Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bikes - warning

• 04-11-2009 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Yesterday after using a Dublin BIke I arrived into work with something nasty on the top of my palm.
    Turns out it was faeces that someone must have smeared on the hand grip.

I'm really saddened that someone would do this, but I'd also like to give him a good kicking.

I hope this doesn't continue - I really love the service.

So just a warning to DB users - be careful when chosing your bike next time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

long_b wrote: »
    Yesterday after using a Dublin BIke I arrived into work with something nasty on the top of my palm.

I'm really saddened that someone would do this, but I'd also like to give him a good kicking.

Awful stuff. Unfortunately not suprising. If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up the bike.

Is there a mechanism in place to report the bike as defective so it won't be allowed out by another user?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Do you know if it was dog faeces or human or some other sort?

Could some lowlife be wiping his arse on the bikes? Might make it easier to detect if he is and people are on the lookout.

If it is someone lifting a bit of sh1te, be it human or otherwise, that they have found somewhere and then carrying it towards the bike then it really is a disgusting individual and I hope they catch something off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Do you know if it was dog faeces or human or some other sort?

Could some lowlife be wiping his arse on the bikes? Might make it easier to detect if he is and people are on the lookout.

If it is someone lifting a bit of sh1te, be it human or otherwise, that they have found somewhere and then carrying it towards the bike then it really is a disgusting individual and I hope they catch something off it!
    THAT'S DISCUSTING.i hope they catch this scumbag and make him/her clean every single bike .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I hate scumbags..they should all be led in to a pit a burned alive or gassed.The country would be such a better place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭defence forces

ah the joys of modern ireland. worst is leving your bike out over night if you go to the pub say, then comming back the next day to a bike that has it's wheels covered in urine. it's not as bad as faeces though. But one time I was leaving club 92 and saw mercedes parked in the car park, someone had excreted on the bonnet of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm still amazed that the machines for withdrawing the bikes don't have cameras inside which monitor the area. It can't possibly have added too much to the project cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It is awful, but how did you not notice it until after using the bike ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That Bike should be handed into Gardai and DNA samples removed it may come useful if the scumbag is arrested further down the line for something else. It may be worth purchasing a box of disposable gloves in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

That Bike should be handed into Gardai and DNA samples removed it may come useful if the scumbag is arrested further down the line for something else..

You never fail to make me laugh :D

Jip wrote: »
    You never fail to make me laugh :D

After all it is a really sh*t thing to do. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

long_b wrote: »

It was a random act of vandalism that could have happened at any bike stand (DB or others). Can you advise what station you took the bike from and did you report it? If they did one bike they probably did others!

I usually have a look at the bike before I take it.

Also, I thought that the locations of the bike stations were chosen because of they were in high visibility areas and therefore assume that they are probably under CCTV observation from third parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As punishment if they find him, the bike should be forcibly inserted in his arse. That'll count as revenge AND plug the hole so he can't do it again. Sdonn's patented rehabilitation right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Jip wrote: »
    It is awful, but how did you not notice it until after using the bike ?

I only noticed when I was sitting at my desk. I work just a minute from a drop off point so there wasn't much time between dropping the bike and being at work.

i picked up the bijke at the IFSC and I'm not sure what type of excrement it was.

There's a slim chance it may have come from under the saddle either, but I'm pretty sure it was the hand grip.

It may be a good idea for JC Decaux to have someone powerhose all the bikes down every night with disinfectant. It could also help prevent the spread of swine flu. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh no OP! How awful for you.

Thanks for the warning anyway. Note to self, check bike thoroughly before use and maybe bring baby/disinfectant wipes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

anybody that use these bikes on a regular basis i would advise carrying around a pack of anti-bacterial tissues or a little bottle of hand wash that you can get in tesco for like 79c.

i used to keep a bottle of this in my bag for when surveying on sites and that.......used to have to get invert levels of manhols........not a nice and clean survey:D

even without the problem the OP faced, you never know what germs are on the grips from the night before etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Still don't understand how the original poster only noticed this after s/he got back to the office...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not convinced of the story. Are you sure it wasn't leaf mulch?

Folks, lay of the hung drawn and quartered comments.

Victor wrote: »

Folks, lay of the hung drawn and quartered comments.
    Dublin also has its fair share of flying rats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

Colm R wrote: »
    Is there a mechanism in place to report the bike as defective so it won't be allowed out by another user?

In Paris, they turn the seat of a defective bike backwards as a sign to other users but also for the maintenance people.

http://www.subtraction.com/2007/12/11/ass-backward says:
    My favorite part, though, is one user innovation that’s already become widely understood among the thousands of regular Vélib customers (or so I’m told): while parked at a rack, a seat turned backwards is an indication that that particular bicycle has a flat tire, a broken chain or some other fault, and other users should avoid it. Though the rental system itself is a modern marvel — GPS chips track all of the bikes constantly, and computerized help redirects customers returning bikes to nearby locations when a given rack is full — there’s still room for a simple hack like this for users to create added value for the community at large. That’s good design at work, because the system’s users are also, in part, the system’s designers. Awesome.

071211_velib.jpg

Consider me the guy who brought it to Dublin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Victor wrote: »

Yup.

@howiya It wasn't like it was a huge clump of it stuck to my fingers. How often do you look at your palms ?

Anyway, it's up to your good selves to believe it or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Never thought of that, a swine flu scare. What are the chances of catching germs from a used bike?

Very slim i thought. The OP story sounds like a one off rare piece committed by a drunk so rare it shouldn't disturb the regular users. Its not exaactly this happens in regular everyday life about a bike!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Also, check that the quick release for the saddle is closed. I took a bike today and the saddle kept getting lower as I was cycling along. It was funny as no harm was done but on the other hand it could potentially have been dangerous.

It may have been someone acting the maggot or just that the last person inadvertently didn't secure the mechanism properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

selekta wrote: »
    In Paris, they turn the seat of a defective bike backwards as a sign to other users but also for the maintenance people.
    I'm still not convinced this is really a good idea: when it gets popular, vandals/bored teenagers will just turn all saddles they pass by the wrong way.

karlr42 wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced this is really a good idea: when it gets popular, vandals/bored teenagers will just turn all saddles they pass by the wrong way.
    I wouldn't dismiss a bike with a twisted saddle although I would probably take another one before it. It only takes a few seconds to examine a bicycle before using it, Ie make sure tires are not flat, wheels go around, chain, brakes etc intact.

Advertisement