Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon v Liverpool (part one of a play in three acts) [Mod Warning Post #1 & Post #506]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm also gonna go with a Liverpool win... Aurelio, Kuyt and Benny will be important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

tok9 wrote: »
    So you hope Lyon win?:confused:

Not really, draw would suffice to give yis hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Boggles wrote: »
    Going to go for a Lyon win, think it will be high scoring, maybe 3-2.

Fans to focus more on Ronnie Whelan than Rafa and the actual game after the match.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Boggles wrote: »
    Going to go for a Lyon win, think it will be high scoring, maybe 3-2.

Fans to focus more on Ronnie Whelan than Rafa and the actual game after the match.

If we do, it will only because what Whelan says will differ deeply from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Really surprised at some of the predictions, such as people saying they can't see anything other than a Pool win and they always do it in Europe when their backs are against the wall etc etc etc. I hope to God we do manage to win, be it a scrappy nervous 1-0 or whatever. Ok, Lyon are no world beaters but neither are we at the moment and I can't remember a time when we have had so many injuries to crucial players.

I think a draw myself (1-1) with Lyon scoring first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm also gonna go with a Liverpool win... Aurelio, Kuyt and Benny will be important.

aurelio didn't travel

i really cannot see how liverpool are going to win this one, they have an entire team missing with injuries and many that will be playing are carrying knocks, plus they are in their worst run of form for 50 years and lyon are at home where they rarely lose in the champions league (utd and barca at the top of their games have scraped draws there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

LYON are a good good team (ok maybe not one of the top top teams ) but they will make Liverpool work for anything they may get and may be just to good for them .(just cannot see them losing the game ) Have say that......

Tonights result depends on which Liverpool side turns up.If its the team that faced Utd two weeks ago ,a team full of commitment and heart then Liverpool have a chance.
    If its the team that played in the Fulham game lack of passion , self-destructive and no heart , then it wil be a long fruitless night for Liverpool fans . IMO
    For some reason I expect the latter to turn up , And Lyon to win 2-0 but only a fool would completely rule out any team that has Torres (pure class act )in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are out with a draw. Lets be realistic. Fiorentina will win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

rossie1977 wrote: »
    aurelio didn't travel

i really cannot see how liverpool are going to win this one, they have an entire team missing with injuries and many that will be playing are carrying knocks, plus they are in their worst run of form for 50 years and lyon are at home where they rarely lose in the champions league (utd and barca at the top of their games have scraped draws there)

Gonna have to agree here. I think I am being very optimistic in saying they will draw. Just cannot see them winning this game with their suspect defence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

noodler wrote: »
    We are out with a draw. Lets be realistic. Fiorentina will win tonight.

Which will leave them on 9 points.

If Liverpool Draw, and win their last two games they end up on ten points.

Meaning Fiorentina will need a win against Lyon to go through. I can't remember how the decide these things if they both end up on 10 points (i.e Fiorentina draw with Lyon) mean yas both end up on ten points.

Which will leave them on 9 points.

If Liverpool Draw, and win their last two games they end up on ten points.

Meaning Fiorentina will need a win against Lyon to go through. I can't remember how the decide these things if they both end up on 10 points (i.e Fiorentina draw with Lyon) mean yas both end up on ten points.

Wouldn't they only need a point against Lyon if we fail to beat Fiorentina by 2 clear goals at Anfield?

Wouldn't they only need a point against Lyon if we fail to beat Fiorentina by 2 clear goals at Anfield?

Wrong.

Assuming yas both beat Debrecen.

if you win 2-0 at Anfield it will come down to goal difference over the entire group games.

If you win 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, then Fiorentina go through because they scored at Anfield.

If you win by three goals you go through.

If you win 1-0 then Fiorentina go through.

All very messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Call me Mr Negative, but how in the name of God can people come on here and declare a convincing victory for our team tonight.
    As someone has already mentioned, our form is very bad at the moment, and players are falling apart.

And you really are for the birds if you expect Voronin to win it for us, he just hasnt got it in him.

Wrong.

Assuming yas both beat Debrecen.

if you win 2-0 at Anfield it will come down to goal difference over the entire group games.

If you win 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, then Fiorentina go through because they scored at Anfield.

If you win by three goals you go through.

If you win 1-0 then Fiorentina go through.

All very messy.

Ha, I think I preferred your post before you edited it (see below)

Correct.

So if you draw tonight, then you need to beat Fiorentina by 2 clear goals at Anfield, and hope they draw or lose against Lyon.

Good use of the ninja edits.

Ha, I think I preferred your post before you edited it (see below)

Good use of the ninja edits.

LOL, yeah I thought you lost 1-0 against Fiorentina, not 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Reina,
    Darby, Carragher, Agger, Insua
    Lucas, Mascherano
    Kuyt, Aquilani, Benayoun
    Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Headshot wrote: »
    werent lyon missing their fist choice CB's at anfield ?

One of them got a head injury while fouling Kuyt. Had to go off. Chris it was.

Liverpool to have a hard night against a good Lyon team looking to make an impression. 2-1 Lyon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

liverpool will win this 3-1, take a bit of pressure off rafa, and then probably only get a point from blues and city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I'd be hopeful of a Liverpool win. Some are saying they are always are capable of getting a result when they're backs are to the wall but tonight is a little different. It's a tougher test. Lyon are a good side and there is no way in the world are they gonna sit back and play for the draw. Scored draw is the most likely result, probably 1-1. And a stay of execution for Rafa and his men. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    If we do, it will only because what Whelan says will differ deeply from reality.

he's the new eamonn, he will only say stuff cos he knows it will generate publicity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

mayordenis wrote: »
    Reina,
    Darby, Carragher, Agger, Insua
    Lucas, Mascherano
    Kuyt, Aquilani, Benayoun
    Torres

is that the team starting tonight? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

event wrote: »
    he's the new eamonn, he will only say stuff cos he knows it will generate publicity

and cause he despises Rafa.

At least Dunphy can be funny.

He seems to have a massive bag of chips on his shoulder.

He slated Rafa for taking off a unfit Torres v Fulham ffs. His knowledge of football is seriously questionable.

Anyway this is all OT, sorry Mods.

C'mon the Pool, getting nervy now, Barca match on Set Ire as a warm up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

mormank wrote: »
    is that the team starting tonight? :eek:

Well that would be a strong enough line up for Liverpool with Gerrard likely to come into Midfield for Lucas and Johnson for Darby.

The problem is that both Torres and Aqualini will fail to last the 90 mins leading them to be replaced with N'Gog and Voronin:mad:

slingerz wrote: »
    Well that would be a strong enough line up for Liverpool with Gerrard likely to come into Midfield for Lucas and Johnson for Darby.

The problem is that both Torres and Aqualini will fail to last the 90 mins leading them to be replaced with N'Gog and Voronin:mad:

Or babeltini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

mayordenis wrote: »
    Or babeltini

seeing as he cant get into the team without torres/aqualini etc being injured I think its safe to assume hes down the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    and cause he despises Rafa.

and cos he's a .........

not worth a banning really :)

and cos he's a .........

not worth a banning really :)

We both know it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

looking very much to this match, I have a feeling it could be a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Liverpool to scrape it at the end and make me some dirty money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

My prediction is 1-1, which all things considered would be an impressive enough result.

Not hugely confident about tonight due to the injury/fitness problems. Even if we manage to field a strong enough starting XI, some key players (e.g Aquilani, Torres) will not be able for 90 minutes.

That said, on the big European occasions we usually deliver, so I'm somewhat hopeful. But on paper we must be 2nd favourites.

no im just shocked that aquaman is starting if that is the team!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

No team lineup has been released yet.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    No team lineup has been released yet.

Opr

I'm the boss, I'm the gaffer

BREAKING LIVERPOOL TEAM NEWS
    Fernando Torres starts with Andriy Voronin. Alberto Aquilani is on the bench.

Liverpool: Reina, Carragher, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Kuyt, Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Voronin, Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Aquilani, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Darby, Ayala.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought the teams were known since yesterday?

Sully wrote: »
    I thought the teams were known since yesterday?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only the match squad! :p

edit
    Liverpool:

Reina,
    Carra, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Insua,
    Lucas, Masch
    Kuyt---Voronin--- Benayoun
    Torres.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Liverpool: Reina, Carragher, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Kuyt, Lucas, Mascherano, Benayoun, Voronin, Torres.

Not bad, no excuse not to give it a good go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Voronin!! :eek:

Surely if Gog if good enough for the bench he could give an hour from the off. Bring on the long haired loon then if needs be. I'm posting this half in the hope that he'll prove me wrong.

lyon team

Hugo Lloris
    Jeremy Toulalan
    Cris
    Aly Cissokho
    Anthony Reveillere
    Kim Kallstrom
    Jean Makoun
    Bafetimbi Gomis
    Miralem Pjanic
    Lisandro López
    Michel Fernandes Bastos

Govou is on the bench

2 goals from Voronin I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ugh Voronin, I'd rather bring back Erik Meijr or Sean
    Dundee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Would rather give Babel a start instead of Voronin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And now to suffer the wit and wisdom of the RTE Massiv....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

0-3 to the Pool imo, easy hat-trick for Torres with that defence

im gonna predict a good open game. maybe 2-2 with aquaman coming on for the last 15 and scoring the winner gerrard style to make himself an instant legend at the club and then go on to catapult us to a league and champions league double with him stevie and torres finishing first second and third in next year's fifa world player of the year award...oh and i also predict andriy voronin to do nothing worthwhile the entire game!

mike65 wrote: »
    And now to suffer the wit and wisdom of the RTE Massiv....:(

Looking forward to the musings of the ever impartial Ronnie Whelan...

EDIT Ronnie has carved out a nice place for himself, first person Bill goes to, I wonder why.

what position is benni playing in folks ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement