Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photography courses?

• 03-11-2009 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

so am currently gettin my way through a photography PLC course but lookin into the follow on courses in colleges that i can move onto once my portfolio is complete...:D

emm just lookin for some advice from peeps who are possibly completing a photography course in either DIT or IADT?
    maybe ya's could tel me what the courses are like and which is best etc..
    am really interested in photography but have a passion for sketchin all sorts so if anyone knows of any courses that are enjoyable where you must sketch and use photography skills it would be great to hear from ya...:)

sorry for use of text talk..force of habit is a pain haha changed it for ya's though..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

so am currently gettin my way through a photography PLC course but lookin into the follow on courses in colleges dat i can move onto once my portfolio is complete...:D

emm just lookin for some advice from peeps who are possibly completing a photography course in either DIT or IADT?
    maybe ya's cud tel me wat da courses are like and which is best etc..
    am realli interested in photography but have a passion for sketchin all sorts so if anyone knows of any courses dat are enjoyable where u must sketch and use photography skills it wud be great to hear from ya...:)

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

DaireQuinlan, I don't know what part of that confused you :P

louthie, allow me to paste in a spiel I typed in another thread:
    The BA in DIT consists of a mixture of technical and theoretical stuff. There's a mixture of Art/photography history, technical classes (medium/large format, digital hasselblad, studio lighting), research studies and photo theory/criticism.

The whole of first year practical stuff is dedicated to black and white 35mm film, which gives you darkroom experience and forces you to think more about your work rather than firing off a million digital shots. Second year introduces medium format film and digital, with most projects focusing on digital techniques and photoshop skills. Third year branches off into different practices, with documentary/studio modules, an option to learn basic film editing, making a photobook, and an exhibition module. Fourth year has only three subjects: thesis, major practical project and portfolio. We've also has exhibition shows every year except first year and will have a graduate show at the end of this year. There's obviously essays and research projects to do for the theory classes, but they vary in theme and content.

We also had field trips to Paris in first year and Berlin in second, which were savage obviously!

My criticisms of the course are few but they are significant. Some of the people in my class complain that the technical training is inadequate, but the ones who struggle are the ones who only really use photoshop/lightroom etc when a project requires it. If you're actually interested in the subject, you'll be out shooting your own stuff outside college and you pick up a lot yourself. If not, yeah, you might struggle. We have pretty great facilities, and generally when there's a problem with technical stuff it gets fixed quickly enough, but you'll sometimes be waiting a week or so for equipment to get repaired. My main gripe is that we're boxed away in templebar by ourselves, so there's a real detatchment from the rest of the college and posters advertising events/rag week tend not to go up on our noticeboard. That might bother you and it might not. I do feel that I'm missing out by not being on a big campus, but that's not really a criticism of the course directly.

I'm in 4th (final) year and I'm still loving it. Finding the workload a bit heavy going though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Louthie, where are you doing your course? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

From what I gather, none of the 12 posts which are now removed are remotely helpful to the OP and if anything will only serve to dissuade the new user and others that may be lurking from joining in on this forum.

As posted on another thread the issue of txt speak has been raised with the OP and I trust is resolved at this point.

Please post here only if you have genuine advice that is being sought by the OP. If you can't understand his/her initial post then move along to read/reply to something else.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 louthie flower

umm...dundalk and am waitin for you to say you are too haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

I am indeed! haha..

Now the other question.. who are you!?

Advertisement