Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Problem

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Was revising maths tonight and I came across a problem. I couldn't for the life of me remember what to do. So I turn to you all-knowing boardsies for help!

For those of you with Text and Tests 4, it's Exercise 2C Question 11 and 12

Q11. If Cos A = -11/13 and sin A is positive, express Tan A as a fraction.

I know it's related to the unit circle, but I can't covert the Cos into degrees :confused:

Q12. If Cos A = 0.7986 and Tan A is negative, find the value of sin A. (0 Degrees is Less Than A which is Less Than 360 Degrees).

Please explain how to do 'em, the answer is of no help (just revising, not h/w). Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

H/L Maths.

God No.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Because cos is negative and sin is positive, from the unit circle, you know that tan is negative.

Draw a right-angled triangle for which Cos A = 11/13 [C = A/H] and use Pythagoras to find the third side (opposite).

Tan A = O/A.

Leave the answer in surd form since they ask you for a fraction.

Tan A = -(sqrt48)/11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Tan = sin/cos
    how could it possibly be positive?
    And cos is A/H. Which makes that a 11,12,13 triangle, much easier.

Advertisement