Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running for fun, running for sanity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

5 miles 46.33 Felt great to get out after a crappy few days at work. I'm a total moany mary at the moment :rolleyes: I've had enough of it, back to a happier/more positive Blueskye tomorrow :)
    8.42 (last mile felt very comfortable, maybe I'm getting my fitness back finally).

7.1 miles 68.01 mins Had planned to do 8miles but the bathroom was calling...Weird flooding going on around the Marina so had to re-route a bit.

Listened to Part II of Bruce Fordyce's podcast on marathontalk. That guy is a legend. I am definitely going to do Comrades one of the years.

5 miles Legs felt a bit stiff/heavy but lovely evening. Now for some lovely beers :D

I've really fallen off the training wagon...the weekend was lost to a haze of partying. It's a long time since I've let the hair down like that but I really needed it and had a ball. Epic weekend. Not exactly wonderful timing given DCM is in less than two weeks...but hey such is life. Part of me feels bad given so many boardsies can't run at the moment and here I am throwing training out the window. But another part of me feels I'm missing out on a lot of social stuff due to all the recent training. It's hard to get the balance right.

Anyway, feeling under the weather today, sore throat etc. but most likely due to the weekend excess. So I will go out for the 4miler Hal scheduled for this evening.

6 lovely miles 9.09/mi
    Foam roller

• Advertisement

4 miles Was really enjoying this, would have loved to have kept going for another few miles...oh how the tides have turned!
    Physio exercises

I am sick :( coughing, wheezing, lovely stuff. Despite a very early night last night still feel like crap today. I've been harbouring it all week but it seems to be getting worse. But I couldn't not run at all so 4.73miles. Legs feeling great, pity bout the rest of me. Hopefully lots of rest and sleep this week will sort me out.

Ok so I have a chest infection and a sinus infection. On antibiotics since this morning. The timing couldn't be any better really :( This year I've missed Connemarathon and Edinburgh marathon due to a knee injury and now DCM is looking a bit iffy. Hopefully lots of rest and drugs will get me to that start line on Monday. Positive thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Noooo! Not another woman gone! Fingers crossed the antibiotics clear it up quickly and you're not too knocked out by them. Lots of rest and tlc, mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oh no :(
    well look a few days on anti-bs and the infection will be cleared up. With all the training done hopefully it won't affect your overall fitness.
    What awful timing:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Blueskye wrote: »
    Ok so I have a chest infection and a sinus infection. On antibiotics since this morning. The timing couldn't be any better really :( This year I've missed Connemarathon and Edinburgh marathon due to a knee injury and now DCM is looking a bit iffy. Hopefully lots of rest and drugs will get me to that start line on Monday. Positive thoughts.

hey bluesky, take care of yourself between now and then and you should be fine but be realistic about what your body can handle - there's always florence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Im with asimonov - rest, hot tea, hot chcoclate carbs, DVDs and hopefully you will be feeling better in no time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I got a cold the Monday before Dingle. Seriously overdosed on Lemsip for a couple of days and was right as reign by the Saturday. Look after yourself, plenty of vit c, warm drinks, duvet nights and hot water bottles. Hopefully we'll still see you up here.

Thanks everyone. You guys are great :) Resting all day today and taking tomorrow off work too so fingers crossed I'll start to feel more normal by Thursday/Friday. Definitely not ready to give up on it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hey Blueskye, just catching up on your log as I didn't realise you were running DCM. Hope you feel better by Monday and make it to the start line. Enjoy the rest days and good luck on mon.

Thanks Shazkea:)
    Ok I have decided I'll be running Monday (not that I really doubted it too much). I haven't run a single mile since last Sunday but the antibiotics seem to be working and I'm feeling better every day. I have absolutely no idea how I'll fare on Monday so no pressure, just going to go out and try to enjoy it as last year was such a nightmare. Actually really looking forward to it :D Hope to see you all for beers in McGrattans after. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck! :D

best of luck Blueskye. You'll be fine (says she quaking in her boots) :D See you on Monday hopefully!

Good to hear you're running. Enjoy the day and good luck. :)

Started out with the 4.30 pacers and felt really comfortable, left them after about 3 miles and was just ahead of them until about halfway, really enjoying it and amazed I was doing better than expected. Then the wheels fell off - left knee starting getting quite painful (an injury which hasn't given me any trouble since May but decided to show itself today) as did my right glute...the pain got worse and worse, had to keep stopping to stretch and watched in disappointment as the pacers passed me around mile 16...then my entire right leg seized up, from the hip down...I had to slow to a hobble and at UCD was seriously considering stopping as I was in so much pain and could barely walk. The thought of walking 6 miles was nearly too much. Anyway, I made it to the end in 4.53, a pb but there was no joy. In fact a lot of tears :(.

Didn't make it to McGrattans as I still can't walk comfortably. Hope you're having a blast.

I'll be back next year and hopefully it'll be third time lucky :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good day. Hope you enjoyed the day though. Thats the weird thing about old injuries that flare up early in marathons when they never show up in training runs. :confused:

Scarily similar for me Blueskye... it was at about 16 that it all started going wrong. Being my first time out I was still happy to finish though. It is weird how you can do all the training miles with barely a niggle and then it all goes to pot on the day :confused: I wasn't even really running much faster than my training pace (if at all at that stage).
    Next time... next time:)

Thanks guys.
    RQ, I did enjoy the first half, in fact I loved it but I didn't enjoy the race towards the end, I was in too much pain and soooo disappointed about what my time was going to be. But I'll get the injuries sorted, do more cross training and I'll be back.

LB, I know, how weird is that?? Marathon day is a strange one, anything can happen! But we made it to the end and that is an achievement in itself. So you tempted to come back for next year? ;)

Blueskye wrote: »
    LB, I know, how weird is that?? Marathon day is a strange one, anything can happen! But we made it to the end and that is an achievement in itself. So you tempted to come back for next year? ;)

eek I don't know. Between miles 16-20 yesterday I was saying "No way... never again" but when i perked up a bit again for the last few I was thinking more positively. I do think i'd like a stab at that 4.30 sometime... I think!

Ok a ****ty two weeks post-marathon - managed to get sick again, still have some sort of sinus infection and a cough but hopefully am on the mend. But did manage some rock-climbing and kayaking on Saturday which was fun.

Didn't feel like running at all until this week. Not going to run Florence as I just can't torture myself again so soon but I do hope to do the half in Waterford in December. So...back training, one day at a time, let's see how the body holds up...Also starting swimming lessons next week.

Tuesday 9th November
    4.5 miles
    Physio exercises
    Foam roller

Wednesday 10th November
    4.6 miles tempo but switched off garmin in the middle by accident.
    Core work
    Stretching
    Physio work

Enjoying it so far but it's very early days.

Nice times for just being back. I haven't managed to talk myself into anything resembling speed yet.

3 miles 29.07
    Very windy out there but mild and not raining. Lovely.

13th November 2010
    Planned to do 5M at HM pace which I estimated at 9.10/mi for a 2 hour HM. But I chose a fairly hilly route and my chest clearly wasn't up for the task. Plus I went out too fast:
    1 mile warm up 10.16

6 miles

14th November
    10 miler planned. But I just didn't have it in the legs or the lungs. I felt wrecked. Went out the hilly route again which probably wasn't wise. Plus garmin froze so went with a 50 min run, no idea of pace, probably around the 10/mile mark I'd say.

23.1miles this week

I haven't been posting for a few weeks...was unsure about my goals and have been sick plus the snow/ice didn't help...training has been patchy...

My major issue is lack of consistency and lack of speed sessions. I hate running in the dark and can think up of all manner of excuses not to head out once work is over. But I'm going to try to be a bit more focused. I've the Waterford Half in January, Ballycotton in March and the Connemara Half in April. I'm going to try focus on the shorter distances, improve my speed and strengthen up my leg as it's banjaxed. Then maybe/probably a marathon later in the year.

This week:
    Tues 4.5 miles and physio work
    Saturday 4.5 miles and physio/core work
    Sunday 9 miles and physio exercises
    18miles Getting over another chest infection so not 100% but I'm not dying either. Three christmas parties next week will prove challenging but I plan only drinking at one of them.

• Advertisement

Monday 13th December
    Upper body strength work and a spinning class. Felt great after a ****ty day at work.

Advertisement