Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭robo008

whats the average wait until Garda HRM gets replies after handing in the BR form? Iv heard weeks ro months....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tras-peachy

thanks for the replies, im hoping to get it done this weekend, just have to ask my employer for a reference and figure out who else to get a reference from... any ideas!? oh the blood relatives section, just your aunts and uncles who are your mum & dad's brothers and sisters? not their spouse!? what about cousin?! sorry these have probably been asked befor.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Just got word that HQ has sent a form to the guard I have as a reference on my BR form to fill in.Does anybody know if this is the last check for HQ to do on your BR form??

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

rookie09 wrote: »
    Just got word that HQ has sent a form to the guard I have as a reference on my BR form to fill in.Does anybody know if this is the last check for HQ to do on your BR form??

That never happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

starman08 wrote: »
    That never happened to me

Didnt happen to me either, or havent heard of it before, the Garda that recommended me was never contacted

• Advertisement

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Didnt happen to me either, or havent heard of it before, the Garda that recommended me was never contacted
    must be a new thing

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

must be a new thing

i rember that with mine just the local gardai knew who my reference was even though the guy was a garda in a different county.. once the local fellas approved me there was no problem with HR...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

This happened to me as well, last October maybe, and still waiting for BR form to be completed. I did have a lot of names on my BR form though.

I don't think it is necessarily the last check, especially if you have relatives abroad.

It is probably the case that it is sent out at the same time as some other inquiries and it just depends on how long it takes for the relevant people to get back to HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Handed in my BR form to my local sergeant and he rang me back looking for all school,college and 3 previous summer jobs contact numbers!! Does he do the checks himself before he sends off my form or who does it? Also how long should this process take seen as i had 10 aunt and uncles (blood relatives) on my form and one uncle in London!will this slow down my application??thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

lippy88 wrote: »
    Handed in my BR form to my local sergeant and he rang me back looking for all school,college and 3 previous summer jobs contact numbers!! Does he do the checks himself before he sends off my form or who does it? Also how long should this process take seen as i had 10 aunt and uncles (blood relatives) on my form and one uncle in London!will this slow down my application??thanks

It depends on how fast each station deals with your form and sends it on. 10 names with only one abroad doesn't seem too bad.

Because I'm married I had to include my wife's family as well so I had a total of 44 names and 9 of them are abroad. I'd say you will get to Templemore long before me.

• Advertisement

anyone else having problems with question 15, listing groups etc.
    not too sure what to list here! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

thanks for the replies, im hoping to get it done this weekend, just have to ask my employer for a reference and figure out who else to get a reference from... any ideas!? oh the blood relatives section, just your aunts and uncles who are your mum & dad's brothers and sisters? not their spouse!? what about cousin?! sorry these have probably been asked befor.. :(

Your brothers / sisters your mother's brothers / sisters your farther's brother / sisters both living and dead. That's all. Hope that helps

Local Parish priest or other religious person of different faith. Your Peace Commissioner - etc... anybody who holds public office... hope that helps

anyone else having problems with question 15, listing groups etc.
    not too sure what to list here! :(

Can you quote question or section it belongs to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

Hey guys. I'm considering applying to the reserves but kind of freaking out now about the background checks!

My uncle (by blood) has been in and out of prison for years! I can't stand the chap and rarely talk to him but he does be in and out of my house quite a bit! I'm really worried that this is going to effect my application

Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

kruger248 wrote: »
    It depends on how fast each station deals with your form and sends it on. 10 names with only one abroad doesn't seem too bad.

Because I'm married I had to include my wife's family as well so I had a total of 44 names and 9 of them are abroad. I'd say you will get to Templemore long before me.

Dont know about that! i have one caution for urinating in public and one caution for fighting after a niteclub one night from when i was 18!!i really dont know how this will work out for me!!!:( fingers crossed dats all!!

Local Parish priest or other religious person of different faith. Your Peace Commissioner - etc... anybody who holds public office... hope that helps

oh i got my ex boss, i hope that's ok :(

Can you quote question or section it belongs to?

its question no. 13. ' list spare tiem activities in which you have a recent interest and indicate your involvement, giving names of any organisations or clubs of which you are currently a member'

would that be your local gaa etc.

thanks for all your help 'munster4868' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

its question no. 13. ' list spare tiem activities in which you have a recent interest and indicate your involvement, giving names of any organisations or clubs of which you are currently a member'

yes this is anything you have been involved in the past, such as gaa clubs, soccer rugby you name it and club or organisition you can think of.

From that question they are trying to gather how involved you are in the community and what interests you have. List everything you were or are involved in no matter how small.:)

• Advertisement

oh i got my ex boss, i hope that's ok :(

Ya thats fine, once it's not the person you met in the local the night before and spent on the p*** with. You have two references to gather so usually one from your boss (present / ex boss) and the other is priest or someone like that. Good Luck

Ya thats fine, once it's not the person you met in the local the night before and spent on the p*** with. You have two references to gather so usually one from your boss (present / ex boss) and the other is priest or someone like that. Good Luck

well i got my present and ex boss 2 give me references.... hope that should be ok...

as for the the other question, problem is im not 2involved with alot, just a bit here and there... :( do they check up on everything?!

well i got my present and ex boss 2 give me references.... hope that should be ok...

as for the the other question, problem is im not 2involved with alot, just a bit here and there... :( do they check up on everything?!

No they dont really check out all the interests and past times.... the local Guard station usually can check this for them (they know best!!!)... If you have been awarded diploma's in any of them, photocopy them and bring it along (eg black belt diploma etc) As for what to put down as you are involved in alot.... just pick out the best ones on merit of community commitment and time spent doing it... Hope that helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Just filling out the BR form now and have a couple of questions. I know some of them are trivial but I want get it right first time.

1. My father's brother has been deceased for nearly 50 years now. What information should I enter about him?

2. In what chronological order should I enter my educational details. I presume it is from school to college. Is this right?

3. Question 9 (d) Degree / Diploma / Certificate / Other – Give Details

How much detail should I go into here bearing in mind there was a lot of detail given in the initial application.

4. Question 10 (c) Have you ever resigned, been dismissed or discharged from any employment?

I was made redundant from my last job. Should this be detailed here?

5. For the references from your employer and another person. Do these references have to be specific to the Garda Reserve or can they just be about your general character?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

1. My father's brother has been deceased for nearly 50 years now. What information should I enter about him? He is deceased you can write deceased of nothing

2. In what chronological order should I enter my educational details. I presume it is from school to college. Is this right? most one first and then work back

3. Question 9 (d) Degree / Diploma / Certificate / Other – Give Details give details of what you have attained, jst a brief note

4. Question 10 (c) Have you ever resigned, been dismissed or discharged from any employment? yes but make clear u took redunace

5. For the references from your employer and another person. Do these references have to be specific to the Garda Reserve or can they just be about your general character? guards,priest teachers, pillars of the community really or employers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Theallad

Just filling out the BR form now and have a couple of questions. I know some of them are trivial but I want get it right first time.

1. My father's brother has been deceased for nearly 50 years now. What information should I enter about him?

Just put down deceased.

2. In what chronological order should I enter my educational details. I presume it is from school to college. Is this right?

Thats what I did

3. Question 9 (d) Degree / Diploma / Certificate / Other – Give Details

How much detail should I go into here bearing in mind there was a lot of detail given in the initial application.

I'd put down the exact same as initial application

4. Question 10 (c) Have you ever resigned, been dismissed or discharged from any employment?

I was made redundant from my last job. Should this be detailed here?

They really just wanna see if you've ever been sacked or forced to resign from a position and why

5. For the references from your employer and another person. Do these references have to be specific to the Garda Reserve or can they just be about your general character?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just about your character in general, what are you like as a person, where you punctual, pleasure to work with, would they hire you again etc etc, A reference off a guard is not acceptable, either is one from a family member. Try a priest or your old school principal.

Hope this helps, I handed my form in last week. Be sure to attach a passport size photo of yourself and your references.

Best a luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thestig06

Hey Everyone,

I applied in sept 2008! still waiting...i presume on background checks, no relatives living abroad so dont know what the delay is.....Begining to think its never gonna happen.do they notify you when your BG checks are done?

thestig06 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

I applied in sept 2008! still waiting...i presume on background checks, no relatives living abroad so dont know what the delay is.....Begining to think its never gonna happen.do they notify you when your BG checks are done?

Give HQ a call in the Park and enquire about the hold up . You might also get onto your local Super and ask him to enquire on your behalf regarding delay!!

Just got an email from the Garda Reserve office to fill in this form called the GR4.Anybody got any experiences of filling one of these in and if so did you make it through to the next stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 gardatrafficop

Just got an email from the Garda Reserve office to fill in this form called the GR4.Anybody got any experiences of filling one of these in and if so did you make it through to the next stage?

never herd of it what info does it require may i ask.

Advertisement