Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satio or N97??

• 04-11-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of buying a Sony satio phone. But then the Nokia N97 looks good as does the Samsung M8800.

So which one should I get. I've kinda discounted the Samsung cause it doesn't have wi-fi. Apart from that I can't decide.

Also if I get a phone from the uk (already unlocked) I presume it will work here??

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

If your uk phone is unlocked, it'll work here, yes.

Of the 3 phones, I'd go with the n97 - now that firmware 2 is available. I had 2 in a row a month ago. They were both very, eh, faulty, but it seems to have been bad luck - faults were unlike any related to the shoddy firmwares. When they did work, I actually quite liked the n97.
    And whatever else one says about Nokia, at least they generally continue to churn out new firmwares even after the hype dies down - there are still updates coming for my almost 4 yr-old e61!

The Satio has been pretty much bashed by every reviewer. Depending on emphasise, it seems a case of 'nice try once again, SE'... And sadly, SE have a poor track record when it comes to firmware updates - except for the odd time when they successfully manage to add another bug :P !!! Also, it's worth noting that although it runs on s60 5th - like the n97 -, that doesn't mean that all n97 apps will work on the Satio (same is true for Samsung's s60 phones)... It's similar to installing Ubuntu on your lappy: ease of install and full functionality depends on many many factors.

M8800...well, Samsung... I&ve had a Jet for 3 weeks. 1 week in repair, 10 days in its box, the rest in my hand aiming it agains a hard, rough surface... (there's a thread in the Vodafone forum here).
    I also have the original pixon, which I keep because it's cam is quite nice, but it's also about the only thing that works consistently on it.

Last year I had an Omnia - quite possibly the worst wm phone I have ever used...

Strangely, my Samsung P2 mp3 player gets more firmware updates than either of those phones which possibly shows Samsung's 'priorities'.

In other words: I'd chose a high end Samsung mp3 player over Sony or Apple...I wouldn't take a Samsung phone EVER AGAIN - not as a gift; not if it ever was the last phone to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Thanks for the reply!! Loads of stuff in that for me. Think I'll just leave until I can get a nice N97.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Is the Satio touchscreen capacative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

viking wrote: »
    Is the Satio touchscreen capacative?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Bugger, not gonna get it so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

After having a few days to play around on a N97 (v12), I couldn't say anything other than avoid. I'd have been bitterly dissapointed if I bought one.

The OS is horrible, unweildy and slow that has crashed a few times when using it. There's very little of interest on the Ovi store, the gps is unusable (problem that can't be fixed with software updates) and my (admittedly limited) play around with the FM transmitter was disappointing. If you look around the web there is a lot of disappointed N97 owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd go with the satio over the n97 tbh, twice the RAM, better processor with 3d acceleration, higher resolution camera(Don't know if it's better or not though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Neither... both sluggish devices.

N97 a failure for Nokia - too many bugs and sh!tty touchscreen. Plus the N900s coming out so it'll be in its shadow.

Satio - S60 what were they thinking? Resistive touchscreen yet again... no 3.5mm jack.. i'll pass thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    After having a few days to play around on a N97 (v12), I couldn't say anything other than avoid. I'd have been bitterly dissapointed if I bought one.

The OS is horrible, unweildy and slow that has crashed a few times when using it. There's very little of interest on the Ovi store, the gps is unusable (problem that can't be fixed with software updates) and my (admittedly limited) play around with the FM transmitter was disappointing. If you look around the web there is a lot of disappointed N97 owners.

Couldn't agree more. I made the mistake of buying it and now I can't wait to get rid off it. Only waiting for the n900 to be released....

I dont know about the other but avoid the N97

Advertisement