Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

misleading info???

• 03-11-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

hi guys, at the start of october i switched into a different course but before i switched into the new course i checked all the modules and the course layout on the UL website but when i got into the new course i found that the info was old, could i appeal to get myself moved into a new course? ive contacted the ulsu as well i would just like to know if anyone has ever heard of anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You could make a case but you couldn't make a legal one. Let's leave that aside, just remember that you're appealing on form rather than rules.

I suspect that the university's view was (or is or will be) that you've been in course 1 in September, then switched into course 2 in October and you really should have done your research by going and verifying the course content given that you had the opportunity to ask the course leader or department head before doing so rather than merely checking the website which has an overriding disclaimer that information may be out of date and that course content is subject to change rather than switching into course 3 at the beginning of November. Which I doubt they'll support.

Then again, that's just my view on what they'd say. Devils advocate etc. That's far more relevant than my view on what I'd say as they're going to be the ones making the decision.

What did the SU education officer say? Because the advice you'll get from there on this matter should be pretty authoritative. The current education officer is very competent and doesn't BS people. If it coincides with what's above, then it is authoritative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thanks for the reply, she has not replied yet but i only sent her the e-mail a few minutes ago... in order to switch course i had to get a form signed by the course leader i wanted to go into and he never informed me that the info was out of date i never even thought of asking him unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

To be honest it's not his duty to outline the course to you unless you ask him to. I'd imagine if you'd checked the Lecture Notes on the student portal or else on Sulis there would have been a course outline of your new course.

Unfortunately for you I'm in agreement with Sceptre in saying its highly unlikely you'll get a third move. I doubt highly the University would be tolerant of to-ing and fro-ing between courses.

In any case, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

To be honest I have to agree with the others here.
    You should have done the research more thoroughly before transferring courses.
    The Prospectus for this year would have been up-to-date and afaik are available from SAA or the SU.

I wish you luck with your endeavour, but I dont know how successful it'll be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's crappy and honestly I've got lots of sympathy for you. But they'll reasonably point out that in a strict fault sense, it was your job to check that.

See what the SU Ed officer has to say. I reckon you're probably out of luck as going in a second time just makes you look indecisive about whether you want to be there at all (and you know, that's not my view but it's the way they'll view it). But you might get a better option from there. it depends what department you're dealing with, how many modules you'd have to change (if you'd have to change all of them you can pretty much forget it) and you'll get a better answer by chatting to the SU (or a trusted staff member if you had one) and seeing what's reasonably practical and acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Long story short. You started in one course, moved into another and now want to move into a third... No... just no.

Time to shut it down OP. Take a year out and clear your head so you know what you want. This is a university, not a pick and mix stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Jesus templar knight you need to sit down and think and research your choices more.Im in l.i.t but often wonder into u.l forum often find good info here:).But going by your other recent posts you were in l.i.t,then asked about going to the art college,asking about doing arts in mary i,then changing courses in u.l for a 2nd time,asking about acess grants for "extra points" and weird but scary looking for 50 cent aftershave lol
    Maybe your just still in 4th or 5 th year so research your choices...

Jesus templar knight you need to sit down and think and research your choices more.Im in l.i.t but often wonder into u.l forum often find good info here:).But going by your other recent posts you were in l.i.t,then asked about going to the art college,asking about doing arts in mary i,then changing courses in u.l for a 2nd time,asking about acess grants for "extra points" and weird but scary looking for 50 cent aftershave lol
    Maybe your just still in 4th or 5 th year so research your choices...

how about you stop stalking me and mind your own business and get a life please! if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all you little weirdo! and whats wrong with trying to gather information from people isn't that one of the reasons boards is here for?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

how about you stop stalking me and mind your own business and get a life please! if you have nothing good to say don't say it at all you little weirdo! and whats wrong with trying to gather information from people isn't that one of the reasons boards is here for?

i know loads of ppl who have gone into many courses and said no and if you were misled by old information its definatly not a cause for someone to have a go at you-

have you trie emailing a lecture based on the courses you might be interested in for there own take on the course outline i found that the lecturers were best at explaining a future module in terms that helped me actually go about researching them and finding out about them

best help i can give

its a pity they are not working out for you

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

He's only trying to help.

Please don't call people 'little weirdos' it's against the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Templar id like to see a person to get on,i looked at your other posts to see could i give you advice on l.i.t..I took a year out and im glad i did,all im saying you sound a bit unsure and annoyed at the system(which i know is very hard to get info)...i hope you get the course you want to do:)

Templar id like to see a person to get on,i looked at your other posts to see could i give you advice on l.i.t..I took a year out and im glad i did,all im saying you sound a bit unsure and annoyed at the system(which i know is very hard to get info)...i hope you get the course you want to do:)

well then my apologies i thought you were having a go at me sorry ha

Advertisement