Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins

• 04-11-2009 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Dragon Age: Origins

Anybody looking to get this ? I think it will be worth a punt.. Supposed to be the 'Spiritual' successor to the Baulders Gate series ? Dont know about that but from what I have seen so far it looks quite good. No definitive reviews out yet though ?

Any thoughts ?

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Gamespot
    IGN
    and Gametrailers all have reviews up for the game.

Looks quite good, very long and the 360 version is the weakest version. Don't think I'll be getting it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Too much stuff this month, Borderlands last week and Modern Warfare 2 next week!

Will get it down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

rizzla wrote: »
    Looks quite good, very long and the 360 version is the weakest version.

Really? Haven't read anything about that, indeed, it seems that it's the PS3 version that's again lagging behind the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I wasnt too pushed on it but looking at vids and a few reviews I am leaning over to buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Really? Haven't read anything about that, indeed, it seems that it's the PS3 version that's again lagging behind the others.
    Generally from what I've read they both have pros and cons. PS3 version suffers from slowdown alot in high action situations whereas the 360 version has inferior textures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

The gamespot review made a point of saying that the 360 version was the worst one. They gave the ps3 version 9.0 and the 360 version 8.5. I'm sure they're all very competent versions and wouldn't take away from the enjoyment of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jim wrote: »
    Generally from what I've read they both have pros and cons. PS3 version suffers from slowdown alot in high action situations whereas the 360 version has inferior textures.

that what most sites and podcast i head are saying but i think theps3 frame rate can be improve easier than the graphic on the 360

also the big difference between the console and the pc is the standard view you can also use the console one as well in the pc but not the other way round

there's only over the shoulder 3rd person in the console the pc get above view of your whole team there's also more controls of you party members in the pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hmmm, might have to go for the PS3 version so. Just wish the joypad wasn't so awful.

Was going to get this on Xbox because I fancy relaxing on my couch and my PC isn't up to much these days. But the different view points in the PC version during combat seems too good to turn down :/ Goddamit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Apparently this game is about 60 hours minimum to get through!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm, bit loath to get the console version as the PC version is more tactically based... however i don't think my Laptop has good enough specs to run it at a quailty i'd be happy with.. so looks like PS3 for me :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thinking of getting the ps3 version but it's not coming out til the 20th :mad:

just to say the sites that'll review each and comparing say that for the pc version you need the tactical view and have to pause a lot to beat some of the enemies even on normal the console version seem to have better (not for any technical reason but for game play stuff) A.I on your group

they have basicaly made two games a baldurs gate and a kotor

also while not available at launch the ps3 version may get mods later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I have been playing this since i bought it (for 360) on Friday. I cant put it down, simply amazing.
    The texture is indeed a little rough but the game play makes up for it.

Great stuff altogether.

I couldn't get over how bad the graphics were, clipping everywhere, awful textures, bows don't even have strings but none of that realy matters when the gameplay and story are this good. I would like to give the PC version a go to see how bad the console port actually is compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Just bought this totay... cant wait to get stuck in........ must Finish Borderlands first though.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Got this over the weekend, hadn't heard anything about it, just thought I'd risk a new game.

Turned it on for an hour on saturday ... enjoyed it .... turned it on yesterday and before I realised it had spent 4 hours playing. Great game. (so far)

i had loads of stuff done and was making a save because i was under the false impression that this was the end game so next up will be the final boss, not even close i need to among other thing save more ****ing elves (still loving it) i think i know why people hate those knife-ears now not like their real people anyway let them solve their own quests

finally http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/11/6/

704358679_ayGHY-L.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Loving this game but it does have some flaws and one or two annoying bits. I've just finished
    the fade section when you're taking back the tower after the demon invasion
    in the circle of magi. Very annoying mission but having finished it now I do have that sense of accomplishment that games like this give you.

Its a piy about the visuals because I'm really getting into it now. I named my elf Juriel and my battle hound Bund :P ahh making up names rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

I've just finished
    the fade section when you're taking back the tower after the demon invasion
    in the circle of magi. Very annoying mission but having finished it now I do have that sense of accomplishment that games like this give you.

Is it me or is this mission WAY harder than the previous ones? My lvl 10 mage is struggling and getting killed a lot!

Have to say it's a great game though (graphic issues aside) and has me well hooked ...

Yea when you
    get the spirit form
    it gets a lot easier because he has a really powerful spell. Then you get the
    Golem form
    and you're a tank so it gets easier. Final battle is a fúcker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

RAIN wrote: »
    I couldn't get over how bad the graphics were, clipping everywhere, awful textures, bows don't even have strings

Got this yesterday, didn't get a chance to play it much as I was busy MW2, but just popped it in, created my Elf Warrier, loading up the game, and I was stunned by the poor graphics....The Textures are the worst I have seen on the 360, its like a PC game with the graphics turned down to the last.

That said, I am still looking forward to playing the game, and the poor graphics wont put me off, but its a visually, its a big dissappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

CKWPORT wrote: »
    That said, I am still looking forward to playing the game, and the poor graphics wont put me off, but its a visually, its a big dissappointment.

I really noticed how bad some of the graphics were last night. Was in Redcliff (I think) looking out over the lake there, and some of the graphics in the distance .... it reminded me of playing Mig 29 Fulcrum on the pc way back when.

But the game is proving to be fantastic.

I noticed the graphics early on too and found them very off putting but I've since sort of forgotten about them now that I'm stuck into it. I'm liking it but I do recognise it's flaws.

The graphics are highly inferior to the PC version alright, but I still don't regret getting it for the 360. Didn't fancy sitting upright at my PC all the time for this particular game.

i got the wardens keep dlc when does it give the quest to say that he's in the camp i don't have it yet but i'm still in the origin story

Despite my earlier comments about how bad the graphics are....I am really getting into this game now, its class, the graphics aren't that bad when you get used to it.

Couple of questions for you lads though:

Can you pause the game during combat and issue orders or tell party members what enemy to attack? Or do you just run to the nearest enemy and hold A and then do what ever special attacks till they are all dead?

If you are injured, how do you dress the injury?

I had more questions but I can't remember then now at all...

If you hold the left trigger you can select enemies (D-pad cycles, click LS to lock), spells, potions and what not and give orders. While holding the left trigger you can cycle through each party member and do the same by pressing LB/RB.

If you are injured select the party member using LB/RB and hold left trigger and go to potions (9 o'clock). In there if you have some Injury kits (red icon to narrow it down) you can select them and that party member will use it.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Shiv!

When holding in the left trigger, does the game pause?

Can't believe I have played nearly 6 hours and haven't used that feature yet.

Advertisement