Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flickr query

• 03-11-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

I got this email below today into my Flickr account and was wondering if anyone else got similar requests from Duduman - an editor on Wikipedia!!

Email

I'm an editor on Wikipedia and was wondering if you could license your images about the I Am... Beyonce Tour ( www.flickr.com/photos/61997318@N00/sets/72157620006888152/ ) as Attribution Share Alike or just Attribution so we could upload the images over there for use and incorporation into articles. Each image uploaded from your set to Wikipedia would have a link back to your profile and to the original source. These images would really help in protraying the different venues of the I Am... tour and improve our coverage of Beyonce.

Wikipedia is the largest encyclopedia in the world and one of the top ten most visited sites on the internet. This could certainly increase traffic to your images.

Please consider relicensing the images.
    Forever grateful,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

whats your question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I was was wondering if anyone else got similar requests from Duduman - an editor on Wikipedia!!

and if it was legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

uhhh ... have you any idea how many editors there ARE on wikipedia ? I doubt anyone here has had a request from that particular editor before. Particularly as the pictures are of Beyonce concerts :rolleyes:

Anyway, all he's asking is that you re-license your images if you want as one of those two creative commons licenses. If you do then wikipedia can use them as source images on the pages. Otherwise they can't. It's entirely up to yourself.

Thanks for that, Id say something if they were good photos, they were only taken with a hand held camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

car wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Id say something if they were good photos, they were only taken with a hand held camera.
    Then surely you have nothing to loose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Sounds like the beginning of a scam to me...

-Chris- wrote: »

thats what I was thinking hence the post looking for feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Maybe...but if they they are asking for permission to use your photo and are willing to link back to flickr then there isn't much that could go wrong. Sur they could have easily have wrongly stolen it already because the full size version is on your flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

What are you worried about, ppl stealing your image!

Did you have a press pass to cover the event, if you didnt then you could find yourself in hot water if you allow them to use it!

Maybe...but if they they are asking for permission to use your photo and are willing to link back to flickr then there isn't much that could go wrong. Sur they could have easily have wrongly stolen it already because the full size version is on your flickr

Yeah, I'd think that it's unlikely, but I also think that an editor of Wikipedia contacting you out of the blue is unlikely too.

I'd be curious as to what the follow-up questions are...

(also, I thought there were no Wikipedia editors - everyone with a login is an editor, that's the point of Wikipedia. It's like emailing someone saying you're a boards photography contributor :P).

• Advertisement

The guy edits a beyonce page, he searches for Beyonce in flickr, up pops these pics and he wants to use them, not that far fetched really!

no i didnt have a press pass.... (if they press look like press photos, then I should give up my day job, lol)

they were mostly taken with an olympus handheld 100 euro jobby camera, I was there with the other 101 thousand kids taking photos to remember the concert.

This is another reason why I was wondering if I should let them to link them to their sites, as I dont want be up in court by allowing them to use the photos.

Would agree with you there, forget all about it!

btw was looking at your pixie there some nicely composed and processed pictures there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Yeah, I'd think that it's unlikely, but I also think that an editor of Wikipedia contacting you out of the blue is unlikely too

No its not. I had someone contact me before over use of images I took at Banksys expo in Bristol. The guy is just doing the right thing by asking for use. I'm not sure how this can be construed as being a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

surrrre.

1. Contact some randomer out of the blue who has P&S images of some beyonce concert.
    2. Ask said randomer to change the license on his images.
    3. ???
    4. Profit !!!

I'm curious as to what you think step three is there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's unlikely to be a scam.

I've a few images in use on Wikipedia, where "editors" of that subject contacted me and asked permission to use my image(s).

Nothing unusual.

And, yes, all the images I've allowed them to use are fully licensed and there are no copyright issues on my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

No its not. I had someone contact me before over use of images I took at Banksys expo in Bristol. The guy is just doing the right thing by asking for use. I'm not sure how this can be construed as being a scam.

Agreed. All the guy is asking you to do is change the licencing on the photos so that they can be linked from Wikipedia. Wikipedia is VERY particular about using appropriately licenced content, they have to be because there is so much stuff on them, and anybody can check if their image gets linked or so on. I just had a look at the Beyoncé page, and there's a lot of other obvious 'fan' pics on it.

If there's an issue with the licencing (which I doubt), you'll at worst get a cease and desist order (or whatever the legal term is) to say "Take these down". I doubt that will happen.

I'd say that if you are happy with the idea of your pics appearing on the site, then respond and say 'go for it'.

Don't forget lads, not EVERYthing on the internet is a scam. Honest. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think what the op is asking is if you are not supposed to take in cameras to a venue and you take photos in there might you get into trouble if your image pops up on wikipedia

I think I will have to just sleep on it. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i got asked... you can change licence to non commerical creative commons i thinks
    thats what i did.

scam??? god some people are awful paranoid

• Advertisement

Fair enough, more experience than I.
    surrrre.

1. Contact some randomer out of the blue who has P&S images of some beyonce concert.
    2. Ask said randomer to change the license on his images.
    3. ???
    4. Profit !!!

I'm curious as to what you think step three is there :D

The only thing that had my antennae up was someone representing themselves as a Wikipedia Editor, which I thought was a bogus accreditation (unless this happened, I'm not up on Wikipedia).

Paulw wrote: »
    It's unlikely to be a scam.

I've a few images in use on Wikipedia, where "editors" of that subject contacted me and asked permission to use my image(s).

Nothing unusual.

And, yes, all the images I've allowed them to use are fully licensed and there are no copyright issues on my side.

Cool, more experience/corroboration. I take back my previous suspicions.

Advertisement