Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Origins

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

PC allows you the 2/3rds top down view.

yeah i'm kinda wishing i had a PC up to running this game for that reason ... wouldn't be on a 42" plasma then, so swings and roundabouts i guess ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I *got* it on the PC and tried it out - it is infinitely superior. I have a 24" monitor 1920x1200 so it looks amazing. I'll play through it again on the PC when I finish my current game on the xbox. Means the missus might get to see xfactor on saturday nights rather than on sky plus sunday morning :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Hi guys just got dragon age today and I think I did something wrong. Basically I logged onto the dragon age website to redeem both the blood armour and shale character. Both codes were entered, validated etc
    So then I went into the game itself and headed to the DLC menu where the blood armour was ready and waiting but there was no sign of Shale as an option to download. Will I meet him later in the game or have I ****ed up and entered his code in the wrong place.
    Cheers for any help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you'll meet him later in the game.. dont want to say too much more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Excellent! Thanks for that. Just wanted to make sure I'll find him at some stage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Keep getting my ass handed to me by the
    sloth demon
    in the magii tower. I've worked out the
    best forms
    to use to kill him but just dont seem to be managing to survive long enough. I wonder if I came in on too low a level.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Keep getting my ass handed to me by the
    sloth demon
    in the magii tower. I've worked out the
    best forms
    to use to kill him but just dont seem to be managing to survive long enough. I wonder if I came in on too low a level.

Have you got a healer in your group? look at the tactics set on your healer to make sure they're healing the party in a timely fashion. I have them using healing potions on themselves (for speed) and spells on every1 else. Make sure healer is all their healing and regeneration spells - you need to take a LOT of damage in this fight - and hand out plenty with a DPS mage ...

Have you got a healer in your group? look at the tactics set on your healer to make sure they're healing the party in a timely fashion. I have them using healing potions on themselves (for speed) and spells on every1 else. Make sure healer is all their healing and regeneration spells - you need to take a LOT of damage in this fight - and hand out plenty with a DPS mage ...

Valid point, I think I need to review Wynnes tactics because at some stage she stops healing and starts fighting.

Other than that I have 2 Warriors (1 Tank, 1 DPS) & Rogue as Archer

c - 13 wrote: »
    Other than that I have 2 Warriors (1 Tank, 1 DPS) & Rogue as Archer

i think you might regret not having a DPS mage ... they are very powerful at high levels ... my lvl 15 mage has 61% party damage and 600+ kills -the next highest is tank with 14% and 200+ kills

i think you might regret not having a DPS mage ... they are very powerful at high levels ... my lvl 15 mage has 61% party damage and 600+ kills -the next highest is tank with 14% and 200+ kills

Say you might be right. Might have to start try grooming morrigan as a DPS mage.

Beat the Sloth Demon anyway. Did a bit of a role reversal and let my other chars knock the snot out of him while I used Wynne myself for the healing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭inFamouxe

Is this game easy to pick up? or very confusing? cause im planning to pick this up tomorrow...

It's like any RPG - it'll start off slow and hard as you get to grips with how the combat works and you learn to make use of your limited abilities when you start off. I played it for 4 hours and then started again because I could already see how I could have done things differently.

Once you get into it though it is epic in every sense of the word. I've racked up 48 hours and not nearly finished - though I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to getting all the loot/side quests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭inFamouxe

It's like any RPG - it'll start off slow and hard as you get to grips with how the combat works and you learn to make use of your limited abilities when you start off. I played it for 4 hours and then started again because I could already see how I could have done things differently.

Once you get into it though it is epic in every sense of the word. I've racked up 48 hours and not nearly finished - though I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to getting all the loot/side quests.

alright cheers! definitely gonna pick this up tomorrow can't wait! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

DeVore wrote: »
    Is it like Oblivion or more like KotoR?
    DeV.

More like Oblivion, but without the vast free roaming.

I have to say, I absolutely love this game, im bloody addicted and trying to cover every inch of the place and do every side quest.

Cracking game, hope there will be more downloads too. 10/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It's growing on me a lot. Rented it to see if worth buying. First few hours with no manual a bit of a nightmare, bit too in depth for me tbh. More an oblivion player I think, but by god I'm getting sucked in gradually to it! Combat is still: Shield Bash, Sword, Shield Bash repeat ad nauseum though... But that's my total inexperience with 'old school' RPG games I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Initially, I wasn't too impressed with this game either, I complained about the graphics and controls, and the main character not speaking, and the complexity of combat and tactics and I like my RPGs, but I'm at the final battle now, 40+ hours later and the game is class....it completely won me over...

I will do another playthrough at some stage I hope...another 40 hours could be a bit too much to spend on it though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I haven't read the whole thread in case I read a load of spoilers so apologies if this has been mentioned but what's he best price people have seen this for?

I am very interested in getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Initially, I wasn't too impressed with this game either, I complained about the graphics and controls, and the main character not speaking, and the complexity of combat and tactics and I like my RPGs, but I'm at the final battle now, 40+ hours later and the game is class....it completely won me over...

I will do another playthrough at some stage I hope...another 40 hours could be a bit too much to spend on it though...

Iv seen you playing it a good bit alright! I have been getting cravings for it all week so I finally dived in for another 5 hrs last night. It was great best five hours session I had in a while :D Although I'm chilling in the FrostBack montains at the minute and its not as good so far as the Redcliff stuff. Still don't know if I am getting the most out of the combat, I have trouble with the positioning of my party, especially Morrigan I have her set to ranged but she still seems to be much closer to the battle then most other Mages I see. Plus there is always one member who gets killed very quickly.

Any combat tips or are they all in the thread before this :confused:

Just play with the customer tactics - you can set anyone to ranged but you can also set them to aggressive/passive etc. to avoid them getting stuck in.

I'm an absolute tank of a mage somehow - I ended up with by far the biggest health in my party. I end so many fights by running around in circles avoiding danger while waiting for my mana to build back up so I can finish the fight. Really was down to the wire during some epic battles like
    like against Caridin at the Anvil of the Void - was down to me against Caridin and 2 golems just running in circles for 20 mins

RAIN wrote: »
    Iv seen you playing it a good bit alright!......Any combat tips or are they all in the thread before this :confused:

Ya, I have been on it loads, 45hrs later and its all over...Great game. I done nearly everything I think.

As for combat tips, ShiverinEskimo explained it well to me a few pages back. I set up my custom tactics properly and it made a big difference.

I have Morrigan as a ranged damager, and she does stay away from the battle, and attacks with long range spells, and Wynne is set up as a ranged healer, she stays away from the battles too.

Then my character and Shale dive in and attack the enemies head on, Morrigan can freeze emenies and Shale can shatter them with one hit, its great.

Enhance your weapons too with runes so you are dealing extra damage, and have one of the Mages cast Ice Weapons or Fire Weapons, so you can deal out more damage per hit.

And Shiv, how could you side with
    Branca against Caridin? I chose Caridin's side, I had Shale with me though, If i had sided with Branca, Shale would have turned against me

• Advertisement

And Shiv, how could you side with
    Branca against Caridin? I chose Caridin's side, I had Shale with me though, If i had sided with Branca, Shale would have turned against me

I tried siding with
    caridin
    but I kept getting my arse kicked by
    branka
    so I just took the easy option. I had just about had enough of the deep roads - longest ****ing dungeon in history.

I tried siding with
    caridin
    but I kept getting my arse kicked by
    branka
    so I just took the easy option. I had just about had enough of the deep roads - longest ****ing dungeon in history.

Ya I had a hard time beating
    Branca
    , I managed it in the end though, Morrigan healing the 3 warriors, and then attaching from range, I didn't have Wynne at that stage...I finally managed it, and I got lucky, took out the golems early so could concentrate all on the boss.

Have you got to the Archdemon yet? Thats a total pain, the Dragon earlier in the game was easy, but the Archdemon was a night mare.

Have you got to the Archdemon yet? Thats a total pain, the Dragon earlier in the game was easy, but the Archdemon was a night mare.

I didn't bother fighting
    the dragon at the Urn of Ashes or whatver - tried it once and barely made a scratch so I just ****ed off. I'll go back when I've got some decent stunning spells. And as for fighting Flemeth for Morrigan - no ****ing chance, took the deal and nicked the book without fighting her

Ya, I went back later to face the Dragon near the end of the game, 2 Mages and a Rogue firing from range. Made short work of it.
    As for Flemeth, I didn't fight her either, I didn't steal the book, she let me have it, and she said to tell Morrigan that I did kill her, so that was an easy mission, no fighting, just a few fibs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hi guys

whats the best price on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

hi guys

whats the best price on this?

Got it for 45 in HMV, was 55 in Gamestop and Gamesnash so I went with HMV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how could you bad bastards lie to morrigan like that :(

Easily when the only other option is an ass-kickin.

Because we love her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Because we love her

Just did the Mage Tower.
    what a deadly section of the game, at first it was kind of annoying on till I started finding skill points all over the shop :) and started kicking ass as a Golem

Gah I read one of the spoilers that I really shouldn't have.

Advertisement