Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hogan86

@ tripp when did you fill in the application and send it off?
    were they quick at getting in contact with you?

have never sent and email from microsoft word so did you just fill out your details from the downloaded aplication and send it off as an email through word?

going to send mine tonite!

mite pm you if ok?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

hogan86 wrote: »

have never sent and email from microsoft word so did you just fill out your details from the downloaded aplication and send it off as an email through word?

mite pm you if ok?

thanks

you can use any mail program ie Gmail, hotmail, yahoo, dont matter as long as you attach the form. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

hogan86 wrote: »

mite pm you if ok?

thanks

Applied on PublicJobs.ie - 28/08/2009
    Was contacted and told to submit App - Mid December
    1st Interview - Feb 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

hi, just got my letter in the post saying i passed my interview and exam, im delighted, with regard to the br for, the part where you have to put your aunts and uncles, is that blood relatives only or literally your aunts and uncles and who they are married to like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

jenny81 wrote: »
    hi, just got my letter in the post saying i passed my interview and exam, im delighted, with regard to the br for, the part where you have to put your aunts and uncles, is that blood relatives only or literally your aunts and uncles and who they are married to like

Blood relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Just sitting down to fill out the BR form and am looking for a bit of help:

Can the Garda who you are asked for to recommend you, be a retired garda or even a garda related to you but not neccessarily living/or from the county:P?

Also, as for the written references, can one of them be from a trainer etc.?

Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

It doesn't really matter if you have a garda recommendation, I assume you can put down one if they're related to you I'd say.

You also dont have to have written references, you just have to put down names of people that they can contact for a verbal reference. It can be anyone that would know you on a personal level for more than four or five years I think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Just wondering about applying for this. Is it a waste of time as you dont get paid. I have heard that members of the ags dont like reserve members. Also members of the public seem to have a chip on their shoulder about reserve members.. Is all this true or bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tcd

does it help to know a high ranked gard to get you through the process quicker??

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

This is on your interview application:

I think it covers what your asking.

6. MISSTATEMENTS OR CANVASSING WILL RENDER AN APPLICANT LIABLE TO DISQUALIFICATION.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

jmc1546 wrote: »
    This is on your interview application:

I think it covers what your asking.

6. MISSTATEMENTS OR CANVASSING WILL RENDER AN APPLICANT LIABLE TO DISQUALIFICATION.

CANVASSING WILL DISQUALFY*

* = the other guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Just handed in my BR orm to the local station....the guard was really helpful...just wondering what the next stage is now and how long should i be waiting???

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SarahSTARRR

collig2 wrote: »
    Just handed in my BR form to the local station....the guard was really helpful...just wondering what the next stage is now and how long should i be waiting???

Cheers!

You should get a call to go for an Inspector/Super interview. Its just an informal chat you have and after that you'll get your date for the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

hi just wondering if anyone knows anything about the background check, ive passed my exam and interview and literally just sent off br, what are the chances that you get in once you have passed your exam and interview??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

Heya,
    Im lookin about the qualifacations here,
    I'm new to this so......go easy.
    It says in the notes that you can get into reserves with a national diploma does anyone know if you still need maths along with this im in the middle of my application form and i wasnt sure.
    I faild leaving cert math but have a national diploma?- is this ok?
    Iv read the notes but still confused!confused.gif

Thanx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can you tell us about the National Diploma? What level it is? Who issued it? Please try and be specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Your chances are better - If your back ground checks on you come back clean..All back ground checks can take from a few months to 2yrs approx.. Once you get the green light.. Your onto the next stage!! :)
    jenny81 wrote: »
    hi just wondering if anyone knows anything about the background check, ive passed my exam and interview and literally just sent off br, what are the chances that you get in once you have passed your exam and interview??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

shaunerz wrote: »
    Heya,
    Im lookin about the qualifacations here,
    I'm new to this so......go easy.
    It says in the notes that you can get into reserves with a national diploma does anyone know if you still need maths along with this im in the middle of my application form and i wasnt sure.
    I faild leaving cert math but have a national diploma?- is this ok?
    Iv read the notes but still confused!confused.gif

Thanx

Hi
    I think your diploma will definitley stand to you but if you do not meet the required qualifications i.e the correct grades in the leaving cert you will be asked to fill in a leaving cert exemption form.
    you should be fine :)

Hi
    I think your diploma will definitley stand to you but if you do not meet the required qualifications i.e the correct grades in the leaving cert you will be asked to fill in a leaving cert exemption form.
    you should be fine :)

Awh thank you.

psni wrote: »
    Can you tell us about the National Diploma? What level it is? Who issued it? Please try and be specific.

I a N.Dep In Health and Social care. My over all grade in it was PPM
    I got it from NWRC.

How do i get an exemption form? do i just go ahead and apply and they send me out one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

As far as I'm aware, a Diploma in Health & Social care does not cover the basic standard required for maths. The best thing to do is to contact PAS and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sm900

Hi Folks,

Just wondering my BR form has been sent to head office for the backround checks and im just trying to figure out what they look for?? do they ring your relatives or just see who they are who you say they are? also when you leave your form into your local station do they do there own security checks? and any idea how long it can take?

thanks all in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

shaunerz wrote: »
    I a N.Dep In Health and Social care. My over all grade in it was PPM
    I got it from NWRC.

How do i get an exemption form? do i just go ahead and apply and they send me out one?

When You pass the interview garda hq will contact you in regards to the exemption form or you can contact them.simply fill it out send it back to them directly and it just goes with your file :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

psni wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, a Diploma in Health & Social care does not cover the basic standard required for maths. The best thing to do is to contact PAS and ask.

PSNI's right about contacting PAS to be sure. But here's some info below if it helps. Here's for what it says on the Garda Reserve webpage of AGS' website. (The italics are mine):

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate Examination:
    • A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    • A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows: English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level, Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level, Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    • A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects
      Or
      The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate,
      Or
      Like Grades in another examination, that, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.
      Or
      A former member who, on retirement, received an exemplary, very good or good discharge from An Garda Síochána is deemed to meet the requirements.
      Or
      The Garda Commissioner may exempt a person from meeting these requirements if satisfied that the person has personal attributes which otherwise render him or her suitable to be admitted as a reserve trainee. (This only occurs in exceptional circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

What relatives do they check?

Is it mother, father, brothers, sisters, blood aunties and uncles?

Do they check cousins?

What relatives do they check?

Is it mother, father, brothers, sisters, blood aunties and uncles?

Do they check cousins?

mother, father, brothers and sisters and blood aunts/uncles thats all ya have to include

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

sm900 wrote: »
    mother, father, brothers and sisters and blood aunts/uncles thats all ya have to include

I see.

That would mean I have only 4 people to get checked out. Would that speed things up I wonder? I'd imagine the majority of people would have much more than that.

I see.

That would mean I have only 4 people to get checked out. Would that speed things up I wonder? I'd imagine the majority of people would have much more than that.

Im in the same boat mate i have 5 but its taking awhile the woman I spoke to in Hq said it could take up to 2 yrs in some cases :mad: The
    whole application is taking forever:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GR midlands

Hello all,
    Im new here, just registered, im in the first stage of the garda reserve app's, i have my interview & exam thrusday week, so fingers crossed, im looking forward to it & hopefully in the coming months, i'll be down in templemore training!
    was wondering about how long it takes for the whole process to be completed before templemore training?, any advice, information u have i'd be greatful to get

Thanks a mil
    GRmidlands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Well the process can be fast enough if it wants to be but its the BR form that holds you up. Until that's completed your not going anyway.

I had my first interview early January of this year and and had my super interview last Friday and he said he would recommend me, but I'm still not holding my breath until that BR form comes back then i can hope i will get medical sometime before one of the next intakes.

Best of luck with your application.

Advertisement