Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fido Microchip

Options
  • 03-11-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone out there can help me... we found an abandoned pup, tied up and left on a main street for several hours. Naturally we have alerted the guards, vets, shelters etc. No joy in locating the owner. We went to the vet and although its microchipped, the owner never registered it. Anyway, we dont have any problem in adopting as ours is a total pet friendly house but if so we want to have puppy registered. The problem is that because its already microchipped, the vet says it'll be confusing if we get it done a second time.

However, in order to register the original microchip number on fido.ie, we need some 6-character registration code. Because we have no idea who did the original microchipping etc, we dont have this code.

Has anyone any idea what we can do? Its a shame the owners never registered the details but having said that, there's no one looking for it either :confused:

Anyway, it seems a shame to have a chip there and not be able to use it. Particularly seeing as we cant get a second one put in. Has anyone come across this before? I've tried ringing around the different associations but unfortunately fido.ie dont have a phone number so they are uncontactable except by post :rolleyes:

At least pup is warm, fed, happy and balanced. Tail is wagging again and the nervousness has peetered out. Thats the main thing :)

Thanks Guys, much appreciated for any replies,

Cheers,

Shug :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

is it possible the dog was dumped by people who might have stolen it? i always worry about that :( glad hes ok,ive no input on the chip sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I would try emailing them and asking what to do.

Alternatively, I guess you could ask the vet to remove the microchip if the dog ever has an anesthetic, like when you neuter him and put a new one in...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

just thinking...i have a pup here whos chip is not registered im waiting on the IKC papers to arrive so i know her details like d.o.b ect as they need that for the chip details so maybe it wasnt the owners mistake??if my pup got lost now her chip is not registered to me yet,is it a pure breed pup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shug Avery

Yeah we thought about it being stolen but surely the guards/animal welfare/ispca would be notified? It seems like the owners probably just couldnt take care of the pup and left it in an open area tied up, in order to be found. At least, thats what it seems to be. We just dont know any other way of trying to locate the owner now at this stage.

As for trying to remove the chip, no can do. Apparently its that small that is kinda moves around underneath the skin and is very difficult to locate. Doh!

Its not the end of the world if we dont manage to have pup chipped but as a responsible pet owner, its my first preference. I'd be in an awful state myself if any pet of mine went missing and couldnt be located because I never chipped them.

I'm still checking all the websites daily, just to be sure but if we are lucky enough to be the new owners then I'd rather get something sorted.

I'll try emailing fido again, ya never know :)

Thanks Guys :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Fido.ie should be able to tell you how to register the chip, I think you may have to get a new code not a new chip from the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

you could try this
    Member Details Association Name:www.fido.ie Address: P.O. box 484,
    Naas,
    Co. Kildare
    IRELAND Identification Opening Hours: 24 hours, 365 days Full Service Open Hours: 24 hours, 365 days Spoken Languages: English Phone: +353 8612 54321 Fax: +353 1627 6100 Email: registrations@fido.ie Web: www.fido.ie Online Search Capability: Authorized users Last Data Transfer
    to Europetnet:
    Oct 27 2009 12:00AM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Fido are very, very helpful. This happens a lot with dogs in pounds and rescues, the chip is either not registered, or the owners can't be contacted. Your vet will be able to give you a new code, as already suggested. Even if the chip isn't registered, Fido may be able to tell who it was that registered the dog, by the numbers of the chips before and after the one you have.

However, in law, you can't own the dog until one year and one day after you found it. So, if you get the dog registered to you, you may be breaking the law. If you notify the local dog warden with the full details of the dog, and the local garda, then I think the pup should be able to do its 'time' of 5 days with you, but some wardens may insist on the dog being given to them. If you don't want to do that, fair enough, but as I say, then the dog won't legally be yours until one year and one day after you found it.

As the dog is chipped, but not registered, I'd suggest its maybe been sold by a breeder when it was very young, so its probably registed with the KC, I don't know how much help they are, but you can try them. Obviously crossbreeds can be chipped, but usually that would be done by the owners and they'd get it registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

One of mine is IKC registered (chipped by breeder), I contacted the IKC to get her chip number and registration code - no go. Firstly, everything has to be submitted in writing (serious pain in the ass). And secondly, they don't have her 6 digit code (wtf?) because it's used to verify the chip, and is only used for registration, thus after they are registered they don't use it anymore.

I foster for a dog rescue, someone happened to be up at my house chipping dogs and I mentioned my frustration with the IKC regarding my own dogs chip. Because charities and rescues get in loads of dogs that are chipped, they can register them to the new owners for them (or to the rescue). I asked if I could get my dogs chip registered and it was no problem at all. So, she is now registered with the IKC and with the company the rescue uses. Perhaps contact a rescue and see if they could help you with re-registering your new pup. Also, I have heard from more than one source that FIDO are really easy to deal with so maybe contact them and see if they can help.

Lastly, registering a dog to your name is not breaking the law if you are the primary carer and you are the one taking responsibility for the dog. As far as I am aware, the licence holder for a dog is the "owner" and if you have already declared the dog a stray (and nobody has shown up after 5 days), you are good to go. Genuine owners would have contacted vets/garda stations/pounds etc. if they were looking for their pet. The obligitory 5 days serves 2 functions - to assess the dogs state (temperment and physical) and to give the owners time to show. If they don't show up during this period, it is presumed they are not going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

meisha wrote: »
    just thinking...i have a pup here whos chip is not registered im waiting on the IKC papers to arrive so i know her details like d.o.b ect as they need that for the chip details so maybe it wasnt the owners mistake??if my pup got lost now her chip is not registered to me yet,is it a pure breed pup?

We were the same when we were waiting for our papers - they took a few weeks to arrive. The vet said that they could give us a new code thou and a form to fill in if the code didn't arrive from the breeder so it is possible to re-register him without the original code/card

Lastly, registering a dog to your name is not breaking the law if you are the primary carer and you are the one taking responsibility for the dog. As far as I am aware, the licence holder for a dog is the "owner" and if you have already declared the dog a stray (and nobody has shown up after 5 days), you are good to go. Genuine owners would have contacted vets/garda stations/pounds etc. if they were looking for their pet. The obligitory 5 days serves 2 functions - to assess the dogs state (temperment and physical) and to give the owners time to show. If they don't show up during this period, it is presumed they are not going to.

The dog could have been stolen in another part of the country, so the owners may not be aware that the dog is being advertised as being found in a totally different area. It could also possibly have been stolen in the UK and brought over, but the chip number would be able to tell the OP if that was the case. Make sure it is an Irish chip, because maybe if its an overseas one, it is registered, just not showing on your vets system.

I thought that the law was you didn't own the dog until one year and one day after you found it unless it had done its 5 days at the pound.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    just not showing on your vets system.

I had a stray dog brought to me, the vets had scanned it and found a microchip but said it wasn't registered.......I scanned it and checked the database..............It was registered, and a contact number on it was MY OWN NUMBER due to the fact it was a dog rehomed by the SPCA I belong to who microchip, register and keep the SPCA details on it.

My point is Vets sometimes only check with Animark database or Fido database which do not show all microchips.

OP if you want to PM me the microchip number I will check it on the Central database who check ALL databases over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Contact Fido directly...they are great. We got our first dog chipped by an old country vet and never got a code...I was sure he put a cow chip in her ;) our new vet scanned her to make sure the chip worked and fido added her number and our details to their database no problems.
    Our second was registered on fido to her breeder so the code we hadn't worked for us to register. On contacting fido I mentioned the breeders name and all her details...they updated the info for us :) not sure if they contacted the breeder to confirm it first but they are Super friendly at fido :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shug Avery

Many Thanks Guys for all your help and replies :)
    I managed to contact Fido today so problem solved,

Cheers,

Shug :D

Shug Avery wrote: »
    Many Thanks Guys for all your help and replies :)
    I managed to contact Fido today so problem solved,

Cheers,

Shug :D

You can't leave us hanging like that, whats the story, did they have an owner registered for the dog?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

ISDW wrote: »
    I thought that the law was you didn't own the dog until one year and one day after you found it unless it had done its 5 days at the pound.

Yes ISDW, you're spot on!

OP, unless the dog has done its 5 days in a pound you don't legally own until it has gone unclaimed for 1 year and 1 day.
    Rescues/shelters are exempt from this, with co-operation of their local council pound...but the 1 year + 1 day day rule applies to any member of the public who takes in a stray...
    Assuming you notified the pound, I'm very surprised the dog warden didn't tell you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Sorry to bring the thread off topic, but i'm getting worried with all this talk of registering a chip. I got my pet microchipped last week but the vet never said anything about registering it. Do all microchips need to be or is it likely my vet done it for me? She did have a screen up with my details on it and she gave me a few copies of the microchip number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Always always always check yourself that the chip is registered and that the correct details are registered. The vet may have registered it but you do have to check, don't take the chance.

You wouldn't believe the amount of dogs we get with chips that haven't been registered.

when our two got chipped, the vet gave us a card to fill out and send in, whcih we did, maybe the vet did this for you? but i think i will check mine are done because we never got confirmation back that they received the details

When ever you (or your vet) register a microchip you will get confirmation that it is registered on the database either by a certificate in the post or email confirmation if you have registered it online.

Please check, a microchip is absolutely useless if it is not registered.:(

thanks for that - will dig out the stuff and make sure it's registered

• Advertisement

If anyone wants me to check their microchip is definitely registered, then please PM me the number.

Can I also put a reminder here.....

Many peoples only register a mobile number

If you have renewed your mobile phone, please update the details on the microchip database.

You would not believe how many pets are found with a microchip that is registered but the mobile phone is not in service. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just to clarify a couple of points. Your only obligation is to notify the Guards. You do not have to involve dog wardens or pounds. The dog does not become yours for one year but in the event of a ownership dispute it could come down to who had the dog license for the period when the dog went missing. If you find a dog & have any intention of keeping it I would get a license asap.

This system helps us in that any disreputable owner may be reluctant to go to the Guards.

What can be done if an individual sees a stray dog?

If an ordinary member of the public, not being a Garda or a warden, finds a dog which is a stray dog they may take possession and according to Section 13(1) “shall forthwith :-

return the dog to its owner, or
    deliver the dog to a dog warden, or
    detain the dog and give notice in writing containing a description of the dog, the address of the place where it was found and the address of the place where it is detained to the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station to the place where the dog was found, or to the dog warden.”

If an individual finds a dog may he/she keep him?

Yes, Section 13(1)(c) of the 1986 Act allows a person to keep a dog provided they:-

Give a notice to the local Gardai or dog warden containing the following information-
    I) A description of the dog,
    ii) A statement as to where the dog was found,
    iii) the dog’s new address.

B'witched wrote: »
    If anyone wants me to check their microchip is definitely registered, then please PM me the number.

B'witched just checked my details for me, and even though i sent the two in together - one had an extra digit in the phone number, will call them tomorrow to sort this - would urge all owners to check there's - thanks B'witched :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nessa

B'witched wrote: »

She also checked mine and was able to help me.

Cheers B'witched

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement