Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network Cards?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Wireless or the Laptop forum, but here goes:
    I'm looking into getting a Dell Studio 15 for college, and I was wondering whether I should choose to upgrade from the 802.11 b/g card to another one, or whether it would make much of a difference. I had heard somewhere that "n" was some sort of emerging wireless standard, but other than that, I don't really know what those letters mean. Can anyone enlighten me as to what wireless card to go for? Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The 'ns' standard is the newest wireless standard offering increased speeds and coverage over the previous standards - b and g respectively.

Most wireless locations you encounter will be g but given the relatively small cost of upgrading I would definitely say go for the 'n' one as it builds in some future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Do you mean the one that says just "n" after it or the "a/b/g/n" card?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your link is broken but any 'n' card will be backwardsd compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

dub45 wrote: »
    Your link is broken but any 'n' card will be backwardsd compatible.

True. Well worth the investment.

Advertisement