Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAMC (Remounts) Did they have an insignia?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

An ancestor of mine enlisted in the Remounts corps stationed in England towards the end of the war, then afterwards was transferred to Kantara, Egypt. Would his unit have a special insignia/uniform of were they just labourers who worked with horses??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

My great great grandfather served in WW1 in the remounts. He was from a family that lived and breathed horses. He trained and worked with race horses as a civilian so the remounts was an obvious option for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I know the Remounts of the Army Service Corps had there own badge,will have a look later to see if the RAMC had one

I can't find any reference to any other corps other than the ASC having a remount badge, below is some info off the Long Long Trail web site

The ASC Remounts Companies
    The ASC Remounts Service was responsible for the provisioning of horses and mules to all other army units. It was not a large part of the ASC, despite the huge numbers of animals produced, amounting to only four Remount Squadrons in 1914 that ran 4 Remount Depots at home (Woolwich, Dublin, Melton Mowbray and Arborfield).

A Remount Squadron consisted of approximately 200 soldiers, who obtained and trained 500 horses. They were generally older, experienced soldiers

A Base Remount Depot (with 2,600 animals) and two Advanced Remount Depots (300 each) went to France with the original British Expeditionary Force. As the campaign continued, two further Base Remount Depots opened at the base ports.

At the peak in December 1917, these facilities were training a total of 93,847 horses and 36,613 mules.

Animals were obtained by compulsory purchase in the United Kingdom and by purchasing from North and South America, New Zealand, Spain, Portugal, India and China.

As the army expanded, several more ASC Remount Squadrons were established at home and overseas. ASC Remounts personnel in the Middle East theatres were supplemented by similar units of the Indian Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

A tad off topic, Lusk Remount farm was only 5 mins from me, does anyone know if any imagines exist of this? I know the IRA burnt it down. What was was its involvement in WW1?

• Advertisement

Advertisement