Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone know da best slr lens ta buy?

• 03-11-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

rito so lately ive been lookin into buyin a 70-300mm lens for my canon 450D slr..

been getting told about all the differ brands but need some personal advice from people who have experience with the actual lenses am lookin into...

so any advice on which brands are best wit the 70-300mm lens would be greatly appreciated...:)
    tried out canons lens and loved it :D...that was before i found out the price:(..so dont tell me about realli expensive ones..cause they'll be stayin in my dreams for a while yet :mad:
    btw the lens is gooing to be used mainly for animals and children/portaiture shots, advice on the best shops to buy in would be great too, thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 G_1975

Hi

Not sure if I can give you much advice but I can share my experience. I wanted one lens that could do everything, go wide and close up. After reading lots of reviews I setteled on the canon ISM L 28-300mm. The one thing everyone said about it was that it was big and heavy. However since I was young and fit I didn't think that would be a problem.. Well I guess I was wrong. It's a real pain in the ass to carry around, heavy on the shoulder and requires small team to change lenses...

My advice, if you can afford it go for the canon 70-300 DO IS. The DO range are compact but have excellent image quality..

..but you should read the reviews on the likes of FredMiranda.com and bhphotovideo.com before you spend a lot of money..

Also you'll save a fortune if you can buy it in the states..

//G

• Registered Users Posts: 6 G_1975

okay so I didn't read your whole post sry!

btw I wouldn't buy any photo kit in Ireland you'll literally pay double.

//G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louthie flower

yup got adviced to get it from the states but unfortunately ive as much luck gettign it from mars as i do from there since ive no-one heading over on holidays and would be afraid it might possibly come in bad condition by post...

thanks for the advice..god i know bout the weight of them lenses, know a lad who has one like yours, i tried it on for a sec and then gave up haha but ill defo give them sites a look now thanks again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No one will take you seriously if you write on forums with your "da, der & wuds"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ok, I've raised the txt speak issue independently - no need to dwell on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

if money is a problem -and it probably is- the sigma 70-300 APO DG (I think) which I have, is pretty good for the price
    I think you can get it in argos. I got it online.

you could also try looking for a second hand one in adverts if you don't have a credit card (I am assuming there is a reason why you are not buying it online).

I think i took this with it

F1666C9C71E64784B38E25C6DE688E6F-500.jpg

He started out that ugly btw :D

ill change her for ya's now..sorry about the mis-use of text talk...too used to texting away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

You should consider the Tamron 18-270 which I use as an everyday lens on my own 450D. Got it here: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1784469/art/tamron/af-18-270mm-f-3-5-6-3-di.html, although it was a bit cheaper earlier in the year when I got mine.

wat do you use your lens for? just wondering what its best for ya know?

from lookin at your pic the sigma 70-300 APO DG is great! not by the beauty of that creature though :D haha thanks very much for showing it to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Lol, all those posts in the time it took me to put this together. Anyhoo, here is a bit more info for you.

Good review on the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-300mm-f-4.5-5.6-DO-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

I have used that site in the past before making final decisions on buying lenses.

Prices vary a fair bit so worth shopping around.

I'd recommend www.simplyelectronics.net or www.warehouseexpress.com
    I have used them both a lot over the last year and have not had any major issues. With SE you should be prepared for lengthy shipping times. Expect 10+ working days on most of the expensive stuff.

Either way, I'd rather not buy from retailers here as they are just too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

wat do you use your lens for? just wondering what its best for ya know?

I use the Tamron as an all rounder - it does close up stuff, portraits and it has a 15 zoom for farther away. Its not real heavy and won't give you a hernia. You can see pictures from it by clicking on the pix.ie link below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

sheesh wrote: »
    if money is a problem -and it probably is- the sigma 70-300 APO DG (I think) which I have, is pretty good for the price
    I think you can get it in argos. I got it online.

you could also try looking for a second hand one in adverts if you don't have a credit card (I am assuming there is a reason why you are not buying it online).

I think i took this with it

F1666C9C71E64784B38E25C6DE688E6F-500.jpg

He started out that ugly btw :D
    Seconded, I got this on adverts a while back for 100. Its a fantastic lens and well worth checking out.

Advertisement