Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon v Liverpool (part one of a play in three acts) [Mod Warning Post #1 & Post #506]

• 03-11-2009 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The squad is known, the script isn't written - it could be a tragi-farce, the conclusion of which is known after Act One or it could be a thumping thriller with an edge of the seat climax (3 of them in fact).

Liverpool squad: Reina, Cavalieri, Carragher, Ayala, Darby, Insua, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Kuyt, Lucas, Benayoun, Aquilani, Babel, Mascherano, Spearing, Plessis, Ngog, Voronin, Torres.

Lyon are suffering a bit as well with their first choice CBs missing and some off field distractions such as Sidney Govou falling down drunk on the razz last week and near fisty-cuffs between the manager and Jeremy Toulalan after thier defeat of St Etienne.

MOD WARNING
    Posts about tonights game only in this thread, anything else will be off-topic and will be infracted accordingly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62853344&postcount=506

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

werent lyon missing their fist choice CB's at anfield ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As I said in the main Liverpool thread, I am feeling very positive about this game, despite the missing players.

I just think that this is a game that will see a string reaction from the squad and a good performance.

I see one of two unlikely heroes in this one, and either a win by 2 goals to nil, or three goals to one. For Liverpool of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Oh i'll be hiding like the bitch that I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Liverpool , terrible result at the weekend, pressure on Rafa again, playing a good Lyon team, only one result imo. lump on Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    werent lyon missing their fist choice CB's at anfield ?

possibly. i was there and all, but i don't remember.

either way, it should still be something we can maybe exploit. N'Gog did well against them at Anfield. 60mins of Nando may well give us a shot at nicking something. plus a fresh N'Gog after that.

i'd worry about our use of the ball over there, as lyon can pass the ball very well and have some very technically astute players.

we need to be up for it, at them from the start, and we need the likes of lucas and benny in form to give Torres some ammunition.

i'm not very confident, but i'm also not hopeless. i honestly don't think we'll lose. that's not enough really, i know, but that's all i'm relatively confident of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

liverpool to win 2-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I like to see em do well, but Liverpool worry me.

Please don't damage el Niño for The World Cup.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Please don't damage el Niño for The World Cup.

you damaged him first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tough one to call, we should see a reaction from Liverpool, if Torres plays i'd go for pool to nic it, if not I fancy lyon to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Liverpool to win it by 2 goals. All to be right in the world again, then Birmingham to get a result at Anfield next Monday.

Such is the way things are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

help me obi aqui lani you're my only hope

mayordenis wrote: »
    help me obi aqui lani you're my only hope

aquaman...

aquaduct...

now obi aqui lani...

the poor man needs a proper nickname ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Kess73 wrote: »
    I see one of two unlikely heroes in this one

Who are you referring to?

MR NINE wrote: »
    Who are you referring to?

Just have a feeling that Lucas or Voronin will have a major part to play in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

From a Manchester United and Bohemians fan....

A champions league without Torres will be a sad affair. Heres hoping he can turn it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liverpool backs to the wall, decimated by injuries, Rafa under massive massive pressure = the usual big performance against all the odds and 3 points for Liverpool.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind they'll win and convincingly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have a feeling Liverpool will win this one

Dont think it will end in draw.

First goal will be massive in this one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

flahavaj wrote: »
    Liverpool backs to the wall, decimated by injuries, Rafa under massive massive pressure = the usual big performance against all the odds and 3 points for Liverpool.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind they'll win and convincingly too.

I think he's been 'to the well' once too often on these 3 game miracles.
    I think this is the year it doesn't work. :(

Also theres a decent enough chance (assuming we do win our last 3 games) that three teams will end up on 12 points so not just victories but convincing victories might be needed.

Also theres a decent enough chance (assuming we do win our last 3 games) that three teams will end up on 12 points so not just victories but convincing victories might be needed.

They mightn't get what they need to qualify in the two games after but they'll win handily tomorrow. Lyon are no world beaters and have their own problems with player discipline and a few injuries as well.

Aye we'll have to beat either Fiorentina by more than 2 goals or Lyon by more than 1,
    It's not down to goal difference but head to head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You all seem very confident in a team that has lost 6 of its last 7 games and is missing their best player.

ShaneU wrote: »
    You all seem very confident in a team that has lost 6 of its last 7 games and is missing their best player.

I don't see too many people who are very confident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

0-0

ShaneU wrote: »

Thats the only way they seem to produce these days though, when all seems impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

im feeling confident about this one... 2-0 to us i think.. kuyt and benayoun will be the key players aside from torres of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mayordenis wrote: »
    Aye we'll have to beat either Fiorentina by more than 2 goals or Lyon by more than 1,
    It's not down to goal difference but head to head.

This isn't quite true in a '3way head to head'.
    If we beat Lyon 1-0 and Fiorentina 1-0 we'd have a losing head to head against both of them but could still qualify.

If Fiorentina beat Lyons by say 3-0 then Lyons would be eliminated because they'd have the worst 3way record.

This isn't quite true in a '3way head to head'.
    If we beat Lyon 1-0 and Fiorentina 1-0 we'd have a losing head to head against both of them but could still qualify.

If Fiorentina beat Lyons by say 3-0 then Lyons would be eliminated because they'd have the worst 3way record.

Really? It goes into a Ménage à trois, that makes sense I guess but seems overly complicated.
    Anyway focus on 3 points from each of the 3 games and we'll have a fairly tasty chance of making it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

would be interesting to see the odds on this game

either way i see a draw here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I hope we win tonight and start a recovery on all fronts , its tough being a Liverpool FC supporter right now , YNWA ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Well, I believe I am being optimistic in saying this so I am going to go with the same prediction for the previous game against Lyon and say 2-2. Liverpool are way too dodgy in defense. I am confident Torres will do some damage at the other end even he only plays for an hour. Masherano will have to boss the centre of the pitch and close down players like a man possessed to make up for our shambolic mistake ridden defense of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lyon have plenty of problems themselves with injuries and indiscipline at the moment so tbh, if Liverpool cant get a result there I will be very surprised

And of course as a united fan, i really dont want there to be any more pressure Benitez so come on! dig one out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

kryogen wrote: »
    Lyon have plenty of problems themselves with injuries and indiscipline at the moment so tbh, if Liverpool cant get a result there I will be very surprised

And of course as a united fan, i really dont want there to be any more pressure Benitez so come on! dig one out!

If I was a United fan I wouldn't want Rafa to stay. If he does go (which is highly unlikely, regardless of tomorrow's result) you will see how he has managed to do such a good job with such a limited squad available. I have no doubt Liverpool would decline if Rafa left unless they got in a top 20 manager a la Hiddink, Mourinho, Capello etc which is hugely unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

magma69 wrote: »
    If I was a United fan I wouldn't want Rafa to stay. If he does go (which is highly unlikely, regardless of tomorrow's result) you will see how he has managed to do such a good job with such a limited squad available. I have no doubt Liverpool would decline if Rafa left unless they got in a top 20 manager a la Hiddink, Mourinho, Capello etc which is hugely unlikely.

Agree - unless the new manager got money to spend, they would be hard pressed to do better over the last few years.

If you look at the complete overhaul of the youth system and investment in it, spending small money on potential stars (Pacheco, Ngog, Insua, Gulacsi, Bouzenis, Ayala, Nemeth, Eccleston, Dalla Valle, Buchtmann, Amoo) - I would expect that at least 3 or 4 of those will saves us many millions in transfer fees, and many of the others will result in significant fees in.

He was intrumental is making us more professional and more business-minded, and in getting rid of Parry. We have already seen the impact of this with the Standard Chartered deal.

Perhaps a new manager and some fresh blood would help, but as I see it, he is building a legacy and a basis for success. If that means 1 bad year in 5, then so be it.

Last night Liverpool were 9/4 on betfair to win.

Seems to be alot of confidence on the thread that Liverpool will win. I think it will be a tense and tight affair and either a 1-0 to either team or 1-1.

We seem to always win when we really need to especially in CL but Gerrard is usually instrumental in those must-win games.

Torres is the man for the big games but I have an inkling Kuyt may be the difference tonight.

2-1 liverpool with benni to score the winner

I wonder what position he'll be playing ?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    2-1 liverpool with benni to score the winner

I wonder what position he'll be playing ?

Good question, on the left, right or behind Torres. Depends on who's fit and if Aquaman/duct starts.

It will be an interesting lineup.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Good question, on the left, right or behind Torres. Depends on who's fit and if Aquaman/duct starts.

if he plays in the middle liverpool will win for sure i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just have a feeling that Lucas or Voronin will have a major part to play in the game.

Man, thanks for that. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

rarnes1 wrote: »

can't see aqua starting, only a 15 mins cameo and then a virus, at best you will see him for last 20 mins.

Ardent wrote: »
    Man, thanks for that. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

It is not the same as saying I think they are good enough for the club, it just means I think one or the other may play an unexpected part in getting a win tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Honestly don't know what to expect from tonight.............

So all I can say is

COME ON YOU REDMEN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No idea how tonight will turn out. Lyon showed that they are a capable team but we should have enough to beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't care who wins but I hope Liverpool get knocked out of Europe tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

RasTa wrote: »
    Don't care who wins but I hope Liverpool get knocked out of Europe tonight.

So you hope Lyon win?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

1-2 to pool i hope but i'd say it will be a draw...

Something tells me that reina will have to make a few world class saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I can't see any result other than a Liverpool win. I won't be too surprised if they annihilate Lyon.

They just seem to have the knack in Europe when they're backs are to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

In a strange way, Liverpool lose tonight and they are out, and get to blame the lack of stength in dept in the squad, and Benitez takes a months stick for it and speculation on his future will be talked about even more by everyone.
    Win tonight and he gets one (or two depending on results) of the blockbuster week long build up to matchs to come, with more scrutiny and speculation.
    Just shows the pressures of modern football and all its media hype and financial burdens oh well.

Back on topic, I hope that Gouvu had the same sort of staggering performance he did at the weekend and that Liverpool can grind out one of the most appalling, unwatchable and disgusting 1-2 victories of all time. Dont think they will be solid enough to keep a clean sheet, but I think maybe 2 goals are in the team, especially when Kuyt seems to save his European goals for the matchs when Liverpool need them most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Scrappy game with Kuyt to get a scruffy winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Going to go for a Lyon win, think it will be high scoring, maybe 3-2.

Fans to focus more on Ronnie Whelan than Rafa and the actual game after the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

nummnutts wrote: »
    I can't see any result other than a Liverpool win. I won't be too surprised if they annihilate Lyon.

They just seem to have the knack in Europe when they're backs are to the wall.

Was it not more or less the same situation in the first tie though? and they were at home, i do know what you mean though.

I'm looking forward to this match tonight, hoping for a Liverpool win, the pressure on these 3 Champions League fixtures is immense though.

It will be a difficult game, be it Lyon making it difficult, or Liverpool making it difficult for themselves, I can see a Liverpool win though with a stroke of luck along the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement