Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail Super-Sub

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Fianna Fail rolled out its Super-Sub Michael McGrath TD on RTE Prime Time tonight. He performed well and and looked like he knew what he was talking about. Is this Fianna Fail Nua !!!!!. Move over old FF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

koura wrote: »
    Fianna Fail rolled out its Super-Sub Michael McGrath TD on RTE Prime Time tonight. He performed well and and looked like he knew what he was talking about. Is this Fianna Fail Nua !!!!!. Move over old FF.

I don't know what drugs you are on, but can you please tell me where I can get some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

He looked and sounded well :). But, I also thought he had'nt a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

He looked and sounded well :). But, I also thought he had'nt a clue.

+1;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to correct forum. Play nicely children. (i.e. more of the third post in this thread and less of the second please)

Haven't seen it... Care to give a breakdown or paraphrase of what was said?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Is this the same guy from Cork South Central. Seems to be on the air alot more recently, pretty good considering he was only first elected 2 years ago. Seems able but he is a FF er so... no he wont be getting my vote, but I think he will sneak it in the next GE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Is this the young TD from Cork who was calling for a faster and more transparent asylum system a few weeks ago? If so, he is a competent speaker who knows his brief.

He's the young TD from Cork South Central all right: http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/michael-mcgrath/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

nesf wrote: »
    He's the young TD from Cork South Central all right: http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/michael-mcgrath/

He is vice chairman of the Oireachtas Finance commitee, hence his appearance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Haven't seen it... Care to give a breakdown or paraphrase of what was said?

If you get the time/opportunity, can be viewed here: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1059229

• Advertisement

Ok, watched it. He did well enough given he was put in a 3 vs 1 debate. Not the easiest of tasks to throw on a new TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok, watched it. He did well enough given he was put in a 3 vs 1 debate. Not the easiest of tasks to throw on a new TD.

What do you reckon he should be given a year or so to get the hank of things, a bit like was stated about Lenihan when he took over ?
    If he is vice chair of that committee, then he f**kin well should know what he is talkin about and he should damm well know the ins and outs of the biggest piece of economic legislation that his givernment are trying to foist on us.

Some of us seem to be fallin over ourselves when a TD has a bit of clue and appear to be presentabe and able to string a few coherent sentences together.

That shouldn't be something to be congratulating him on, it should be the norm and be what is damm well expected.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    What do you reckon he should be given a year or so to get the hank of things, a bit like was stated about Lenihan when he took over ?
    If he is vice chair of that committee, then he f**kin well should know what he is talkin about and he should damm well know the ins and outs of the biggest piece of economic legislation that his givernment are trying to foist on us.

Some of us seem to be fallin over ourselves when a TD has a bit of clue and appear to be presentabe and able to string a few coherent sentences together.

That shouldn't be something to be congratulating him on, it should be the norm and be what is damm well expected.

As much as I would love to be able to say that the average guy who is elected is able, they aren't. I genuinely wish that the average TD was of such a level that McGrath looked average but he didn't mores the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

New FF? Don't think so. Our buddy McGrath has been involved in 'questionable' planning activities so is old school to the core I'm guessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

He surely was able to stand by his views, but i couldn't avoid thinking that he was defending NAMA just because it is his job. But he actually didn't believe in his own arguments, they were just the best ones he could come out with.

New FF? Don't think so. Our buddy McGrath has been involved in 'questionable' planning activities so is old school to the core I'm guessing...

If you're going to claim something like that please provide evidence for such. If you don't provide evidence I'll delete your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If you're going to claim something like that please provide evidence for such. If you don't provide evidence I'll delete your post.
    Controversial rezonings in Cork

The greenbelt area around Cork city has been opened up for development, in defiance of the local senior planner and An Bord Pleanála....

......One of the major beneficiaries of this is Castlelands Construction, owned by Mallow businessman, John Barry, who plans to build hundreds of houses and apartments in the Bishopstown area......

....suggestions that there may have been a conflict of interest involved in this initiative......

The elected members of the Carrigaline area committee of Cork County Council voted in favour of the new roundabout at Garrendarragh, Bishopstown in July 2006 to service a proposed new private hospital, as well as a park-and-ride facility and a new cemetery.
    The decision opened up for development the lands owned by Castlelands Construction. The roundabout proposal was vigorously opposed by the senior planner in the county, Nicholas Mansergh (brother of the Fianna Fáil Senator, Martin Mansergh).
    Mansergh had also opposed the application for the hospital development stating the application was grossly excessive and three times larger than the plan originally submitted for the hospital
    An Bord Pleanála also had refused permission for the roundabout and a proposed access road on safety grounds. It did so because it said this would cause traffic congestion on an already busy stretch of road, close to the existing Bandon roundabout......

....However, he says that the real motivation behind the proposal was to facilitate the plans of Castlelands Construction on lands with an estimated value of €100m."I hold that the green belt in Bishopstown is sacrosanct," Canty told Village. "But the members of the committee gave the go-ahead for the roundabout because of the hospital, the park-and-ride and the cemetery access. These may have been red herrings as there are a lot of developers with their eyes on the green belt and this could open it up between Bishopstown and Ballincollig. Castlelands are the main beneficiaries of this decision. Planning in the county has gone crazy over the past few years." ......

.......The roundabout proposal was proposed to the area committee by Fianna Fáil councillors, Michael McGrath and Mark O'Keefe

Perfect Padraig, thank you. Only thing is to in future link to the actual article so others can check your sources independently. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a leapord does not change its spots, new fianna fail someone said, nah just the same fianna fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Thanks for the replies, especially the low down from Padraig Mor.
    I still think he's a big improvement on the likes of O'Donovan, O'Dea. O'Keefe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement