Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve B.R Form (for background checks)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

cash_123 wrote: »
    Wow on the ball with the reply, no messin around here! :D

Thanks for that, I think its odd that they put "spouse/partner" . Is that not the same thing? even in terms of same sex couples?

Yeh might be best, they're quite the storys to be fitting into the little boxs.

I think and am open to correction here but partner is after a number of years I think over 6 that a couple are living together or have a child together!!
    Good Luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cash_123

I think and am open to correction here but partner is after a number of years I think over 6 that a couple are living together or have a child together!!
    Good Luck...

Well in the sense of living together longterm or having a child i suppose it makes sense really to call them your partner. We're living together 3 so no hassle there. Was dreading having to source all her family, they all live on the continent. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

I was in the same situation as you when i was putting in my BR.
    I was with my girlfriend for 7 years and living with her but all i had to do was put down her details and none of her familys. Went trough no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kieronmc

Question 15, regarding the references it asks for someone you know for 5 years. Just how strict would they be as regards to this?

I mean, i have been in college for 3 years and have previously used the head faculty member of my course as a reference, he has also agreed to talk to the applicators when ever necessary as i previously mentioned it to him.

I would really like to use his opinion as the reference but am worried as he hasn't known me for the full 5 years necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cash_123

kieronmc wrote: »
    Question 15, regarding the references it asks for someone you know for 5 years. Just how strict would they be as regards to this?

I mean, i have been in college for 3 years and have previously used the head faculty member of my course as a reference, he has also agreed to talk to the applicators when ever necessary as i previously mentioned it to him.

I would really like to use his opinion as the reference but am worried as he hasn't known me for the full 5 years necessary.

Call the Garda Reserve HR to see what they think, their number is on the letter you get to say you passed the interview. They're very helpful and willing to aid you with filling out the BR form.

I submitted my BR form on friday, done and dusted. Now begins the waiting game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 phil devlin

Does anyone now how long the background checks ive been waiting a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

does the form have to be done on Microsoft word ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 phil devlin

yes it does

I submitted my b.r form today. On the receipt for the b.r form that they gave back to me it says candidate number there is none on mine should I have one or do HQ fill the candidate number in when the receive the form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

you get a candidate number(on your application form) when you go for your interview with PAS

• Advertisement

Tripp wrote: »
    you get a candidate number(on your application form) when you go for your interview with PAS

****e i never put it down and the Sargent asked me did i have it and I said no and he sent off the form without the candidate number on the receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

Hey Peeps just quick update....

After a year and 6 months my BG form is finally back and finished :P woooooo so Happy out should be in the May intake :D:D:D:D:D just for people oout there it taking as long as my self .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Dubbhoy hi. Do you have many relatives living abroad as this can delay the background checks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DubDan

Dubbhoy wrote: »
    Hey Peeps just quick update....

After a year and 6 months my BG form is finally back and finished :P woooooo so Happy out should be in the May intake :D:D:D:D:D just for people oout there it taking as long as my self .
    Dubbhoy i am in the same boat as you were i sent my BR form in a year and a half ago. I am still waiting to hear from HQ rang them and said its one check holding it up my uncle in England but he has been deceased the last six months.

hi, i was wondering if you have to mention any penalty points that you might of had in the past when filling out the br form. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

you don't mention them on your BR but you will be asked about them at your medical. more then 4 and your in hot water i think. they allow you some penalty points but the way they look at it is if you have more then 4, you have broken the law on too many occasions .....sucks i know

you don't mention them on your BR but you will be asked about them at your medical. more then 4 and your in hot water i think. they allow you some penalty points but the way they look at it is if you have more then 4, you have broken the law on too many occasions .....sucks i know

Well I had 6 but they are all gone now becuase it was more than three years ago. Would you mention them even though I do not have them now?

ghost86 wrote: »
    Well I had 6 but they are all gone now becuase it was more than three years ago. Would you mention them even though I do not have them now?

six...ouch!! i think you will be fine, as far as i can remember the question on the sheet is "do you have penalty points" or "do you currently hold penalty point son your d/L". it's mad though that they as you that at the medical...who knows the forms might be changed and you might not have to answer that now, becuase loads of people have them now thanks to those speed vans !! :(

six...ouch!! i think you will be fine, as far as i can remember the question on the sheet is "do you have penalty points" or "do you currently hold penalty point son your d/L". it's mad though that they as you that at the medical...who knows the forms might be changed and you might not have to answer that now, becuase loads of people have them now thanks to those speed vans !! :(

hopefully I can keep a clean licence form now until the medical:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Have just started filling out my BR form and have a few questions I need some help with;

6 - Other relatives; Do I need to list aunts & uncles who are from & live in the UK?

and; Do I list all of my cousins, nieces & nephews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

one2one wrote: »
    Have just started filling out my BR form and have a few questions I need some help with;

6 - Other relatives; Do I need to list aunts & uncles who are from & live in the UK?

and; Do I list all of my cousins, nieces & nephews?

List all of your immediate aunts and uncles (i.e. no in-laws), regardless of where they are living.

This form does not require you to list your cousins, nieces or nephews, thankfully! Jeez the form was long enough to fill in I found :)

Can anyone tell me what happens the B.R. form when you hand it into your local station. For example, does the local gardi have to do their own checks before they send it off to HQ. Also, I heard you get an email from HQ when they get your form. How long does it take to get this email after you give it into to your local station?

they give it to a local sergeant and he writes you up...more often they try and find somebody who knows of you to make it more honest unless he/she is a relative. At the same time the form is copied several times and sent off to different sections of AGS, e.g one copy to SDU etc etc. If there is anything wrong with your form they are sent back to the station and you will be called in to correct it or answer any questions. in the end your super gets the form back when checks are almost complete and you go in meet him. he'll/she'll ask you about your hobbies, if you have a girlfriend, your current job.....he/she is just sizing you up, although relatively informal, you should treat this interview as if it were a serious one. Don't know who told you about the email thing....not true

Ok thanks for that lawnmower. I have three more questions.

What do you mean the sergeant writes you up? Is this like a report he does on you from the information he may get from one of my referees?

Also, what does SDU stand for?

Finally, what may hold up the checks/ why do some checks take only 2 months and others can take 2 years:confused:

Thanks

ghost86 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that lawnmower. I have three more questions.

What do you mean the sergeant writes you up? Is this like a report he does on you from the information he may get from one of my referees?

Also, what does SDU stand for?

Finally, what may hold up the checks/ why do some checks take only 2 months and others can take 2 years:confused:

Thanks

Yes it is just a summary report on the type of person you are. The sergeant just makes some informal enquiries thats all. SDU = special detective unit. And checks can be held up if you have more relatives then others, if you are married, your spouses aunites and uncles must be checked, and if you have uncles/aunties abroad the checks are at the mercy of their local police force.

Ok thanks, thats great info. At least I have some idea about what goes on behind the scenes. I wonder if the SDU do the checks quickly or do they just do them whenever they feel like it i.e. are the reserve recruits a low priority. Also, do they contact your aunts and uncles directly?

god not way...they just check the computers for incidents involving people listed and check for convictions. Well since there is no fulltime recruitment i can't imagine why they would put reserves to bottom of the file. and here... there is at least 10 intakes of reserves this year... we were told that down in the college when we graduated and again in our inservice training. they want to fill it this year.

well thats encouraging news. I dont have many aunts and uncles or a spouce so hopefully my checks will be done quickly and I will make it in before they reach their 10% target. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Hi i was just wondering is it ok to ring up the Garda HQ and ask how long more they estimate the back ground checks will be? As i handed in my BR form to my local Garda Station in December and had an interview with the local Superintendant in January this year, but havent heard anything back yet, so would it be ok to ask them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woodzie1991

I suggest that you ring them, but unless there are some checks back, they wont really be able to tell you how its going, because the checks are still ongoing elsewhere. But ring and see what they say :). I couldnt resist ringing, it wont do any harm :).

Advertisement