Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon v Liverpool (part one of a play in three acts) [Mod Warning Post #1 & Post #506]

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I notice that Liverpool have been installed as 6/1 favourites for the Europa League by SkyBet

http://www.skybet.com/skybet?action=GoEvType&id=31&aff=705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I notice that Liverpool have been installed as 6/1 favourites for the Europa League by SkyBet

http://www.skybet.com/skybet?action=GoEvType&id=31&aff=705

Don't know if it is such a good Bet, Fulham are still in it. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kippy wrote: »
    http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/match?id=283253&league=UEFA.CHAMPIONS&cc=5739
    Check out the stats.
    Lyon had more chances, The Lyon keeper only made on more save than the Liverpool keeper.
    Liverpool did appear to have the better chances.
    Thats exactly what I said and I cant see how you disagree with that view.

Torres also missed a decent chance in my opinion, you arent saying he isnt good enough....

If you saw that game you would have seen 4 long range shots from Lyon that didn't trouble Reina at all. These are the 'more chances'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

copacetic wrote: »
    If you saw that game you would have seen 4 long range shots from Lyon that didn't trouble Reina at all. These are the 'more chances'

They also had one fewer shot on target.

Its irrelevent to be honest. If Liverpool did enough to win the game they would have won it. They didnt and everyone, including LFC fans have to recognise that fact.
    There seems to be nothing but poor excuses of late, all papering over the bigger issues in the boardroom/financial stakes.

It would be an interesting stat to see the purchase value of the players on the pitch that started that game last night. Liverpool, on paper, even with all their injuries should have won that game but they didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

liverpool didnt take thier chances so they didnt deserve to win..that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just want to comment on a couple of players form last nights game.

Voronin - had a chance to impress. Missed a sitter, and generally played crap. Ugh. So annoyed.

Babel - scored a cracker when he came on, but that was about all of his involvement. Really needs to learn how to play football, ya know, when there are other players on the same team as him.

Insua - was terrible. Id rather Dossena.

Carra - looked dodgy, but tried to push up at times. Didn't play great.

We created so many chances. So annoying to lose the 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Liverpool should have won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Convenintely overlookled by pool fans is the fact that Lyon had only one fit centre back, playing a centre mid there. They lost their right back and set piece taker during the game, and their captain and best player didn't come on until the last 10 minutes. I'd say Lyon were the team more ravaged by injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just want to comment on a couple of players form last nights game.

Voronin - had a chance to impress. Missed a sitter, and generally played crap. Ugh. So annoyed.

Babel - scored a cracker when he came on, but that was about all of his involvement. Really needs to learn how to play football, ya know, when there are other players on the same team as him.

Insua - was terrible. Id rather Dossena.

Carra - looked dodgy, but tried to push up at times. Didn't play great.

We created so many chances. So annoying to lose the 3 points.

wouldnt say he was terrible, he was very good at attacking imo

but what seems to be letting him down alot is his defending and pace

kida wrote: »
    Convenintely overlookled by pool fans is the fact that Lyon had only one fit centre back, playing a centre mid there. They lost their right back and set piece taker during the game, and their captain and best player didn't come on until the last 10 minutes. I'd say Lyon were the team more ravaged by injuries.

Conveniently overlooked by those trying to slate Liverpool fans, is that Liverpool had most of their first team injured, and had to promote 2 youth/reserve players to the match day squad.

I couldn't give a crap about Lyon, you can only beat the team thats on the field.

Headshot - I think you proved my point there so - he is a full back after all!

And for the record, when he did get forward, his passing & crossing was atrocious. Seriously.

• Advertisement

Conveniently overlooked by those trying to slate Liverpool fans, is that Liverpool had most of their first team injured, and had to promote 2 youth/reserve players to the match day squad.

I couldn't give a crap about Lyon, you can only beat the team thats on the field.

Headshot - I think you proved my point there so - he is a full back after all!

And for the record, when he did get forward, his passing & crossing was atrocious. Seriously.

torres chance ?

edit and kuyt chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its funny how people get a blind spot (be it postive or negative) about a player. Insua did perfectly okay last night going forwards. He was caught out of postion a couple of times (Agger to the rescue at least once).

Headshot wrote: »
    torres chance ?

edit and kuyt chance

2 out of how many?? And IIRC they were both completely miss-hit crosses that somehow bundled around the atrocious Lyon defence.

Did even one of his many attempts even get more than 2 feet off the ground?

Look at it blindly all you want, the only thing he did well was get forward. His use of the ball was rubbish, and so was his defending.

He's too slow also.

Mike - its not a blind spot. I used to be quite a fan of Insua, but in reality he's not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »
    Its funny how people get a blind spot (be it postive or negative) about a player. Insua did perfectly okay last night going forwards. He was caught out of postion a couple of times (Agger to the rescue at least once).

He's a decent Player while on the ball , his lack of pace is an issue which may well be a problem.

I was disappointed with benni last night I thought he was poor

rafa needs to play him in behind the striker if gerrard is missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Benni runs hot and cold, goes hiding way too easily, it's the reason he is not at one of the big clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Boggles wrote: »
    Benni runs hot and cold, goes hiding way too easily, it's the reason he is not at one of the big clubs.

0_funny_oh_no_you_didnt.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How do you get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Didn't think he went missing or hiding anything, but what he did do was play very very very deep, regularly found himself central, in our half coming back to recieve the ball and trying to pas through. I kept shouting at the tv for him to leave that stuff alone and be the one people could pass to in the final 3rd. Kuyt also didn't get involved in the central final 3rd area, stayed out wide much more then he usually does, though this was probably because he didn't have Johnson overlapping allowing him to move infield.

I definately agree that Yossi has to be central if Gerrard is missing. tbh if gerrard is there i wouldn't mind seeing a midfield 3 of gerrard, masch and yossi with gerrard and yossi taking turns of who sits further back and who runs forward, until Aqui is fully fit (which will probably be sooner rather then later anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LOL :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

jesus christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You know I'm not a man of belief but I can only trust there is a very hot place waiting for some on this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You know I'm not a man of belief but I can only trust there is a very hot place waiting for some on this thread!

Yeah, the Bernabeu in May next year.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Muppet wrote: »
    Yeah, the Bernabeu in May next year.:p

Ah I dunno if Lyon are good enough to make the final now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

as opposed to some of the tripe written elsewhere on this thread, this i do agree with.

every day of the week it should have been babel wide and benny in behind Torres.

which is why i was so happy for Babel with the goal. he must have felt like nutting Rafa for playing the 'not so divine ponytail' ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

They would probably complain it's too cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Now thats not really true imo.

Reina, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Lucas Mascherano, Benayoun, Kuyt and Torres are all first team players. 9 of your starting line up was arguably first choice. The injury crises is not as bad as Liverpool, and its fans, would like people to believe. As pointed out earlier, United have just one less injury at the moment, and Arsenal have one more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So.....how about Babel's free kick then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Didn't think he went missing or hiding anything, but what he did do was play very very very deep, regularly found himself central, in our half coming back to recieve the ball and trying to pas through. I kept shouting at the tv for him to leave that stuff alone and be the one people could pass to in the final 3rd. Kuyt also didn't get involved in the central final 3rd area, stayed out wide much more then he usually does, though this was probably because he didn't have Johnson overlapping allowing him to move infield.

I definately agree that Yossi has to be central if Gerrard is missing. tbh if gerrard is there i wouldn't mind seeing a midfield 3 of gerrard, masch and yossi with gerrard and yossi taking turns of who sits further back and who runs forward, until Aqui is fully fit (which will probably be sooner rather then later anyway).

Yup. Yossi is infinitely more effective when played centrally. He has a tendency to go missing when played out wide. When he plays behind the striker, everything goes through him and hes always involved. Its painful to see Rafa stick him out wide so that Voronin can play in the hole.

Now thats not really true imo.

Reina, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Lucas Mascherano, Benayoun, Kuyt and Torres are all first team players. 9 of your starting line up was arguably first choice. The injury crises is not as bad as Liverpool, and its fans, would like people to believe. As pointed out earlier, United have just one less injury at the moment, and Arsenal have one more.

johnson, aurelio and skrtel injured as well as Stevie and Aquilani.

agger half fit (back), torres half fit, riera injured.

arsenal's situation isn't great, but enough of our settled team from last year is injured, or not close to full fitness for it to be a big problem, especially since our squad isn't the best.

not an excuse, but we do have some very important injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

SlickRic wrote: »
    aurelio and skrtel injured as well as Stevie and Aquilani.

agger half fit (back), torres half fit, riera injured.

arsenal's situation isn't great, but enough of our settled team from last year is injured, or not close to full fitness for it to be a big problem, especially since our squad isn't the best.

not an excuse, but we do have some very important injuries.

Lets not forget Johnson. When all players are fully fit I'm 99% sure this is the team we will see.

Reina

Johnson*---Carra----Agger---Aurelio*

Masch
    Aquilani*

----Kuyt
    Gerrard*
    Yossi

Torres

Subs: Cavilieri, Riera*, Lucas, Insua, Skrtel*, N'Gog, Babel

So missing 4 from the first 11 and 2 from the bench. Add to that the fact that Torres and Agger were carrying injuries and Carragher had to play out of position.

Just to make sure we dont get into another aquilani debate, the above is MY OPINION (and the opinion of most Liverpool fans) of what the first 11 will be when all are fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/match?id=283253&league=UEFA.CHAMPIONS&cc=5739
    Check out the stats.
    Lyon had more chances, The Lyon keeper only made on more save than the Liverpool keeper.
    Liverpool did appear to have the better chances.
    Thats exactly what I said and I cant see how you disagree with that view.

Torres also missed a decent chance in my opinion, you arent saying he isnt good enough....

Unfortunately stats are a pretty blunt instrument. Liverpool had 4 gilt edged chances against Lyon's one. Lloris made 3 or 4 fantastic saves wheras Reina wasn't really tested. Most of Lyon's efforts were long range 30 yards plus as they had difficulty penetrating the Liverpool defence apart from on 2 occasions

Tusky wrote: »
    Lets not forget Johnson.

duly edited. i feel a right noob for that omission.

and good synopisis of what our starting line-up would look like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lads,this is banter its quite clearly banter.This post has generated a fair amount of reports and technically I could come on and be the big bad mod and ban Boggles for a week.I am not going to do that because I can quite clearly ascertain that this is banter.

This post is a good example of the cross roads the forum is at,a few people have a problem with it and other don't.The mods are questioned whatever way we call it.

**edit** I would just like to say,another mod may come on and view this different and if thats then case then so be it I just posted up how I see this.**edit**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dub13 wrote: »
    Lads,this is banter its quite clearly banter.This post has generated a fair amount of reports and technically I could come on and be the big bad mod and ban Boggles for a week.I am not going to do that because I can quite clearly ascertain that this is banter.

This post is a good example of the cross roads the forum is at,a few people have a problem with it and other don't.The mods are questioned whatever way we call it.

**edit** I would just like to say,another mod may come on and view this different and if thats then case then so be it I just posted up how I see this.**edit**

Good to see people are reporting rather than responding though! :cool:

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

K-9 wrote: »
    Good to see people are reporting rather than responding though! :cool:

Banned for discussing a mod decision on thread.

I am joking of course,yes its good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

greendom wrote: »
    Unfortunately stats are a pretty blunt instrument. Liverpool had 4 gilt edged chances against Lyon's one. Lloris made 3 or 4 fantastic saves wheras Reina wasn't really tested. Most of Lyon's efforts were long range 30 yards plus as they had difficulty penetrating the Liverpool defence apart from on 2 occasions
    Theres only one stat that really matters at the end of a game.

Stats, also allow some form of logical analysis of a game free from blinkers and blind optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dub13 wrote: »

Absolutely unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Theres only one stat that really matters at the end of a game.

Stats, also allow some form of logical analysis of a game free from blinkers and blind optimism.

I agree with the first part - however with the second it's the stats that are blind ; an impartial viewer of the game would agree that the chances made by Liverpool were of a much higher quality than the ones earned by Lyon.

And just to let you know I was supporting Lyon on the night.

Advertisement