Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The developers arre screwing us !

Options
  • 04-11-2009 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

In the Independent today they had an article on house prices and the moaning from the Irish House Builders Association regarding how bad things were etc etc ochon ochon.

In the next breath they mentioned a thief/developer who was selling houses in Adamstown. He had to reduce the price from over 300k to around 159k but he was still making a profit...

So whilst the ordinary man is losing his job, the Quinn family are having their loans written off by the Quinn group (who have screwed young drivers) and the developers are still making money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Nothing new in that. I remember an estate that was built in Athlone in '93, the houses and sites cost just over £3k each and sold for almost £53k each. The developer made over £1m in under a year. The same houses are now selling at £280k. Work out how much the banks made on a £53k house then subtract the cost and what do you have? Some poor sod paying hundreds of thousands for £3k worth of land and materials.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Should we ban people from selling houses for a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Good God no, we should insist that nothing can be sold without making a profit of 1000 times what was payed for an item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Offy wrote: »
    Good God no, we should insist that nothing can be sold without making a profit of 1000 times what was payed for an item.

And how different is a developer/builder who tries to get the best price for what he is selling than anyone else in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Soldie wrote: »

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

soden12 wrote: »
    In the Independent today they had an article on house prices and the moaning from the Irish House Builders Association regarding how bad things were etc etc ochon ochon.

In the next breath they mentioned a thief/developer who was selling houses in Adamstown. He had to reduce the price from over 300k to around 159k but he was still making a profit...

So whilst the ordinary man is losing his job, the Quinn family are having their loans written off by the Quinn group (who have screwed young drivers) and the developers are still making money.

What is the point of this post exactly. The house costs what it costs, it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. If you think the developer is taking the p1ss then don't buy the house. Every business has the right to charge what it wishes for the services it provides (bar exceptions where prices are set by law).

Your point with the Quinn group is also, in my opinion, null and void - Quinn are almost always the cheapest insurer for younger drivers, as the company is a private company, it has every right to pay its shareholders as it deems fit.

I fail to see how the Quinn group has anything to do with the prices charged by a developer in Adamstown. It seems to me that people are so intent on blaming developers and banks at any price that they are far to willing to transcend the boundaries of logic.

Change the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

No. But we should not compensate them if they make a loss or buy the houses from them at a "long term" price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

ardmacha wrote: »
    No. But we should not compensate them if they make a loss or buy the houses from them at a "long term" price.

How are they being compensated for making a loss? And what do we want here a profit or a loss? Jebus, there is no pleasing some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

ardmacha wrote: »

They are not being compensated. They lost their deposits on the houses, and have the deeds / property confinscated from them. Nama / the banks hold the deeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 skooby

the developers cant be blamed for making a profit. that is good business. why would they bother working for a loss. its not like you had a choice of one devloper to buy from. it was a wide market.
    dont get me wrong im not a fan of developers by any means. the sub standard housing left behind by a few of them is a disgrace. the unfinished sites around the country is an eyesore. the bills left unpaid to suppliers and banks is crippling the economy
    but this discussion was questioning they should make so much profit. simply put yourself in their shoes. if you have a house which cost you 120k to build and the market is there to sell at 300k wht would you do.

• Advertisement

I am not a big fan of developers either, but I suspect most of them right now would love a job that paid 50k a year, flexitime, paid holidays + sickies, guaranteed pension etc. Most of them ( except for the really big ones possibly ) got greedy + reinvested whatever profits they made in to new development land etc , or bank shares, + in the process lost whatever profits they ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

To the OP I've got another newsflash, the costs involved in running hotels doesn't increase on six nation weekends either

Price is based on what the market is willing to pay! Don't pay it if you don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

jimmmy wrote: »
    I am not a big fan of developers either, but I suspect most of them right now would love a job that paid 50k a year, flexitime, paid holidays + sickies, guaranteed pension etc. Most of them ( except for the really big ones possibly ) got greedy + reinvested whatever profits they made in to new development land etc , or bank shares, + in the process lost whatever profits they ever made.

Only jimmmy could post in a thread about developers and try to turn it into a public sector bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

:rolleyes:

In all fairness Jimmy, do you need to bash the public sector even in unrelated threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

#15 wrote: »
    In all fairness Jimmy, ...

Your question collapses there.

[I'm still struggling with the idea that if we cut public sector pay the price of private sector dentistry would come down.]

dresden8 wrote: »
    Only jimmmy could post in a thread about developers and try to turn it into a public sector bash.
    I never mentioned the "public sector" - you did. My point was that most of them are bust. As Colm McCarthy said on RTE's Frontline a few weeks ago, if you squeeze them fully, they would only be able to pay the national debt borrowing for "about an hour and a half ".

Your question collapses there.

[I'm still struggling with the idea that if we cut public sector pay the price of private sector dentistry would come down.]

Who mentioned "the idea that if we cut public sector pay the price of private sector dentistry would come down" ? This thread is about developers, please keep on topic. If you want to talk about dentists prices, I am no fan of the prices dentists charge here, but if you reduce tax + vat then their prices should come down. They charge what the market will bear. I asked one of them once why his prices were higher than those in N. Ireland, he said why shouldn't he, wages are less up North. He did not say " his wife came from N. Ireland and her brother was in the public service there and only earned half what he would in the public service south of the border.";)

To get back on topic, the original poster wrote "The developers arre screwing us ! ".
    I wonder are there any developers left in the country who have a viable business left ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

soden12 wrote: »
    a thief/developer who was selling houses in Adamstown. He had to reduce the price from over 300k to around 159k but he was still making a profit...
    The bastard, trying to maximize profit margins in his business.
    What is the world coming to?

I wonder are there any developers left in the country who have a viable business left ?

a viable business, no
    still a high class of living most of them.
    has anybody seen liam carroll busking on the streets. didnt think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

skooby wrote: »
    a viable business, no

Even if he was busking, no one would throw him any money anyway!

But, he was a successful business man for a long time. He has earned that standard of living (mostly)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

a viable business, no

No, but I bet he would trade it now for a quiet life without the damage he has done to his health.

MaceFace wrote: »
    No, but I bet he would trade it now for a quiet life without the damage he has done to his health.

What health?
    He is a rich and successful business man... so clearly he is a demon-spawn of the dark one... with deep black oil running in his evil veins...

We don't like successful people here in Ireland. Don't you know that?

optocynic wrote: »
    !
    But, he was a successful business man for a long time. He has earned that standard of living (mostly)

i agree he has earned the standard of living but my last post was done in haste and left out a bit of info. these people are certainly entitled to their high life. in fairness they created a lot of tax revenue and employment when they were doing well. the point i was trying to get across is how can these developers walk away now after been successful. surely these men that are so personally wealthy now could re-invest soemthing into the company to save it sinking.
    sorry for straying from the point of the thread. but i feel that the selling houses part is not where they are screwing people, its the fact that they can walk away from it now and be still financially sound.

i agree he has earned the standard of living but my last post was done in haste and left out a bit of info. these people are certainly entitled to their high life. in fairness they created a lot of tax revenue and employment when they were doing well. the point i was trying to get across is how can these developers walk away now after been successful. surely these men that are so personally wealthy now could re-invest soemthing into the company to save it sinking.
    sorry for straying from the point of the thread. but i feel that the selling houses part is not where they are screwing people, its the fact that they can walk away from it now and be still financially sound.

I agree, but, as we saw with Carroll's titanic battle in the courts. He tried everything to keep his employees in a job!..

It is the great Irish lie, that all successful people don't care about their employees. That is NOT my experience!

It is the great Irish lie, that all successful people don't care about their employees. That is NOT my experience!

i would like to point out that most employers i know are very caring towards there employees. more so now in the tough times as they dont want the stress of worrying about putting another family on the streets. liam carroll was a bad example on my behalf as no matter what he tried it was a losing battle.

Even if he was busking, no one would throw him any money anyway!

Actually, it is reported ( and was over the years of the Celtic tiger ) that despite the thousands of jobs Liam Carroll created, despite the tens of millions of euro tax he collected in employing these people, despite the tens of millions of euro he paid to the govt in stamp duty etc , he still drove an ordinary Toyota Corolla hatchback, dressed normally and lived in a ordinary semi-d in suburbia ( Mount Merrion / Churchtown I think it was ). To see him on a site, as he often was, you would think he was an ordinary foreman. I do not know him personally, but nobody would call it "a high class of living " as a poster on this board wrote.

N.B. I disagree with him building his apartments so small etc but that is a different debate.
    He done what the market wanted at the time, as he saw it.

Actually, it is reported ( and was over the years of the Celtic tiger ) that despite the thousands of jobs Liam Carroll created, despite the tens of millions of euro tax he collected in employing these people, despite the tens of millions of euro he paid to the govt in stamp duty etc , he still drove an ordinary Toyota Corolla hatchback, dressed normally and lived in a ordinary semi-d in suburbia ( Mount Merrion / Churchtown I think it was ). To see him on a site, as he often was, you would think he was an ordinary foreman. I do not know him personally, but nobody would call it "a high class of living " as a poster on this board wrote.

Really?
    That's interesting. A lot of successful guys out there like that. They like to make the money, but they don't like to appear to be garish with it. It is quiet commendable actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the property developers were in it to make a profit... that is what business is about... making a profit. The people I blame are the banks for loaning people far to much money to buy these overpriced houses in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

CamperMan wrote: »
    the property developers were in it to make a profit... that is what business is about... making a profit. The people I blame are the banks for loaning people far to much money to buy these overpriced houses in the first place!

But they, too, were doing no more than seek to make a profit.

Our property bubble can not be blamed on any single sector of society -- although I agree that the financial sector, a fairly amorphous group, were more culpable than most other sectors.

• Advertisement

But they, too, were doing no more than seek to make a profit.

Our property bubble can not be blamed on any single sector of society -- although I agree that the financial sector, a fairly amorphous group, were more culpable than most other sectors.

The list of sectors and people to blame is almost endless.
    And I do agree that we are ALL to blame.

But, why did our regulator not have his finger on the pulse of the financial sector. A bit of proactive regulation 5 years ago on mortgage sizes would have been an enormous help!!

Advertisement