Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traktor Scracth Pro Vs CDJ's

• 03-11-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

After a while of saying I would, I've finally succumbed to the might of Traktor. Have it a few hours and can safely say I think I'll be playing with this......a lot. So here's what I'm thinking, as quite frankly, the cdj400's make for SH1T MIDI controllers......sell both of them, and get a good MIDI and soundcard or hold on to them and make do with a crap cheap MIDI. I reckon I'd get over €1000 for both, as I have them a year and a half and I bought them for €1600. Advice appreciated, thanks, Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'd say sell them, and your mixer (which I assume you have), and get the Allen + Heath xone4d. That way you won't waste the money on upgrading your midi equipment, which you more than likely would do eventually if you got something cheaper. It's also the best going as regards midi set-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

well after looking on adverts, I reckon ill get 1000 tops for the cdj's and 300 tops for the mixer.....so...the 4d is slightly out of my range. How do 1210's fare with Traktor? I'd be wary of buying a pair which aren't completely wrecked these days. That'd save me a good bit of cash too......how does it work on the "vinyl" though, can u still digitally drop in to a part of the tack at any stage r are u always on the headphones looking for it? Other midi suggestions welcome.....

Maybe you could try one of the cheaper A+Hs? Maybe 2 xone:1Ds and the mixer you have?

Little bit of internet searching tells me that most programs have two modes, one where you can only digitally search, and one where you can search digitally or using the vinyl. Don't take this as truth though as I've never used timecode vinyl. Just an afterthought is that I don't think I've ever seen a DJ using a timecode set-up in a club...MIDI set-up is defintely more common.

that's not a bad idea as I could get a cheap midi to bring around if I was playing out. €279 each on Thomann, so €558 for 2. Plus delivery and VAT is about €700. If I get €800-€1000 for the cdj's I'd be delighted......will be sad to see the end of them all the same......

Then you could use that couple hundred to upgrade your laptop/ get a better sound set-up/ buy 400 beatport tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The Xone 4D is savage but very pricy. The Xone:3d can be found cheaper now, also a great option. However the new Xone: DX is brand new: http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/allen-and-heath-xonedx--68596 comes with Serato itch but I'm sure it can map to traktor no problem.

The Xone 2D is a good option for Traktor and a lot cheaper
    http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/ALLEN+&+HEATH/Computer+DJ/XONE-2D/
    http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/UK/xone2d.asp

New Vestax TR1 looks great - was specifially designed for Traktor Pro.
    http://ci.vestax.com/en/products/tr1_01.html

The UC33 is a very cheap and popular option. http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/M-AUDIO/Computer+DJ/UC33/GoogleBase/ if you want to use it with a standard mixer

What's the difference between the 1D and the 2D? I can't see much, apart from that little bit at the side, so why is it twice the price?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

2D is an all-in-one complete controller. All you need is it and a laptop.

The Xone 1D *I think* was designed to be an add-on to the Xone 92 so you can add Midi Capability to your existing setup without having to go out and buy the 3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

fundamental question you need to answer :

do you really want a timecode setup?

If you don't you've lots of options. If you do, there are a lot less.

Just to be pedantic, timecode data isn't actually 'midi' at all (it's a completely different standard as far as i know).

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

new midi controller for traktor out early next year, looks promising, price isnt too bad either

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/42792-native-instruments-traktor-kontrol-x1-dj-performance-controller.html

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    fundamental question you need to answer :

do you really want a timecode setup?

If you don't you've lots of options. If you do, there are a lot less.

Just to be pedantic, timecode data isn't actually 'midi' at all (it's a completely different standard as far as i know).

Could you elaborate on the 'timecode' bit JT.....I have an idea what you are talking about, bt (as you know) I wouldn't be the type to be on the production forum etc. I just like my music and the simplicity of my cdj's. I presume you're talking about using vinylf for traktor though?

Anyone looking for cdj400's PM me by the way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah timecode is the data that the timecoded vinyl/cd's sends to the computer.

the reason i ask is because if you go the non-timecode route (people like Hawtin, Josh Wink, Dubfire, and chris liebing are proponents of this type of setup at the moment) it's A LOT cheaper and less hassle in general.

Timecode is more or less the same as mixing on vinyl but you have a laptop and special records so you can mix mp3's as if they were records. No more buying vinyl, but still the same tactile feel as maxing on turntables. It's a good transition for vinyl lovers who don't want to be 'button pushers'

Few are going this way now, more are going the controller route. A couple of years ago there were very few to choose from but now there are dozens. Few years ago the only real reliable software was Serato Scratch - and that was DVS, which is why it had such a big following - nowadays Traktor is very stable - but the beatgridding feature is pretty good so beatmatching has been taken out of the equaision (if you want to). Any midi controller is mappable to control what you want in traktor. Some are designed specifically for Traktor which is handy.

What kind of setup are you looking for?

Advertisement