Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re: Suspect Fake product

Options
  • 03-11-2009 9:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭

I recently purchased something on-line. Upon receipt I suspect it is fake. I have emailed the seller but have not received a reply. The product is still for sale on their website. What should I do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

First you need to establish is it fake, what is it and why do you think it's fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was it via eBay or from a retailer website?

Be advised that there are a lot of website based in China, where prices seem to be very good, but are in essence flogging fakes or seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was it from eBay? They don't seem to give a damn once they get their money. Did you pay by credit card? Look into doing a chargeback, as you didn' get what you paid for. As said, tell us why you think it's fake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

No it's not from ebay...it is from an Irish website. Paid for it via Paypal.
    I dont want to give away too much detail as i am giving the seller a chance to reply/reimburse me or send a replacement.Perhaps a follow up mail?
    I have the same product bought in a local chemist and there is an obvious difference in the colour which makes me think it has been diluted.
    Also the bottle stop was not flush with the bottle when it arrived.
    The fact the supplier hasn't even acknowledged my email with an apology offering a replacement makes me even more suspicous....
    How could I prove it is fake? and if it is what do I do next?

Call them and tell them your problem, they should then resolve it, I wouldn't worry to much about the packaging, it can differ from store to store depending on supplier, if the product looks tampered with i'd be looking for a replacement or refund, but emails can me ignored, a phone call can solve a problem very quickly..

• Advertisement

Call them and tell them your problem, they should then resolve it, I wouldn't worry to much about the packaging, it can differ from store to store depending on supplier, if the product looks tampered with i'd be looking for a replacement or refund, but emails can me ignored, a phone call can solve a problem very quickly..

No contact number listed on the website...just email address.

No contact number listed on the website...just email address.

stick in the business name or company here and it should give you the details of the owner, then look them up in the phone book;)

http://www.cro.ie/search/

stick in the business name or company here and it should give you the details of the owner, then look them up in the phone book;)

http://www.cro.ie/search/

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can also search on Whois to find out who is the registered owner of the website.

dudara wrote: »
    You can also search on Whois to find out who is the registered owner of the website.
    Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    Be advised that there are a lot of website based in China, where prices seem to be very good, but are in essence flogging fakes or seconds.
    No it's not from ebay...it is from an Irish website. Paid for it via Paypal.
    Name them so others can be warned. This is going to become more common, I expect many are dropshipping from China i.e. they hold no stock, appear to be Irish so are supposedly more trustworthy, then when you order it is sent from China.

There was a recent thread where an irish site was mentioned, and the cheeky beggar who owned it came on to defend it, but only made an absolute fool of himself as we ripped him out of it, "genuine fakes" :rolleyes:.

they were www.stockslash.com thread is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055698985

Dont want to name seller just yet as it has only been a few days since I emailed them. Want to give them the benefit of the doubt as they have good feedback...however as time slips by I am losing faith! I can however confirm it is not StockSlash....dont worry, if I dont get a satisfactory outcome I will "name and shame"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Since you paid with Paypal, you should start a dispute on there. Give them a couple of days to respond, and if they don't, escalate to a claim. If that doesn't get a response in 10 days, Paypal auto-refund you.

Are they using their own domain, or a sub-domain of a free hosting site? So is it xyz.com or xyz.hostingcompany.com? If they're using a subdomain, then you can't ID them with Whois, it also means they're doing things on the real cheap, they're not a real company, and it's just someone selling from home (think eBay style).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Is it perfume? If so, you could bring it to a major stockist (e.g. Brown Thomas), or call the perfume company and arrange to post it to them and they'll give you written proof that it's a fake (if it is). You can then scan this in and send it to Paypal for a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1. Is it a Pharmacuetical or Food or Cosmetic ??

If A or B that is very serious if C you only risk a bit of a rash and your skin falling off .

2. Has the site withdrawn the product from sale now they know it is fake.

If yes that is a sign of good Bona Fides and if no they intend to scam someone else .

It is cosmetic and yes it is still on their website...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is it a perfume or a spray of some sort or is it a cream or tanning agent .

IF a perfume/spray there is the serious issue of revenue fraud to consider ....allied to which the Revenue is also tasked with Brand Counterfeit detection . I assume it is a well known EU manufactured cosmetic brand for the sake of simplicity . Duty should be paid on these goods when sold in Ireland .

Customs in Nenagh
    Contact Tel. (+353 67 63238)
    Fax (+353 67 32381)
    tariff@revenue.ie

Once they confirm it is counterfeit then Paypal will cough up in full .

Also contact a nearby customs section who would be interested EVEN if is not a perfume or scent .

International & Trade Security Branch,
    Customs Division,
    Government Offices,
    Nenagh,
    Co Tipperary.

Phone: +353 67 63330/63299.

customsinternational@revenue.ie

You should also read this

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/counterfeit-pirated-goods.html

The rights holders in this case would be ( for example only ) Lancome and customs can give you a contact in Lancome who whom they deal who can order off the same website and see what they get .

Sending out a counterfeit after you informed them the goods are counterfeit should help your case even further .

naming and shaming at this moment may persuade them to hide the loot from the revenue , if they sell one counterfeit they sell more so ask customs for email contacts in all rights holders sold on that site .

Ultimately counterfeit cosmetics are at best tacky and a rip off and at worst are downright dangerous and a rip off .

I would try to get them shut down systematically by the Revenue with arrests and confiscations , that would save others from getting rubbish for the christmas .

In future stick to a site like fragrance direct or get someone to buy it in Stansted for ya like I nearly always do for SWMBO :D

Advertisement