Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devin Townsend- 'Addicted'

• 03-11-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Anyone else waiting to get this? After hearing bits on youtube, I definitely want to be an upstanding citizen by buying this rather than downloading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guCqVBbh3iQ

Hope you enjoy this new version as much as I am right now, the guest vocalist is Anneke van Giersbergen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

The tracks sound brillant on this album. I found it difficult to warm to Ki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

I've heard the same from a friend of mine, he told me it wasn't worth buying. This new one sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

I really liked Ki (though still not a patch on Infinity!) and I'm looking forward to the next 3 albums

The 3rd of the new 4 is allegedly the heaviest stuff he's ever done (not sure if he's including SYL there) Is Addicted out yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Synchestra is one of my favourite albums, full stop. Ki was an utter disappointment to be honest. Devy Wevy Poo wasn't on his top game for that one... but listening to Addicted now and I'm blown away. Really upped the ante and made an absolute stormer of an album. Anyone who doesn't pick this up will be doing themselves an disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

After listening to that track and the others on youtube, it does sound like he is back on form.

Only 10 days to go to the release of the album now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Anything with Anneke on it is bound to be good. Amazing vocalist so she is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Have to say, after giving this a full run through, it is simply brilliant. A superb return to his best after Ziltoid.. and Ki. It encapsulates all the charming little nuances and idiosyncrasies that make Devin's music so wonderful and made albums such as Sychestra and Terria so absorbing. The sound is very dynamic and less mechanical sounding then Ziltoid... The guitar tone sometimes harks back to the Ocean Machine, Infinity sound. That really washy feel he creates like it's a wall of crushing sound. The re-recording of Hyperdrive with Anneke Van Giersbergen is simply beautiful as is every song with her on it. She adds an elegant and fascinating counterpoint to Devin's own often operatic, often harsh voice. Terrific. :)

Picked up Addicted and Them Crooked Vultures yesterday.

First listen to addicted got a big WOW out of me. So did the second listen, so did the third listen....

It is defo Townsend on the top of his game. Brilliant music played brilliantly.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Picked up Addicted and Them Crooked Vultures yesterday.

First listen to addicted got a big WOW out of me. So did the second listen, so did the third listen....

It is defo Townsend on the top of his game. Brilliant music played brilliantly.

It's out already?! I thought it wasn't out til the 17th... I assume that's the English release date as was the case with TCV, I didn't know that was out til today too ha! Back to town I go so...

Caco wrote: »
    It's out already?! I thought it wasn't out til the 17th... I assume that's the English release date as was the case with TCV, I didn't know that was out til today too ha! Back to town I go so...

yeah the Irish release dates are always the Friday before the English release date.

Maybe just give whatever is the nearest music store to you a buzz to make sure they have it in stock.

I got mine in Limerick and the guy at the counter said they only got two copies in. Mine being the last of that two.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    yeah the Irish release dates are always the Friday before the English release date.

Maybe just give whatever is the nearest music store to you a buzz to make sure they have it in stock.

I got mine in Limerick and the guy at the counter said they only got two copies in. Mine being the last of that two.

No luck, HMV said it was supposed to come in Friday but didn't in any store, Tower don't even have it on their system! Might call a few other places tomorrow!

No luck, HMV said it was supposed to come in Friday but didn't in any store, Tower don't even have it on their system! Might call a few other places tomorrow!

That's a bummer, hope you manage to find it in one of the shops tomorrow as it is well worth every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Have you checked the likes of Soundcellar or Sentinel if you're up in dublin ?

It just gets better and better with repeat listens. I gave it a little break last night to check out the newest Breed 77 album, but Addicted in back on now as I type and damn is it good. :D

One of the best albums this year quite easily for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

This was quite a pleasant surprise of an album for myself, I hadn't realised it was coming out & was totally caught up in Them Crooked Vultures fever up until I saw this thread.

So I went & got both albums, listened to TCV, Loved it & left Devin aside for a day or two. Gave it a spin a few days after & WOW!!!
    This is one cracker of an album & has been on repeat on my iPod just as much as TCV has, and this is coming from an unashamed Josh Homme fanboy.

If Ziltoid & Ki (or maybe just the skullit) put you off Devin then you need to check this one out, he's in fine form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sweet baby jesus of the devine intervention of Michaelangelo...

Just got this album a few days ago and I am blown away by it. A truely fantastic piece of work by Devin and Anneke's vocals work so well on it.

Where in the Dublin city centre would sell this? I couldn't find it in Tower Records a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Sound Cellar under Subway on Nassau Street would be your best bet

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Rockettmeister

Hmm maybe Tower will get it soon, I bought Ki from there.

This album is amazing btw, Devin is the very personification of underratedness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement