Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some feedback on this short short video...

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

1st time editing and filming a piece of video...it was produced for college as a promotion video for the business school. Its my 1st time ever filming or editing video. Just wondering if you have the time could you please view it and leave some feedback? As much or as little or as vauge or as detailed as you like would be hugley appreciated.

Below is the video's link for youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLk40IlNxo

Cheers,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Haha very good. The humour is excellent and the point is put across really well in a short time. Well done for a first attempt that is amazing. The entry to the college is spot on, and the transition to all the other events and enjoyment of the course is put across v.well.

The comedy timing is good, and the use of music really makes it that much better. Great work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Hey, nice work for a first go.
    You should resist the temptation to use so many different transition effects. Its very common that when you first start editing, you see all these effects and decide to use a load of them. But less is more in this case. The flip transition you use for the airplane to airport works as its also conveying the passing of time but you use lots of other effects just for the sake of it in my opinion.
    See how the simple 'cut' transition from the presentation section back to the evolution image sits better than all the fade from black type transitions you use on all the previous ones. And all those diamond transitions are a bit naff - in my opinion! You rarely ever use those as an editor.

Some of your cuts need tidying up too. the 1st time you show your evolution image it fades out then fades back in just before the 'Discover..' title.
    The title - 'But have you seen DCU's...' is halfway through dissolving before you go to that white transition. The walking out of the airport shot needs to cut before that woman walks into shot from the right. Stuff like that, which will just tidy up the piece a bit.

Good work anyway, I thought you might prefer some actual critique instead of just 'good work' though! ;)
    There's no right and wrong here, just opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

What was said above and then.....

Centre your titles. I was expecting more text below your first title after "......." Rule of thirds applies to virtually everything on screen.

Clean your lense! Nothing worse than a dirty lense to completely ruin, even the best of camera work.

Use a tripod. There was no need to go hand held in much of that video and it just made it look more amateur than Im sure you wanted it to look.

Work on matching your shots and making them as different to the pre/proceeding shot. The sequence outside "Invent" just looked like a jump cut/bad edit.

Keep it up. You'll get better with more practice and fair play for posting it here for feedback.

Advertisement