Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport For RyanAir

• 04-11-2009 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Tried a search but came up with nothing.

I heard Ryanair were/are changing their policy on passports.

I used* to be able to travel from Derry Airport to Birmingham, England, with only my drivers licence. Will I still be able to do this?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭merlin39

Ryanair have had a passport policy for a while. I went in the end of july and had to have a passport. shannon to london.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You'll need a passport I'm pretty sure of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

According to these pages, "Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences .... "

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/notices.php?notice=gops&code=090520-Online_check-in-GB

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=pid&quest=photoid

It doesn't say when this took effect, but it looks like you do need a passport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishsid

Even if I'm travelling from Derry to Birmingham, both of which are U.K I still will need a passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

irishsid wrote: »
    Tried a search but came up with nothing.

I heard Ryanair were/are changing their policy on passports.

I used* to be able to travel from Derry Airport to Birmingham, England, with only my drivers licence. Will I still be able to do this?

Thank you.

With Ryanair when travelling from Ireland, Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom you need a Passport to travel even for internal flights. When I fly from Kerry to Dublin I must use my passport, which is annoying as it is such an important document and expensive to replace.

As Ireland and the UK do not have National Identity cards Passports are required. These changes came about when Ryanair moved to 100% Online Checkin and closed the check in desks. Certain European countries who issue approved National ID cards are allowed to use them as photo ID for travel also.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/faqs.php?sect=pid&quest=photoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishsid

How annoying, I need to get the ferry over now.

Thank you all for your quick replys, they're appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Rather than taking the Ferry to Birmingham (long journey) you could take either:

flybe.com from George Best Belfast City Airport
    Bmibaby from Belfast International Airport
    Aer Lingus from Dublin (maybe with Aer Arran down from Derry)

flybe.com, Bmibaby, Aer Arran & Aer Lingus all accept Photographic ID

flybe.com

bmibaby.com

Aer Arran
    Aer Lingus don't allow hotlinking, but it is under Need help? > Airport Information > Valid Passport/Visa Information and it says:

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:

* Valid Passport
    * Driver's licence with photo
    * International student card
    * National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    * Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    * Bus pass with photo
    * Work ID with photo

Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.

Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

There are alot of options open besides having to resort to the ferry because of Ryanair! Good luck :)

Advertisement