Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon v Liverpool (part one of a play in three acts) [Mod Warning Post #1 & Post #506]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Last thing I'll say on this;

Why should I have to take this tribalistic BS on the chin? It's nothing new and I'm tired of it tbh.

Liverpool fans celebrated the Babel goal, are you going to tell me that those who celebrated the equaliser are Lyon fans? That's beside the point anyway, as I said, people are entitled to celebrate, I just don't care for when it's done in a low brow tribalistic manner.

Fine to you, not to me. I don't celebrate goals against Man U, Chelsea etc etc with one word replies. I think about it and give maybe a one or two line reply. Not a one word or a smilie only reply. It adds nothing and is just seen as inflammatory IMO.

Maybe I'm just boring I don't know or maybe it's because I have too much respect, even if that respect is not mutual.

Jeez - it's only a game.

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know why Aquaman didn't make an appearance?

Were you watching the match, or re-runs of Entourage?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

flahavaj wrote: »
    Surely Kyrgiakos in particular was more at fault than Mascherano?
    what Im saying is that Souness was always there. Masherano is a bit of Glen Whelan. He is very effective at what he does We need him to be our second Gerrard. I'm not looking for scapegoats but we didnt boss the midifield enough. Ill say it again. We need need teams to be afraid of us. We sat back on that lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

nuxxx wrote: »
    Whealan really rubbing it in

He really does have it in for Rafa doesn't he? He can barely contain himself.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Trilla wrote: »
    Ah sometimes people have a laugh or a go, or even show their disappointment when certain teams produce/fail
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62639818&postcount=85

I was merely dissapointed not spewing factual nonsense.

For Warper -
    Liverpool 5 times European Cup winners
    Liverpool 3 times UEFA Cup winners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

liverpool 7/1 favourites for the europa league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Voronin and Kyrgiakos were both shocking tonight.

It's a shame we have to resort to playing the likes of them (a free transfer and 2 million pound signing, respectively) in a must-win CL game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Were you watching the match, or re-runs of Entourage?!

Cheap laugh:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

Enough is enough. I tell you what the problem is. We were missing someone in midfield to get stuck in. A Sounness to put in the hard tackles. We were 1-0 up and yet we invited Lyon back unto us. Teams need to start being afraid of us again. We are holding back. Doubt has taken over.

kinda agree with the getting stuck in.... Masc and Lucas break up a lot of the play but there is NO creativity from either of them.... to be honest i don't think they protected the back four enough tonight...don't think Kuyt protected Carra enough either...

haven't the squad..... haven't the players... do i blame the manager for this - no. he's needs prob 3 more £20m rated players to compete for the league.... but he's not gonna get it..... all the haters will be out tonight listening to that muck on RTE.... did rafa sleep with Ronnie Whelan's wife or something? he's givin him some abuse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He really does have it in for Rafa doesn't he? He can barely contain himself.:eek:

He can't even speak properly. What's he doing on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fine to you, not to me. I don't celebrate goals against Man U, Chelsea etc etc with one word replies. I think about it and give maybe a one or two line reply. Not a one word or a smilie only reply. It adds nothing and is just seen as inflammatory IMO.

Maybe I'm just boring I don't know or maybe it's because I have too much respect, even if that respect is not mutual.

Do you chastise Liverpool fans for this also? Think you missed a few during the United/Pool match...

Shocking defending for that equaliser, shocking

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sponging up my license fee money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

liverpool 7/1 favourites for the europa league

Brilliant!

They'll have to win it to qualify for it next year though :D

what Im saying is that Souness was always there. Masherano is a bit of Glen Whelan. He is very effective at what he does We need him to be our second Gerrard. I'm not looking for scapegoats but we didnt boss the midifield enough. Ill say it again. We need need teams to be afraid of us. We sat back on that lead.

How would Souness being on the pitch have made Kyrgiakos any more au fait with the basics of defending though?

You're stuck in the past mate.

As for the Glenn Whelan jibe, I hope all the usuals on here defend Mascherano with the same vehemance that they would if the likes of ntlbell or Boggles said such a ridiculous thing.

Do you chastise Liverpool fans for this also? Think you missed a few during the United/Pool match...

Beat me to it.
    +1.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I'm really dissapointed with tonights performance.
    We really should of won tbh.
    voronin is useless and the sooner he goes the better.

We have to win our two games and Fiorentina have to lose to Lyon for us to advance?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Podge2k7 wrote: »

We have to win our two games and Fiorentina have to lose to Lyon for us to advance?

well if lyon beat fiorentina then yes 2 wins is enough
    if lyon and fiorentina draw we have to to win the 2 and beat fiorentina by 3 or more
    if fiorentina win, it's goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

basically ya.

a point for fio in either it's over and with lyon through, be tough

some clown on bbc text:

From Alastair via text on 81111: "We're as good as out now, and by no means a top four certainty this year. It's not injuries, it's not lack of investment. Rafa has failed unequivocally to build a competitive squad and its showing."

Strachan went back to manangement. Those who can, do, those who can't become pundits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Liverpool fans celebrated the Babel goal, are you going to tell me that those who celebrated the equaliser are Lyon fans? That's beside the point anyway, as I said, people are entitled to celebrate, I just don't care for when it's done in a low brow tribalistic manner.

You'll find that most football fans will cheer on one or another team in a match especially when one of their major rivals are playing. Why would I as a United fan not enjoy Liverpool doing poorly and possible missing out on a big financial boost if they go out, weakening their future chances in the league?
    Also I'd fear Liverpool in the quarter finals more than Lyon or Fiorentina. Lastly there's the underdog issue. I was delighted when Barca went behind last week at home. I don't dislike Barca but it was great to see a shock result.
    For all these reasons and more I cheered when Lyon scored. Then I phoned a pool mate and he (laughing) told me to F off and hung up :)
    No need to get so annoyed about it. It won't be to far in the distant future when the tables are turned.

How would Souness being on the pitch have made Kyrgiakos any more au fait with the basics of defending though?

You're stuck in the past mate.

As for the Glenn Whelan jibe, I hope all the usuals on here defend Mascherano with the same vehemance that they would if the likes of ntlbell or Boggles said such a ridiculous thing.
    Mascherano is a good defensive midfielder but not a good attacking midfielder. I stick by statement that we need a second Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

or a draw with lyon and fiorentina if we beat fiorentina by more than 2 goals would see us through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Voronin and Kyrgiakos were both shocking tonight.

It's a shame we have to resort to playing the likes of them (a free transfer and 2 million pound signing, respectively) in a must-win CL game.

Players of that caliber shouldn't be at the club never mind on the pitch in such an important game, neither of them are premiership quality never mind liverpool quality. if we're being honest there's another couple not far of them either.

"We have to win & we have to score goals" Rafa....

REALLY?!!! Some insight there!

mada999 wrote: »
    some clown on bbc text:

From Alastair via text on 81111: "We're as good as out now, and by no means a top four certainty this year. It's not injuries, it's not lack of investment. Rafa has failed unequivocally to build a competitive squad and its showing."

The "clown" has a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

some clown on bbc text:

Yeah what a mad man.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Strachan went back to manangement. Those who can, do, those who can't become pundits!

I'm just on about basic English grammer.

The "clown" has a point.

yeah a ****e one....injuries are hurting us bad and lack of investment is killing us

• Advertisement

you didn't *have* to, your manager _chose_ to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Why didnt Agger go can someone tell me? That was SURELY a second booking?

Mascherano is a good defensive midfielder but not a good attacking midfielder. I stick by statement that we need a second Gerrard.

You have one, his name is Yossi Benayoun and hes a perfectly good stand-in forwhen Gerrard is injured.

What exactly are you trying to say? Mascherano should attack more? How would a "second Steven Gerrard" helped Kyrgiakos make a relatively simple clearance????

or a draw with lyon and fiorentina if we beat fiorentina by more than 2 goals would see us through
    What was it that Whelan was saying. We dont qualify for Champions league we lose 17 million. We part company with Benitez its 20 million. I think that now we are at are at a turning point. I agree we are at a better place than where we were with Houllier but really I think enough is enough. Don't think the current set are playing well under Rafa. And priority now is to hold onto Torres.

you didn't *have* to, your manager _chose_ to

Who were the alternatives?

Why didnt Agger go can someone tell me? That was SURELY a second booking?

barely touched him imo...

• Advertisement

babel for a start?

ntlbell wrote: »
    babel for a start?

Babel, for Voronin? In the hole, off Torres? No thanks.

And for defense, anybody in mind? Because it was the dodgy defending that cost us the game, in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The alternative was not to sign them and waste whatever money he spent on them wages\fee etc.

Babel's not much better though he did score a cracking goal tonight.

yeah a ****e one....injuries are hurting us bad and lack of investment is killing us

Lyon had their share of injuries tonight & a lot less money in the pot & they still drew the game & have qualified for the knockouts with 2 games to go. Rafa has spent an enourmous amount of money on an enormous amount of players & still can't put together a squad that will last a full season, or win trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

And for defense, anybody in mind? Because it was the dodgy defending that cost us the game, in the end.

Beni behind Torres. Babel wing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

barely touched him imo...

Has to be sarcasm.

i can't belive i have to explain this to a liverpool fan

torres

kyut/benny

babel masch lucas benny/kyut

no matter what way you set it up it couldn't have been any worse than vorinin.

if you can't see why, nothing i say is going to help

The alternative was not to sign them and waste whatever money he spent on them.

The problem is that he had no money to spend on them. Voronin was free, and Krygiakos was a 2 million pound signing. Rafa has had to fill his squad with freebies and bargain-basement signings, because they money isn't there for him.

babel for a start?
    Yes Babel took his goal well. But think he is better suited out right. There is just to much uncertainty in our squad. Players should be able to come in and do the role they are asked to do but they are not being given enough game time in the right position.
    Rafa will bring on Spearing in a few weeks time and we will be all surprised he struggles in last fifteen minutes.
    There is just too much instability all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

A straight 4-4-2?! Torres doesn't alway need someone to play in a hole behind him. Look at his his Villa partnership with Spain. Tops sides should be adaptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One question if teams are tied on points at end of group campaign does it go to head to head.

If it does Lyon are through now am I right?

One question if teams are tied on points at end of group campaign does it go to head to head.

If it does Lyon are through now am I right?

lyon can't go head to with pool.

it'll be head to head on fio

Did you see Voronin play tonight? Babel couldn't have done any worse. N'gog either. Its no exaggeration to say the literally EVERYTHING Voronin did tonight went wrong, he was a shambles. Hell the young fella Pacheco could have done a better job FFS.

An alternative at the back was Carra CB for Kyrgiakos and Darby RB. Don't think tha'd have been any worse than what was put out to be fair.

i can't belive i have to explain this to a liverpool fan

torres

kyut/benny

babel masch lucas benny/kyut

no matter what way you set it up it couldn't have been any worse than vorinin.

if you can't see why, nothing i say is going to help

Thank you. Sad state of affairs when you have to explain these simple things to people who support the bloody club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Shocking defending for that equaliser, shocking

What you are doing here is compairing a united liverpool thread full of fans from both teams, and compairing it to united fans (or whoever these people support) celebrating a teams goal who they do not support and are just making a cheap comment.

The fact that it happens shouldnt be put to the poster as some sort of recompense for when it has happened before. Look, there are plenty of fans from both united and liverpool who dont make the childish comments, you know, the mature sort. However, it would be nice if people from both sides could discourage those cheap comments, they add nothing and just flare up situations. Hence, the last 5 pages of any given match thread becomes a big dick swinging contest, more often than not is only loosely confined to the actual game.

Fair enough, celebrate the lyon goal, doesnt bother me as a liverpool fan, but please dont compare it too a united/liverpool match thread as a riposte to the poster for tonights game, its way off topic at best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement