Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyon v Liverpool (part one of a play in three acts) [Mod Warning Post #1 & Post #506]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bad Luck Liverpool. I thought they played well enough enough to win it , what a strike from babel only to be hit by a late sucker punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Very impressed with Lyon's keeper, Cris at the back and Lissandro up front. Gotta admire Lyon for constantly unearthing these top class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    They should be able to do it without resorting to lols and smilies.

Sorry, It was the easiest way to portray my smugness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That_Guy wrote: »
    Is this what it's coming to now?

I don't know is it ? I'm just saying Liverpool were hard done to tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I wonder how Lyon will prepare for the next game in Italy?
    Grow the **** up.

You may have a slight point, but as its been said to me before
    "Internet, serious business"
    "take it on the chin"

"its only a game unlucky" and more recent by a fellow in a certain red jersey...
    "gawan CSKA"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Hands up who didn't see that coming?

Every one with there hand up is an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

greendom wrote: »
    If the game went down to chances it would be 5 - 2 to Liverpool

Sounds like something Ray Haughton would say... "Ach, if he had put the ball in the back of the net there, it would have been a goal". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

If I were a pool fan I would not respond to the taunts. Its all about class and not the on field kind. Liverpool probably got what they deserved with the shocking defending for that goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

People should be allowed celebrate in whatever way they see fit - if you can't take a bit of heckling from the opposition, you should pack in the football support.

If you want to debate that point then heckling on forum = trolling, so you should pack in football forums (and I'm not calling you or anyone else a troll, just point out the wrongness of your post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

People should be allowed celebrate in whatever way they see fit - if you can't take a bit of heckling from the opposition, you should pack in the football support.

Yeah, I guess it's too much to ask that we can't have one thread that doesn't end in petty BS. Maybe you like indulging yourself in in that kind of BS, but I want to talk about the game with people capable of reasonable discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I'll be perfectly honest, I do feel a bit sorry for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Terrible Terrible defending. Id say they are kicking themselves in the dressing room.

Babel, some hit. Still highly average though.
    Agger should have gone.

Overall though, Liverpool should have won, although it wasnt nearly as one sided as the RTE commentary team make it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

anybody else think rafa shouldve gone more defensive when they scored

maybe bring on spearing or someone along that lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I feel sick. I know it was going to happen. It's been the way of the season so far. No luck at all. The Lyon goaly is superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't know is it ? I'm just saying Liverpool were hard done to tonight

Never mind "it should've been 5-2 to Liverpool". That's based on their attempts. It all comes down to who takes their chances and who doesn't. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Tough for 'Pool but defending at the end didn't warrant a win.

Never mind "it should've been 5-2 to Liverpool". That's based on their attempts. It all comes down to who takes their chances and who doesn't. Simple as.

Who said it should have been 5 - 2 to Liverpool ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Headshot wrote: »

No, I think he did the right thing, but maybe the wrong application.

A 2nd goal would have made a huge difference to qualification and Lyon didn't really look like creating anything meaningful. I say wrong application because I'd of left Torres on for the last 7 minutes in the hope that he'd pop up with something but to be honest that wouldn't have made a difference to the end result.

I think Lyon were good value for a goal, with a better final ball they might have had 2 or 3 tonight but all told Liverpool were on top for most of the game and can consider themselves unlucky not to have won it.

Headshot wrote: »

It was VERY un-Rafa like to bring on N'gog for Torres. I fully expected to see a midfielder run on when the board went up. Not saying he was necessarliy wrong, it was just not the normal move he would make when his team takes the lead that late in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

evil_seed wrote: »
    The Lyon goaly is superb

He is also the French goalie, with reference to two games coming up next week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

poxy by Lyon...

ah well... we'll still make it.... :rolleyes:

still hate Whelan's guts... he's a mouth.... ahhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yeah, I guess it's too much to ask that we can't have one thread that doesn't end in petty BS. Maybe you like indulging yourself in in that kind of BS, but I want to talk about the game with people capable of reasonable discussion.

You have turned it petty by not just taking it on the chin. Plenty celebrated the babel goal, people are allowed celebrate the Lyon one.

If i done it 20 minutes after the match fine, but two seconds after the goal I'm sorry it's perfectly fine.

Now discuss the match.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

mike65 wrote: »
    He is also the French goalie, with reference to two games coming up next week or so.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Domenech rotates between 2 or 3 keepers. With Coupet (For some reason) being his current choice. I'm probably completely wrong on that though.

....which makes me wonder why I'm even posting this...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

themont85 wrote: »
    Tough for 'Pool but defending at the end didn't warrant a win.

Agree, both Agger and Kyrgiakos were poor at the end but the latter was shocking in his attempt at defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

"He was at Birmingham before that and he ended up in jail"

Johnny Giles on Pennant.

Love the rte panel.

• Advertisement

LOUL, Giles on RTE:"Pennant did nothing at Birmingham only end up in jail."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Enough is enough. I tell you what the problem is. We were missing someone in midfield to get stuck in. A Sounness to put in the hard tackles. We were 1-0 up and yet we invited Lyon back unto us. Teams need to start being afraid of us again. We are holding back. Doubt has taken over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

if lyon play in italy like they did tonight, we havent a hope. what motivation have they to win there anyway now? theyl probly put out a load of young players coz theyr already through... hopefully theyl be gunning for first place tho and not jus settlin for qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Who said it should have been 5 - 2 to Liverpool ?
    If the game went down to chances it would be 5 - 2 to Liverpool

You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lyon were the better team over the 2 legs and justifiably sit top of the Group. They will hardly go gung-ho against Fiorentina next time out so looks like Liverpool are out. Liverpool seem to perform better in the Europa League (UEFA Cup) anyways. Must be hard for Liverpool though facing the next few years in that competition.:D

I still think Rafa is a great manager and should stay on for another couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Johnny Giles on Rte , 76 players , ........for the 25th time :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I dont comment on match threads anymore because of the heckling an BS that goes on in here from rival supporters.

Your team loose, your sore... and then some gob****e comes along and waves a red flag in your face, one time I reacted and got infracted, the offending poster got exactly what he wanted, a reaction.

A mod at the time said to me "thats football, you have to accept the heckling".

Get over it, and for the record, im delighted Liverpool are almost out now, they play horrible horrible football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

lol at Gilesy berating Pennant! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Warper wrote: »
    Lyon were the better team over the 2 legs and justifiably sit top of the Group. They will hardly go gung-ho against Fiorentina next time out so looks like Liverpool are out. Liverpool seem to perform better in the Europa League (UEFA Cup) anyways. Must be hard for Liverpool though facing the next few years in that competition.:D

I still think Rafa is a great manager and should stay on for another couple of years.

You obviously know less than nothing.

On the basis of that match (& the previous one), I don't see why the Pool deserve to go through - even if they scrape it, they'll be knocked out in the next round. They made Lyon look half decent & they're no great shakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Enough is enough. I tell you what the problem is. We were missing someone in midfield to get stuck in. A Sounness to put in the hard tackles. We were 1-0 up and yet we invited Lyon back unto us. Teams need to start being afraid of us again. We are holding back. Doubt has taken over.
    Don't know about that Mascha was the best player on the pitch, he can win the ball but you need a creative midfield to use it like Alonso was perhaps the new signing will give you that and Souness would be sent off every week the way the game is ref'd these days

I thought Mascherano was the best defensive midfielder around?:confused:

Of all the positions on the pitch you could criticise (Voronin up front, Carragher and Kyrgiakos at the back, Insua at fullback) you pick one of Liverpool's strongest?:confused:

Stargate wrote: »
    Johnny Giles on Rte , 76 players , ........for the 25th time :rolleyes:
    Yes he is right. Not enough quality in our squad. This is the Liverpool jersey they are putting on. Play as if it matters!

mada999 wrote: »
    poxy by Lyon...

ah well... we'll still make it.... :rolleyes:

still hate Whelan's guts... he's a mouth.... ahhhhhhhhhhh

You could have done with him on the pitch tonight if he were back in his playing days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Last thing I'll say on this;
    You have turned it petty by not just taking it on the chin.

Why should I have to take this tribalistic BS on the chin? It's nothing new and I'm tired of it tbh.
    Plenty celebrated the babel goal, people are allowed celebrate the Lyon one.

Liverpool fans celebrated the Babel goal, are you going to tell me that those who celebrated the equaliser are Lyon fans? That's beside the point anyway, as I said, people are entitled to celebrate, I just don't care for when it's done in a low brow tribalistic manner.
    If i done it 20 minutes after the match fine, but two seconds after the goal I'm sorry it's perfectly fine.

Fine to you, not to me. I don't celebrate goals against Man U, Chelsea etc etc with one word replies. I think about it and give maybe a one or two line reply. Not a one word or a smilie only reply. It adds nothing and is just seen as inflammatory IMO.

Maybe I'm just boring I don't know or maybe it's because I have too much respect, even if that respect is not mutual.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    I thought Mascherano was the best defensive midfielder around?:confused:

Of all the positions on the pitch you could criticise (Voronin up front, Carragher and Kyrgiakos at the back, Insua at fullback) you pick one of Liverpool's strongest?:confused:
    You tell me. We are 1-0 up. And yet they get back into game. Mascherano is good but he is no Souness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Warper wrote: »
    Liverpool seem to perform better in the Europa League (UEFA Cup) anyways.

Who let this fella in here? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

mayordenis wrote: »
    You obviously know less than nothing.

lol @ Denis :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone know why Aquaman didn't make an appearance?

You tell me. We are 1-0 up. And yet they get back into game. Mascherano is good but he is no Sounness.

Surely Kyrgiakos in particular was more at fault than Mascherano?

You.

No I didn't - that comment was with reference to this post from Headshot
    i dunno fair enough result in the end both had chances

Liverpool had more chances than Lyon and deserved the win more, that's all.

I didn't think Liverpool deserved to win the match 5 - 2 far from it. I've watched enough football in my time to know you don't win games with chances.

I'm not even a Liverpool fan - I just felt sorry for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dave! wrote: »
    Anyone know why Aquaman didn't make an appearance?

I dont understand that

why have him on the bench ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

He's ahead of his time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whealan really rubbing it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah sometimes people have a laugh or a go, or even show their disappointment when certain teams produce/fail
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62639818&postcount=85

Advertisement