Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panning, what settings?

• 03-11-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

I tried to pan a Car for the 1st time and couldn't get it right.
    When I tried a long exposure too much light was getting in and if I increased the shutter speed I was getting no motion blur behind the Car.
    Basically I needed less light getting in!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Was this during the day/evening/night time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Use shutter priority and get the slowest shutter speed you can manage while not letting the aperture get smaller than f/11 or at a push f/16 if you're shooting a crop body, or f/16 f/22 if you're shooting fullframe. Lower your iso as much as you can. If you still can't get slow enough shutter speeds (which certainly might be the case during even a moderately sunny day) then you'll have to start thinking about ND filters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Using shutter priority mode, start at 1/125th and work your way down.

Varies depending on light available, the trajectory and speed of the car. Your body stance is very important too, best to stand with your feet a shoulders width apart and pivot using your upper torso but thats down to personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

panning a car is mainly about moving camera at the same speed as the car (while you photo) ...... it ALWAYS takes time to get it right....of course if its dusk/dark .... a flash adds extra kick to the photo

or what the two lads mentioned above me .... they know more about it than me.

Ps. have you seen Paddy@CIrl's work - fantastic car shots - definately knows his stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Daytime, was nothing serious, in the Phoenix Park.

Guys seem to have given good advice. I reckon you should be able to easily get a shutter speed of between 1/30 and 1/60 with an aperture above f11 (ISO at about 100/200). Depends on the day obviously. I'd ignore flash for now. And make sure VR/IS is turned off. Sometimes it can act a bit odd. Then just do the biz.

1 tip though, I find keeping your other eye open helps a hell of a lot if you can get used to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

if ya wanna reduce the light... increase the ap no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Hah! My mistake appears to be I kept the F number low, F4, I assumed for background blur I needed it low.
    and I had IS on, was the 24-105L
    :o

The panning will take care of the blur ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Hah! My mistake appears to be I kept the F number low, F4, I assumed for background blur I needed it low.
    and I had IS on, was the 24-105L
    :o

Would I be right in thinking that DOF decreases with longer shutter speeds??

And as said above, the blur is all motion, no dof needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Stee wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that DOF decreases with longer shutter speeds??

shutter speed does not influende dof

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

As others have said start at around 1/100 and work your way down youll be able to tell how far you can push it as the car/bike/animal wont be sharp or as sharp. best thing is just to go out and do it over and over youll get bad ones and good ones to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Stee wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that DOF decreases with longer shutter speeds?

Nope, DOF decreases as you open up the aperture. IE going from f/5.6 -> f/1.4 (say) will cut your DOF quite significantly. Now, all thing else remaining equal, to keep your exposure the same you have to compensate, by -reducing- your shutter speed in this instance by the equivalent 5 stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Nope, DOF decreases as you open up the aperture. IE going from f/5.6 -> f/1.4 (say) will cut your DOF quite significantly. Now, all thing else remaining equal, to keep your exposure the same you have to compensate, by -reducing- your shutter speed in this instance by the equivalent 5 stops.

I rarely shoot macro/portrait, but for some reason I was under the impression that shutter speed had some influence. I knew it was all about the aperature, but I'm almost sure I read somewhere online that faster shutter speeds makes for shallower Dof. Time to dust off the 50 1.8 and actually try taking some pics with it rather than read dodgy info about taking pics.

Advertisement