Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonslayers Ranking Battle 3.2 - 7/11/09

Options
  • 04-11-2009 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Posting on behalf of mr_kyle who will be running this event.

Date: Saturday 7th November

QUBSU.jpg

Times:

• Casuals run from 1200
    • Tekken 6 (PS3) Ranbat from 1500

Entry Fee:

• £1, all proceedings will be donated to Childs Play at the end of the year.
    • £8 (not including the £1 for the tournament) if you are planning to participate in the Slayers 24 event. You must be over 18 due to the student union's rules if you plan to do the allnighter.

Tournament Format:

• Group qualifiers into an 8 man double elimination best of 3.

Tournament Rules:

• Matches are set to best of five rounds, 60 seconds per round.
    • Players may not change characters unless they lost their previous game.
    • Button checks should be performed at the start of the round by instantly pausing the game and checking the configuration and then restarting the match once both players are satisfied.
    • In double elim brackets, first stage must be randomed, then loser picks the next.

PS3 pads can be provided on request, players that prefer arcade sticks should bring their own.

nb: This is being run during a 24 hour event as stated above, so as long as you don't mind not sleeping (or sleeping uncomfortably!), overnight arrangements shouldn't be a problem for those that are travelling from down south. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cool, will see if I can do this (and miss Dublin casuals again :rolleyes:)

Don't you guys have lots of couches, and an all-you-can-eat Chinese around the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Don't you guys have lots of couches, and an all-you-can-eat Chinese around the corner?

Yep, this is the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

So sleeping in the QUB hub?

How much for a bus to belfast?
    Will anybody be taking a BUS?
    What times are the best bets for a bus?

I can't afford a train, no job etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't even remember if they fixed the rail service yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

I think the rail services are still borked, even though it allows you to still book the tickets on the website. :-/

If you're gonna take a bus from the Dublin Bus centre, it'll take somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours, so if you want to make it in good time, I'd recommend getting the 11am. From the Europa Buscentre, it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the Students Union.

For the way back, Buses for Dublin leave every hour on the hour at the bus station.

• Advertisement

27480487.jpg

I'm just a lean, mean hype machine, aren't I? (Seriously, just ask Roogle.)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I'll be entering this. Just wondering, will there be any SFIV? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Leprekaun wrote: »

To get to The Space just go through the front entrance (in the picture) and go straight through to the back ,it's up a stairs and is marked by a big sign.

Unfortunately I'll not be there as I'll be in the south (I've no interest in Tekken anyway!)

If the powers that be don't get too salty that we 'take up too many setups' (Slayers 24 is a general gaming event, not just fighting games), I'd be down for casuals at least. I know Mike and V-DecK will be around as well, although I'm not sure if either of them will be staying the full 24 hours.

Cool. I'm really curious to see how I'd compare against the top dogs from the north now as I've been practicing a fair bit over the last few days and developed some very effective strategies :).Since they're general casuals, I hope there'll be some Forza 3 too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Damn. Missed this til now (somehow!). Posted now anyways. Best of luck with it - any chance I can get brackets this time :) And the table was quite helpful too. If there are any photos, etc, I wouldn't say no to them being winged my way.

Are there any tournaments at the Slayers24 or is it more casual gaming?

🤪

Cool. I'm really curious to see how I'd compare against the top dogs from the north now as I've been practicing a fair bit over the last few days and developed some very effective strategies :).Since they're general casuals, I hope there'll be some Forza 3 too :D
    I don't know if the club has a copy of the game or not--if not, you'll have to hope someone cares enough to bring it in. Rock Band will always be set up as is a fighting game in one form or another, the rest are kind of just what the people who can grab the setups fancy. I'll be bringing my laptop which runs SFIV fine--as long as you don't care about having stage graphics and playing on a 15" laptop screen!
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Damn. Missed this til now (somehow!). Posted now anyways. Best of luck with it - any chance I can get brackets this time :) And the table was quite helpful too. If there are any photos, etc, I wouldn't say no to them being winged my way.

Are there any tournaments at the Slayers24 or is it more casual gaming?
    I'll make sure to note down the brackets, and whilst photos aren't generally such a big thing during these Ranbats, we'll see if we can even get some cellphone ones.

In terms of tournaments, I think we're the most 'serious' one out of the lot. Most of them are for fun (like Wii Sports Resort Archery) or are tabletop/roleplaying related, which I don't keep tabs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Photo wise, I have a proper camera. Although there really is not that much to see over and above the great sets that Placebo and Monkeyto fired up. Since you are interested I will take a few for you however. Thanks again for your support. It (my camera) also supports video I have just found out! Since I am old school and use pen and paper, you will receive a photo of the brackets.

As for an SFIV tournament, one will happen later in the month. But once the T6 tournament is over, will sort some SFIV casuals out.

Well, just wondering here, I'll be attending from 12 onwards but will be leaving at around 5 so what would be the story for my own personal costs (entry fees) and in the fighting game scene before the T6 tourney, would there be any interest for SFIV casuals? As I'm assuming the T6 tourney won't finish before 5 so I'll probably leave straight after to catch my bus back.

£9 overall. The £8 entry into slayers24 isn't set by me and will not be something you can dodge. As of yet there is no cheaper entry for people who intend to leave before 0000. That is probably due to the fact that the vast majority of attendees do either stay overnight or into the wee hours.

If you are there for 1200, I will make sure there is some SFIV on.

Oh right, cool. Cheers kyle :)

I know you are not gonna be there long. Only 5 hours as opposed to >12. The call is not mine to make. Sorry chap =(

Well my bro has decided to go so he has his own car so I hope to stay on a bit later. No worries about the cash, it would be difficult to manage it otherwise really so better to have a set fee.

Dragonslayers Ranking Battle 3.2 Results - Saturday 7th November 2009

Top 8

1st - Simon Lau (Kazuya)
    2nd - Pinku Bento Box/Vyze (Lili)
    3rd - Sean (Feng)
    4th - mr_kyle (Bryan)
    5th - Inferis (Alisa)
    6th - Roogle (Zafina)
    7th - Stu (Asuka/Steve)
    8th - Narchy (Lei)

Groups can be found here, Upper Bracket can be found here and Lower Bracket can be found here.

Points for the ranbat so far (group wins count towards your points):
    Rank | Player                    | Points
    --------------------------------------------
      1. | Simon Lau                 | 14
      2. | Pinku Bento Box           | 12
      3. | Sean                      |  9
      4. | Inferis                   |  8
      5. | mr_kyle                   |  7
      6. | Roogle                    |  6
      7. | Stu                       |  5
      8. | Narchy                    |  3
     =9. | Zero                      |  1
     =9. | Tsukiko                   |  1
     =9. | LiquidSwords              |  1
     =9. | Cloudpaul                 |  1
    =13. | mickeyhawk                |  0
    =13. | Yreval                    |  0
    =13. | Moon                      |  0

mr_kyle has a video of the grand final, no photos unfortunately. I'll leave it to him to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thanks very much! Just to double check - points from each RanBat session are added together for a final tally right? So overall, for example, Simon Lau is on 28 points? Any final prizes for the season // session?

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Thanks very much! Just to double check - points from each RanBat session are added together for a final tally right? So overall, for example, Simon Lau is on 28 points? Any final prizes for the season // session?
    Nope, the Ranbats for each game are separate, so this table for Tekken 6 will not contribute to the points earned if someone's already earned points in the SFIV ranbat.

There aren't any prizes per session and I'm not sure if there are prizes for the end of the season -- again, mr_kyle would be able to inform you if there are.

Needless to say, I'm more than a little
    582304.gif
    about how I played there. It didn't help that I don't have the game yet, but nevertheless I expected to do much better than this.

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know yet: last year Simon came fourth in T5DR at Battle of Destiny (huge fighting game tourney in London which attracted players from all over Europe). I fully expect to see him with 70 points (or 84, depending on whether or not we make up for the lost 3.1 T6 session) at the end of this season (also depending, of course, on the group sizes in forthcoming T6 RBs).
    Any final prizes for the season // session?

There probably will be for the season, as there were last season.

Sorry for AWOLing there. Overslept. I'll be there for the next one.

Advertisement