boards I don't talk about running with anyone really. It's so cool to talk about it with someone who also runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hope the run goes well for you tomorrow after a rest tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good training, if the physio says it will be fine, it will be fine (and if not; don't listen to him)

So are you going to give 2hr for the half a lash?

• Advertisement

Physio says I should go for sub 2 hrs...I did it in 2.02 last year so really I should be able for sub 2...not confident though. Ah sure, will give it a lash.

Oops, it was 2.04 for Dublin HM last year, guess I've got the rose tinted glasses on...that or early-onset alzheimers...
    So maybe not sub 2...I'll just run as fast as I can!

Couldn't get out of bed yesterday morning to run before work. Felt like ****e to be honest. Still don't feel great, but it's just a headcold or sinusitis or something. Slept for a couple of hours after work and for about 10 hours last night!

6 miles this afternoon, 9.30/mi pace. Foot feels fine, legs felt rested (no running since Tues) but wasn't feeling the love. Head feels crappy. Hopefully feel more human tomorrow.
    Physio exercises

12 miles was on the schedule for today. Thought I would be up for it given the lack of pain running yesterday. After 2 miles my foot started to hurt again so I decided I'd best turn around and head for home, after a few mins of hobbling I started to run again and it felt fine so ran past home in the other direction...all well until about 6.5miles and then it started to hurt again. Couldn't run on it this time so turned around and headed back. Bit of running interspersed with walking.
    7.24 miles
    Ice
    Foam roller

Not going to push it, if it doesn't feel right next Friday I won't do the HM, but hoping it will be fine by then. Positive thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hopefully it will all be good for the half.

Strength session at gym. Ankle swollen today. Will ice it later.
    Core work/stretching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hope the foot is alright come Saturday, maybe take it easy until then.

Yeah I'm not going to do anymore running til it feels right.

That's a bummer Blueskye:( Hopefully it'll feel ok for the weekend.

No time for exercise yesterday with a loong day of travelling.

Spinning class tonight. Couldn't walk on my ankle this morning but it seemed to improve throughout the day. Didn't want to chance it though. Will give it a try tomorrow. Don't think I'm going to do the half, another 5am start this week just doesn't seem too appealing...we'll see how I feel on Friday.

It's been a funny old week, not good training-wise. On a positive note my ankle seems to have come right. Decided against heading up for the HM this morning.
    9.3miles today 9.3/mi
    Foam roller
    Physio exercises

• Advertisement

6 miles Ankle started to hurt so decided to call it a day. That and the fact I was totally saturated, the rain was unbelievable. 20miler scheduled for Friday so really hoping I can do it.

No internet the past few days...

Wednesday: 6 miles
    Thursday: 5 miles
    Friday: 19.8 miles + ice bath
    Saturday 5.2 miles

Big session tonight so not sure if I'll make it out tomorrow, if I do it'll just be for an easy 5. Foam rolling and physio exercises on track. Ankle feeling great, no problems at all. LSR faster than previous 20miler by about 7 mins. Felt great for first 13 miles and then just got bored so it was a struggle to finish. I've decided I'm not doing a marathon for the first 6 months of next year, once Florence is over will concentrate on swimming and running shorter distances and gym work and hope that the love will return.

I'm a day behind this week, should have been running last night but I'm a lazy arse...

Tonight:
    5miles kindof a tempo run:

Stretching
    Foam roller

8 dark drizzly miles at 9.30/mi
    Had to abandon my usual route as it's a bit quiet and dark/lonely now, so it's back to pounding the pavement. Quite like running in drizzle though, lovely and cool.
    Foam roller

5 miles this morning. Feet not mad about new runners. Guess I'll have to ease into them gently. Bit of a niggle last night in right ankle (achilles?) and it's playing up again today. Ice ice ice. Not the same ankle as last week! May well visit physio next week.

Well I iced my ankle again last night and headed out for a tentative 10 miles this lunchtime. Wore my old runners and it went grand. Not a bother. Ankle still a bit tight so will keep an eye on it.
    10miles
    Last 20 scheduled for tomorrow, but think I'll do the Cork to Cobh and a few miles before it. Easier than plodding through another 20 by myself.

Well I didn't get up this morning to do the Cork to Cobh...so decided to head out and aim for my last 20. Well that didn't happen either. Managed 8miles and then had enough, zero motivation to run another step. Walked the 2 miles back to the car and headed home. :rolleyes:
    I've 2 20milers, a 19 and a 16.5 done. I might do a 20 towards the end of the week or I might just leave it at that. 10 miles seems a nice distance, I'm just not feeling the love for longer than that on my feet.
    8 miles
    36miles this week

I was like that last week Blueskye.... lack of motivation mixed in with lack of energy in my case. you have some good long runs behind you now anyway so I think you'll be fine. See you in 3 weeks and 1 day! Are you staying with the pacers... I think you're able for faster than 4.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Blueskye wrote: »
    I've 2 20milers, a 19 and a 16.5 done. I might do a 20 towards the end of the week or I might just leave it at that. 10 miles seems a nice distance, I'm just not feeling the love for longer than that on my feet.
    8 miles
    36miles this week
    I wouldn't bother with another 20, tbh. With those long runs done you're going to be fine.

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    I was like that last week Blueskye.... lack of motivation mixed in with lack of energy in my case. you have some good long runs behind you now anyway so I think you'll be fine. See you in 3 weeks and 1 day! Are you staying with the pacers... I think you're able for faster than 4.30.

Hopefully the taper will sort me out. Oh I don't even think I'll hit sub 4.30 tbh, I just want to get to the finish line!! I found it hard to get anywhere near the pacers last year but if I can stay with them this year I will.

Yes look forward to seeing everyone on the big day :D Will be lovely to put faces to names.

Advertisement