Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

never herd of it what info does it require may i ask.

completed my second year last april and filled out the claim form and sorted my tax cert but havent got my 1000 euro yet and its almost july..
    its dissapointing to say the least..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

trail man wrote: »
    completed my second year last april and filled out the claim form and sorted my tax cert but havent got my 1000 euro yet and its almost july..
    its dissapointing to say the least..

I heard there was problems paying the money this year because they changed the computer system in Killarney. I know a few lads waiting six months for their money. i'm only waiting three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Theallad

collig2 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just got a call earlier to say I have my interview with the Super tomorrow. Was just wondering what to wear and wether it is more of a chat than an interview? Also, is it similar to the initial interview in regards to questions etc?

Cheers in advance!!

Hi,

when did you send in your BR form ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Sent away the B.R form im early march 2010..

Theallad wrote: »
    Hi,

when did you send in your BR form ?

Early March 2010.

How long have people been waiting after the Superindendant interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Early March 2010.

How long have people been waiting after the Superindendant interview?

For me, once HQ got the form it was a matter of weeks, but the Garda on the desk lost my form so from me giving it in to HQ receiving it took three months followed by a resubmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Hi,

I dropped my BR form in 6 weeks ago and I haven't been called 2 meet my local Sergeant / super yet. Is this unusual? If so, whats the usual length of time you have to wait?
    HQ have received the receipt but not the other part of the form. I reckon my form is being used as a coaster since!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Theallad

eru123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I dropped my BR form in 6 weeks ago and I haven't been called 2 meet my local Sergeant / super yet. Is this unusual? If so, whats the usual length of time you have to wait?
    HQ have received the receipt but not the other part of the form. I reckon my form is being used as a coaster since!!!!

About 3 months from what I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paddykc

Hi all,

Has anyone been asked to supply a medical certificate in relation to their health or is this done only if they suspect something is wrong?

"You will be required to supply to a registered medical practitioner nominated by the Garda Commissioner a medical certificate in such form as that practitioner may determine, detailing your medical history for the previous 5 years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

Hi guys,just got a call from the super's office there to say i will be having my interview with the superintendent on monday,anyone got any tips for it?Is it similar to the first interview?Any tips on what to wear?full suit or maybe just suit pants with shirt? Any help would be appreciated guys,thanks! :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

andrewb123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,just got a call from the super's office there to say i will be having my interview with the superintendent on monday,anyone got any tips for it?Is it similar to the first interview?Any tips on what to wear?full suit or maybe just suit pants with shirt? Any help would be appreciated guys,thanks! :):)
    well done how long since you sent your br form

clare33 wrote: »
    well done how long since you sent your br form
    handed it in at the beginning of june,have you had the interview with the superintendent yet?

handed it in at the beginning of june,have you had the interview with the superintendent yet?
    no i am waitin on the back ground checks i sent it in june

clare33 wrote: »
    no i am waitin on the back ground checks i sent it in june

does the fact i have the interview on monday mean that my security checks are all ok or do they do the interview while they are waiting for the checks to come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

does the fact i have the interview on monday mean that my security checks are all ok or do they do the interview while they are waiting for the checks to come through?

Hi and welcome to boards, you should have a nice start to the week with the meeting with Superintendent.

Being honest with you, having a meeting with your Superintendent is in no way an indication that your security checks have been complete and given a green light.

they can do the interview at any stage with the super to the best of my knowalage

Handed in the BR form in march this year. After about 3.5 months of waiting said i would ring the local station and see what the craic was with it. They told me that they sent it off and that HQ should have it. Took the liberty of ringing them and they told me they had a reciept of it but had actually not recieved the form. Rang station back and they told me that it must have stopped at a supt. office (being used as a coffe mat!!):rolleyes:. Station apologised and within one week I had my supt. interview. Supt. said he would reccom. me but havent heard a thing since. Goes to show that we have to bust some balls to get progress.

Just wondering did something similar happen to anyone?..Also, does anyone think that this has been the reason for the delay?..

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Just a quick question.
    Just filling out the GR5 form before going to the intake this weekend.

There is a section '' Reg No: ''. What do you put into this or would it be for office use?

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

Handed in the BR form in march this year. After about 3.5 months of waiting said i would ring the local station and see what the craic was with it. They told me that they sent it off and that HQ should have it. Took the liberty of ringing them and they told me they had a reciept of it but had actually not recieved the form. Rang station back and they told me that it must have stopped at a supt. office (being used as a coffe mat!!):rolleyes:. Station apologised and within one week I had my supt. interview. Supt. said he would reccom. me but havent heard a thing since. Goes to show that we have to bust some balls to get progress.

Just wondering did something similar happen to anyone?..Also, does anyone think that this has been the reason for the delay?..

Ya the same thing happened to me, just that i waited only about a month before ringing HQ, your one on the phone rang the local station for me and an interview was organised 2 days later. The form got faxed up that morning also:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 walkthisway

jmc1546 wrote: »
    Just a quick question.
    Just filling out the GR5 form before going to the intake this weekend.

There is a section '' Reg No: ''. What do you put into this or would it be for office use?

John.
    John I was wondering about that myself think we get that when were down there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

John I was wondering about that myself think we get that when were down there.

You will get your Reg Number on Phase 1 ( in the college)
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Sure no real harm in leaving it blank for now and i will fill it in when im down there if i have to.

(Just saw your message there munster4868 that helps alot thanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Yep mine got held up by about 2 months as Sergeant in station I left it into left it on his desk and forgot to forward it on until I rang to ask, not uncommon unfortunately....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hi Lads,

By looking at your replies, I feel better (not at your expense)...... clearly I'm being impatient as I only submitted my BR form in August '10.

My understanding about BR form, delays are caused by family members living abroad or the form being incorrectly completed.

I spoke with a local Garda who seemed to know alot about the BR checks as he too was in the same boat when applying for full time position.

Clearly a case to be patient as I've just read in erarlier post's some applicants are waiting nearly 18months before hearing back.

Personally, I think it's a shame the only way you hear back about BR checks (being succesful) is via medical appointment date..... what happens if the BR check isn't succesful??

Has anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Scorpio22

Hi,

Just trying to complete the BR form (which is more like a novel!) anyhoo had a few questions..

1) In relation to references section they ask for two one from your current employer and another from someone else, are these to be written?

2) I dont know all the contact details for all my aunts & uncles as my family has lost contact with them, I have a put this note on the application will this be ok?

3) How long does it usually take for background check to be done?

4) What is the next step after background check is done?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Scorpio22 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just trying to complete the BR form (which is more like a novel!) anyhoo had a few questions..

1) In relation to references section they ask for two one from your current employer and another from someone else, are these to be written?

2) I dont know all the contact details for all my aunts & uncles as my family has lost contact with them, I have a put this note on the application will this be ok?

3) How long does it usually take for background check to be done?

4) What is the next step after background check is done?

Thanks

Hi,

I gave in written references with my BR form. I think that's preferred. I seem to remember a section on the form asking if you had attached written references attached (the Garda who takes your form at the station has to fill this out).

As regards relatives I had the same problem with one uncle. I put down the last known address I had for him. At least that way they have something to work with.

The background checks take anything from 2 months to over two years. I have been waiting nearly a year and a half so far. Relatives living abroad slows the process down as foreign police forces have to be contacted. You are as well off to submit your form and forget about it for a few months. There is no way to know how long it will take and you will only drive your cracked thinking about it.

The next step is usually an interview with your local superintendent. This is much more informal than your first interview. <mod snip> It's nothing to worry about. There may also be an interview with the sergeant, but this seems to vary from place to place.

When your background checks are done you will be called for the medical. This is usually fairly close to when you start training.

Hope this helps, if I have omitted anything I'm sure one of the guys who has been through the whole process will correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cillian13

Hey, I just have two questions about the form ,for now anyway.
    In regards to the question where it says you need to give the name of a member of A.G.S who would recommend your application, I know about 15 guards who could do this, should I just put down the name of the one who I'd be closest to?

Also regarding the family background check and 'blood relatives' etc. I don't know my biological father, who he is or anything about him. However I've known my step father since I was 7 years old and his family is full of guards. Should I put him and his familys details down?

Thanks in advance,
    Cillian.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cash_123

Hi All,
    Just got my letter to say i passed interview and now beginning work on the BR form. Two questions.
    1. What is their definition of Partner? Im with my girlfriend 4 years now, but we're not married or engaged. do i need to add her family details?

Where it says have you ever been the subject of or involved in a Garda investigation? I have had several incidents where I was the primary reason that crimes were solved, one of which was fairly "hands on" so to speak. Would I include these? I know the arresting garda in each case and approximate date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

cash_123 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just got my letter to say i passed interview and now beginning work on the BR form. Two questions.
    1. What is their definition of Partner? Im with my girlfriend 4 years now, but we're not married or engaged. do i need to add her family details?

Where it says have you ever been the subject of or involved in a Garda investigation? I have had several incidents where I was the primary reason that crimes were solved, one of which was fairly "hands on" so to speak. Would I include these? I know the arresting garda in each case and approximate date.

Answer 1: No.

Answer 2: Run that one by your local Serg. Space on form mighten be enough to fully explain that you were not the subject of the investigation!!! You know what i mean:rolleyes:

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cash_123

Answer 1: No.

Answer 2: Run that one by your local Serg. Space on form mighten be enough to fully explain that you were not the subject of the investigation!!! You know what i mean:rolleyes:

Good Luck

Wow on the ball with the reply, no messin around here! :D

Thanks for that, I think its odd that they put "spouse/partner" . Is that not the same thing? even in terms of same sex couples?

Yeh might be best, they're quite the storys to be fitting into the little boxs.

Advertisement