Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new user: Some questions

Options
  • 04-11-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am new to the use of boards.ie and similar forums, some questions if I may:

1. My preferred login name is "thefuture Initiative", as this has been used in other forums (seemingly based on similar software to boards.ie) and we'd like to be consistant. Also, it is the name of an association and we'd rather not abbreviate it. Can we have the full name, if it isn't too much bother (the signon process wouldn't accept the length)?

2. Can we upload out own Avatar image?

3. We seem to have restrictions on use of a signature including a url for some reason.

Your assistance is appreciated,

Best wishes,

Diarmaid Ó Cadhla

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1. My preferred login name is "thefuture Initiative", as this has been used in other forums (seemingly based on similar software to boards.ie) and we'd like to be consistant. Also, it is the name of an association and we'd rather not abbreviate it. Can we have the full name, if it isn't too much bother (the signon process wouldn't accept the length)?

3. We seem to have restrictions on use of a signature including a url for some reason.

Best wishes,

Diarmaid Ó Cadhla

In answer to 2 and 3 at least.

2. Custom avatars are only for subscribers.

3. Sigs are also restricted until you have a certain amount of posts ( can't remember if it's 10 or 25) as an anti-spammer measure.

And given that you refer to "we" and the use of URL's, any attempt at self promotion will be cut short quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thefuture Init.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not sure what qualifies as "self promote", I have nothing to sell if that is what is intended. 'thefuture Initiative' is a political association and when we post we consider it best that people know this, therefore the intention was to have a url with a homepage identified in sig., an Avatar with a logo.

For guidance - do political parties or groupings participate in the forums? and if so do they do so as identified organisations or is it simply down to individuals on their own behalf?

Wanting to get it right ...

Thanks,

Diarmaid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm not sure what qualifies as "self promote", I have nothing to sell if that is what is intended. 'thefuture Initiative' is a political association and when we post we consider it best that people know this, therefore the intention was to have a url with a homepage identified in sig., an Avatar with a logo.

For guidance - do political parties or groupings participate in the forums? and if so do they do so as identified organisations or is it simply down to individuals on their own behalf?

Wanting to get it right ...

Thanks,

Diarmaid

Official representatives from groups, including political are allowed, but only be arrangement. You can see examples here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

You had best contact an admin about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Best wishes,

Diarmaid Ó Cadhla

Hi Diarmaid

Can you drop me a line at hello[at]boards.ie please with who you are and what you represent and why you want to post?

We don't have any problem with you interacting - and thanks for doing so transparently - but like yourself, just want to get it right.

Thanks

Darragh

Advertisement