Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo woes !

• 04-11-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Today as I was going across the little bridge here in Termonfeckin seen a grey heron, so I legged it up the road for me camera, came back down and he was still there !!! Yes !

Got out my gear then went all ninja like... slowly went over the little wall at this stage he copped on to me and he stared at me, I thought feck he's going to move off, but no he stood there right in the middle of the waterfall on a big lump of grass with a golden horsechestnut and its leaves on the banks ! I nearly jizzed my knickers !! Nat-Geo here I come baby :P

Anyways I was just after getting down on my hunkers, camera on.. ahh lens cap on !! feck.. ok ok calmly take it off... Oh what a picture at I was just waiting for the camera to power up low n be-hold some school kids come screaming over the bridge... I looked up at them then as soon I looked back down he was outta there.... FECK IT !

Seems that the heron lives at the back of one of the houses so not all is lost ! Its got a stalker now :P :P

Anyone else got a woe to tell !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yep I missed two absolutely fantastic photo opportunities on Saturday because I was too much of a wuss to ask the people involved if I could take their photos. I really must develop a backbone, they would have been absolute gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Ouch! how much of a kick in the B*lls that must be!

Had a similar one when doing a few snaps around Blessington lake. This huge bird kept passing really low across the lake. I was just finishing up a macro and turned the cam to try get the bird on the next pass. Batteries gone. Quick I thought, Get the spare out! slotting the battery in I watched the bird soar by once more. Thought lovely i'll go freehand. This will be a shot and a half! Dropped the battery. No sign of the bird when I finally was ready. Was left gutted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i'm after our local heron! still haven't captured an image of it!!
    these things take time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

congo_90 wrote: »
    Ouch! how much of a kick in the B*lls that must be!

Had a similar one when doing a few snaps around Blessington lake. This huge bird kept passing really low across the lake. I was just finishing up a macro and turned the cam to try get the bird on the next pass. Batteries gone. Quick I thought, Get the spare out! slotting the battery in I watched the bird soar by once more. Thought lovely i'll go freehand. This will be a shot and a half! Dropped the battery. No sign of the bird when I finally was ready. Was left gutted :(

Could it have been an eagle ? I know in Kerry NP there is, might head there next weekend when Im down south.

Note to self must remember school times !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Haven't a clue it was around July bit it was a pretty big bird! I didn't think we had eagles in Ireland. Oh well maybe i'll take a trip out there again and see what turns up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP, just get your hands on one of these and you won't even have to leave the house to catch the heron
    00610cceadde.jpg

I'm constantly missing shots, and forgetting great ideas for shots, simply because I don't have the camera with me or don't write them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

same thing happened to me summer past in kiliney, had a 16-35mm lens so I had to get pretty close to get the shot I wanted! he saw me but stayed and kept fishing, after about 20mins of slowly navigating from stone to stone and trying not to slip into the ocean a dog came out of nowhere and chased him away!

Rb wrote: »
    OP, just get your hands on one of these and you won't even have to leave the house to catch the heron

I'm constantly missing shots, and forgetting great ideas for shots, simply because I don't have the camera with me or don't write them down.

He must be compensating for something !

I'd be afraid to have that a stray bit of light bounces off that huge lens... BAM... crispy heron !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Mine are 2 stories.
    1st was in Saint Anne's park and deep in the back of it where the weekend drinking does be on a mound about 5 feet from me was a Grey Squirrel and a Red Squirrel!! I kid you not and we all know how rare the Red ones are!! But b4 I could even get the Camera out the bag they were gone, alas theres not even many Grey's left there even let alone Red, same in PP, their destroying them.

2nd one was when I was delivering Chinese food in East Wall, a totally built up area, behind a few shops there was a Fox!!! It stayed for at least 5 mins but this idiot took longer than 5 minutes to set up! I missed the shot, I was so annoyed, it looked so surreal seeing a Fox in such a built up area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Was driving around near carlow and athy last week and spotted an old mill. eventually found my way to it along the canal and there was this really old beaten row boat no paint even left on it tied up with the water covered in little twigs and foliage.
    i thought a perfect B&W pick op so i went got camera out of car but alas no film left :mad: in it. so i drove home and didn't get a chance to go back till a day or 2 later but the boat had sunk :(

• Advertisement

Mine are 2 stories.
    1st was in Saint Anne's park and deep in the back of it where the weekend drinking does be on a mound about 5 feet from me was a Grey Squirrel and a Red Squirrel!! I kid you not and we all know how rare the Red ones are!! But b4 I could even get the Camera out the bag they were gone, alas theres not even many Grey's left there even let alone Red, same in PP, their destroying them.

2nd one was when I was delivering Chinese food in East Wall, a totally built up area, behind a few shops there was a Fox!!! It stayed for at least 5 mins but this idiot took longer than 5 minutes to set up! I missed the shot, I was so annoyed, it looked so surreal seeing a Fox in such a built up area.

I remember a David Attenborough program Life of Mammals I think, seem city people are now closer to foxes and country people... times are changing eh ! Had a look on youtube but no luck found a nice video thou of foxes in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOxAnGCDd9Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Rb wrote: »
    00610cceadde.jpg

save them as drafts in your mobile phone !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Fionn wrote: »
    i'm after our local heron! still haven't captured an image of it!!
    these things take time ;)

lol herons are popular in here! Come down to my place they are always here around the lake, altho my dad (back living at home, for shame) has the dog trained to freak out and chase them away.

They eat'd all the fishies! It's kinda funny seeing him freak across the lawn and the dog too!

Missed so many shots over the years, nothing worse than that 'AHH Feck' feeling when you do. Most of the shots I've missed have been funny shots of people, (mostly kids!) falling off their horses or ponys. Got some classic ones too tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i was passing the river today and the heron was there gliding up and down the river - i only had a P&S in my pocket, but by the time i got it out and switched on he'd gone behind some trees!! :(
    I'll catch him eventually tho! :)

Jemmy wrote: »
    Most of the shots I've missed have been funny shots of people, (mostly kids!) falling off their horses or ponys. Got some classic ones too tho!
    I will someday get that shot of contact between rider and pole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

I was making my way home after doing a bit of a shop in town. Halfway home i noticed the moon light behind some clouds. When it peeked out I was surprised by it’s size and beautiful orange color and automatically thought that i needed to get this shot. I was 20 mins from home and spent the rest of the trip thinking about locations and this thread popped into my head.
    As i followed the road, the moon would disappear from my view at times. I knew that time wasn't on my side so when i got home i left the car running and grabbed my camera, tripod, batteries, hat, headphones and orange juice.
    I made my way to the location (lighthouse). Got out and proceeded to set up the tripod. Once the moon came out from behind some clouds i was left disappointed. It appeared to have shrunk by three quarters of its former glory.
    So there i was standing in pitch darkness in a car park, near a tossed rubbish bin with stray cats walking around thinking they owned the place thinking about my missed opportunity.
    I took 6 pictures and left.

But on the upside of this i have realised that (a) i should always bring a camera everywhere and (b) that i need to invest in a torch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Mobile Blog reminded me of one a while back, but I have two tales of woe.

Firstly I was heading to Longford, passing the lakes in Mullingar. Oh what a sight. This morning the water was like a mirror. Still, and reflecting all above her beautiful waters. I on the other hand was late for a meeting and whizzing by. I applied the brakes. Traffic was up my rear end. I paused and thought. "I'll get it again". Worst photographic mistake of my life. Never have I seen that sheen again. Now if I see a shot. I'll stop, compose and shoot. Then carry on.

Second was out in Galway one night, taking a drive. On the way back home I spot the moon glistening over the bay. What a wonderful sight. I pulled over (rembering the last time) reached back for my camera, only to realise I left on my bed back in the hotel earlier.:o

Ah well. Life goes on

Keep em coming very good woes by all !

mobileblog too funny about the cats ! I can just see ya standing there with your bottom lip out, been up-staged by some cats :D:D

I also learned the hard way to take the camera everywhere Buzz I feel your pain !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 congisscri

This nice pictures, thank you for sharing them. I will return to post the picture on this forum and you'll find them great.

Advertisement