Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prawn cocktail

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Need to make a prawn cocktail
    starter (retro, i know) but Im a total dunce when it comes to shellfish.
    I picked up a packet of shelled, cooked ones (not frozen), do I need to anything to them before I add them to the sauce? Also, they seem a touch small, would something bigger like king prawns be better to use?
    Any advice appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

No, they should be grand. Just make sure they are defrosted properly and no harm in giving them a rinse.

However you could jazz up your cocktail sauce rather than just mayo and ketchup. Maybe some others would have sugestions?

I've heard of wochester sauce and brandy being added before. Worth a google.

Edit: link to delia's 1960's retro recipie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Swampy wrote: »
    No, they should be grand. Just make sure they are defrosted properly and no harm in giving them a rinse.

However you could jazz up your cocktail sauce rather than just mayo and ketchup. Maybe some others would have sugestions?

I've heard of wochester sauce and brandy being added before. Worth a google.

Edit: link to delia's 1960's retro recipie

Yup, I usually add a drop of brandy, some lemon juice and tobasco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Legends! Yeah Im gonna lash in some paprika and whatnot, as long as i dont give anyone food poisoning ill be happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ooo - I love prawn cocktail.

I use a mix of Heinz salad cream (nice zing), Hellmans mayo (for the creamy texture), tomato puree, worchester sauce and lemon juice. And serve it with iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and a small bit of spring onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

1. Fresh cream - whipped
    2. Tomato ketchup
    3. Lea & perrins garlic sauce
    Mix (by hand - you don't want to make cream too thick) ketchup to cream to get color and taste right then add the garlic sauce to your own taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

Hey,

If the prawns are raw, you might need to cook them first till they're pink. If I've forgotten to leave them out overnight to defrost, I put them in a dish with boiling water which usually cooks them at the same time, and the water rinses off some of the strong fishy taste which some ppl dont like. Otherwise leave overnight...not sure how to cook prawns, possibly boil for a few seconds in hot water till pink?

for the sauce - mayo, ketchup (till it turns pink), dash of worcestor, tabasco and paprika, serve prawns on a bed of lettuce (in wine glasses looks great) topped with a small handful of prawns per person a gloop of sauce and lemon wedges. sprinkle with extra paprika....best part of christmas i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Am I the only one who has been cleaning out the prawns? I thought they all had a little black/brown line in them, I was told it was their pooh but can't confirm that :D I'm talking about the little plastic tub you can buy in the likes of tesco, most of them have the black brown line in them which I slice out with a knife and give them all a good wash.

My sauce I throw in whipped fresh cream, mayo, ketchup, tabasco sauce, worchester sauce. I like it to have a bit of a kick so tasting while adding more and more tabasco sauce is my trick.

Serving it in a wine glass on a bed of lettuce with a wedge of lemon finishes it off nicely.

Advertisement