Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some tasty and uncomplicated Veggie dishes?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I've Decided to become a vegetarian been thinking about it for a while but after hearing the ladies on 'Midday' talking about the sh!te that goes into McDonalds and other fast foods i don;t want to put it off any longer. I don't eat a large amount of meat atm anyway so should be ok. I just would like to have a few quick recipe's that contain protein and are actually nice!!

P.S: I know there is a veggie section but i figure everyone eats Veggie dishes so i might get more idea's here.

So, anyone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

how about just not eating mcdonalds and other fast food?

no matter what you eat, if you are eating out/pre packed, you have no clue whats in it half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

What kind of veggie are you going to be? Are you going to eat fish? If you're going to eat fish then fish pies, baked sea bass and salmon etc... are all available to you. Tofu is excellent to bulk anything up like stir fries, stews etc... Try a chick pea and lentil stew or a sweet potato curry--yum!! Veggie quiche and pizzas. Falaffel, hoummus and flat breads, couscous salads. Make sure you eat plenty of good strong green veg like spinach and kale and cabbage etc. Soups are fantastic too!!

One of the best investments anyone can make when they become veggie is to buy a good kosher cookbook. Some recipes will have meat but most of them are veggie, simple and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Get yourself down to tesco :D
    They've a great new veggie range, very handy when you turn veggie first and you can always branch out.

Some of my favourites are:
    'chicken' pieces (great for stirfry, curries)
    Mince (bolognese, chilli, lasagne)
    'Chicken' and mushroom pies
    'Bacon' rashers
    'Sausage' rolls :D
    'Chicken' pieces in a spicy breadcrumb (who needs a hot chicken roll)
    and tesco own brand leek and cheese sausages are yum too (chilled section)

Fake meats are a great way to cook the things you usually would without more hassle and I'd advise picking up a veggie cookbook to explore other veggie food.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    Get yourself down to tesco :D
    They've a great new veggie range, very handy when you turn veggie first and you can always branch out.

Some of my favourites are:
    'chicken' pieces (great for stirfry, curries)
    Mince (bolognese, chilli, lasagne)
    'Chicken' and mushroom pies
    'Bacon' rashers
    'Sausage' rolls :D
    'Chicken' pieces in a spicy breadcrumb (who needs a hot chicken roll)
    and tesco own brand leek and cheese sausages are yum too (chilled section)

Fake meats are a great way to cook the things you usually would without more hassle and I'd advise picking up a veggie cookbook to explore other veggie food.

Best of luck :)

As already mentioned, if op is becoming vegie because they're concerned about the ingredients in fast/packaged food, then eating ready made, highly processed food is hardly an improvement, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I'd assumed the OP was becoming veggie because of the quality of manufactured meat products. (apologies if this isn't the case)
    Fake meat is a good sourse of protein, low in fat and leaves no concern about what unexpected animal parts are contained in your food.

Obviously some products are healthier than others but becoming veggie when I was used to cooking meat I found their products helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    I'd assumed the OP was becoming veggie because of the quality of manufactured meat products. (apologies if this isn't the case)
    Fake meat is a good sourse of protein, low in fat and leaves no concern about what unexpected animal parts are contained in your food.

Obviously some products are healthier than others but becoming veggie when I was used to cooking meat I found their products helpful.

I really don't see how processed meat foods are somehow worse than processed convenience meat free foods. I'm not bothered what part of the animal goes into a product (eating all of an animal shows more respect for its life), I'm more concerned with highly processed, sugars, fats, colours, flavours and preservatives etc etc are in them.

To be honest, I'm a bit confused by the OP too!

Advertisement